02 BAJA 500 CARS

FABRICATOR

Reaction
KIA TT

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

Attachments

FABRICATOR

Reaction
KIA TT

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

Attachments

FABRICATOR

Reaction
KIA TT

Attachments

FABRICATOR

Reaction
KIA TT

Attachments

DougM

Reaction
Why the black electrical tape wrapped around the axle? Ive seen this on quad axles as well?

dm

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
The tape is to protect the axle from rocks. An axle is just like a torsion bar, if you nick it will shear at that point.

Tony
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.y-not-productions.com>www.y-not-productions.com</A>

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
never thought of that.

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
A rock hitting it could create a sharp radius or stress riser and that could propogate into more and then shear.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
where are the edlebrocks shocks? Guess they really were for show.

Duct tape is like the Force.It has a light side and a dark side,and it holds the universe together.

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: "Plus it keeps the axle from rusting. Which also causes the axle to become weaker."

Josh,
Actually, the tape is a bad deal for this. Water usually gets trapped under the tape and causes corrosion. You need to coat the entire axle with some type of urethane or plastic coat for it to be effective. Layers of tape just don't seal well enough to keep the water out.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: if you nick it will shear at that point.

aka stress riser! :-0

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
already had that covered Dave...

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

ntsqd

Reaction
3M does make a tape that will seal the water out. It's ~$33 for a roll and about 1/16"-3/32" thick. If anyone is interested I'll get the p/n (PM me).
It's used on the 10kV transmission lines and self vulcanizes in about a day. You're actually supposed to wrap it sticky side out and then cover it with 'normal' electrical tape.
MSD also sells a self vulcanizing tape. Don't know how either will stand up to the abrasive environ around an axle halfshaft.
I'm old school, I use a chunk of tight fitting Greenstripe hose slipped on b4 the last CV is installed.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

BradM

Reaction
Scotch (3M) 130C is a rubber vulcanizing tape. It about $8/roll. We use it all the time in cablehead terminations for downhole tools to seal out fluids and gas. We pressure test our cableheads to 10,000psi all the time. It is actually a three step process. Teflon tape for electrical insulation. Rubber vulcanizing tape for the seal. then Scotch 88 (high end electrical tape) to hold it all together.

I am sure that is more than you wanted to know.

<font color=yellow>I'm old school, I use a chunk of tight fitting Greenstripe hose slipped on b4 the last CV is installed.</font color=yellow>

old school?? Is that a new way to say cheap?? :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BradM on 06/07/02 07:43 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

Josh_Westwood

Reaction
I haven't had a problem yet. I just change it when it starts to get old and not once have I had any rust.