On Topic 02 tundra v8 build

Im just starting to get into actual desert racing ive been offroading for most of my life and going to build my 02 tundra access cab v8 2wd and im not sure which class to start in or how much to build my truck im doing it slowly because by no means am i rich im going long travel cage front to back and im not sure from there

Attachments

Im just starting to get into actual desert racing ive been offroading for most of my life and going to build my 02 tundra access cab v8 2wd and im not sure which class to start in or how much to build my truck im doing it slowly because by no means am i rich im going long travel cage front to back and im not sure from there
Can anyone help me on classes and how extensive to build or is there any leads on doing small races and building my way up

BigBlue&Goldie

You don't want to hear this, but your plan is not cost effective and your truck will never be competitive if you don't even know what class you want to race.

Keep the truck to pull a race bike, quad, or UTV.

J Prich

The path to garage built racing utopia is littered with the corpses of broken budgets, unrealistic expectations, and lost motivation.

That said, my advice is find local friends that have racing experience that can steer your decisions and hopefully help you. Keep your expectations low...start simple and be realistic about what you think you're going to accomplish. Keep the truck usable for as long as possible...in the event that the pipe dream doesn't materialize, at least you can still have a truck you can play with. Don't gut it and go full kill, just add piece by piece. List out all the parts and things you think you'll need to get it to where you envision it, then game plan for how you can add those pieces without completely gutting the truck right out of the gate.

But also...

- Sell it and buy a UTV.
- Don't build that truck, buy an already built vehicle in Class XXX (that I race in) which is totally the best and coolest and most cost effective.
- Quit now because you don't know what you're doing and it'll never work.
- 1600 is the best class ever.

Just trying to cover all bases here.

y2kbaja

There are all kinds of garage builds out there racing. We're not talking racing and winning Baja or BITD, but the local series. And all of them are having fun. Are they rich and top notch builds? no. But smiles per mile is high.
I do, however, agree with a lot of the above...buy a used truck, buy a utv, buy a buggy (1600, 9, 11) and use the tundy to tow.

You don't want to hear this, but your plan is not cost effective and your truck will never be competitive if you don't even know what class you want to race.

Keep the truck to pull a race bike, quad, or UTV.
Sportsman's class
There are all kinds of garage builds out there racing. We're not talking racing and winning Baja or BITD, but the local series. And all of them are having fun. Are they rich and top notch builds? no. But smiles per mile is high.
I do, however, agree with a lot of the above...buy a used truck, buy a utv, buy a buggy (1600, 9, 11) and use the tundy to tow.
Agreed i will be using the tundra as a tow or even chase vehicle it very highly cost to build it to race im looking into buying a used race vehicle and going from there

mattro

How much money do you have to get started? Do you have fab skills or pay a shop to do the work? Look at class 2000 in SNORE. Usually about 5-6 trucks racing at most races. You can always start slow and build up the truck as you go. do you have a budget set for the 1st part?

How much money do you have to get started? Do you have fab skills or pay a shop to do the work? Look at class 2000 in SNORE. Usually about 5-6 trucks racing at most races. You can always start slow and build up the truck as you go. do you have a budget set for the 1st part?
Yes looking to spend around 4 grand for a starter and go from there and i have a fab guy can weld great doesn't do alot of racing fab but can weld and i am pretty mechanically inclined

mattro

First and foremost is safety. Having a guy who can weld is great, but knowing how to design a cage so that it performs when its needed to is a whole other ball game... By no means am I trying to discourage you. I started with less than you. I also learned alot of lessons th hard way.

4K wont get you very far.... A long travel kit from total chaos is right at 3400$, and that doesn't include shocks.

First and foremost is safety. Having a guy who can weld is great, but knowing how to design a cage so that it performs when its needed to is a whole other ball game... By no means am I trying to discourage you. I started with less than you. I also learned alot of lessons th hard way.

4K wont get you very far.... A long travel kit from total chaos is right at 3400$, and that doesn't include shocks.
I wanna buy something that is built not necessarily all the way but im not gonna build my truck im gonna use it to tow now

jon coleman

I cant wait to build somthing, there is so much stuff out there to do it cheap, just do it likeJP said, dont chop it all up and go all ADHD, one thing at a time, and remember, you dont need 4 inch 5 tube bypass shox to race, junk yard Bilstien s will gitter' done;)

I cant wait to build somthing, there is so much stuff out there to do it cheap, just do it likeJP said, dont chop it all up and go all ADHD, one thing at a time, and remember, you dont need 4 inch 5 tube bypass shox to race, junk yard Bilstien s will gitter' done;)
Im still gonna work on my truck piece by piece just not gonna go full send right awsy i got two kids and a wife but my dream is to race so gonna make that happen if anyone has a co driver seat open or something ill take that too!!!!

Curtis Guise

Administrator
@azdesert_racing Find a team that could use some help. Go to the races, chase for them, work in the pits, whatever help they could use. You will instantly learn more about racing and maybe even get a chance to jump in the co-driver seat.

I started out in the 90's with a 2wd Toyota and started building it as a prerunner in my parents garage. That escalated quickly and I started racing MDR and VORRA in 7s. Then it escalated even more when I cut the front suspension off and turned it into a 7 open truck. For the most part I taught myself how to build the truck and had help from some friends that had experience. That truck wouldn't have been competitive in SCORE but it was perfect for VORRA and MDR. FYI, MDR was a series that ran in Barstow and Lucerne. They are gone and MORE runs the races out there now.

Racing was fun but I also didn't have a wife and kids at the time. I'd love to race again but can't justify the expense. I ended up selling the race truck around 2001 and bought a T100 that I built into a prerunner. Not saying you can't do it while having a wife and kids, it just depends on how much time and disposable income you have.

51rcr

go finance a utv of your liking and put the money you have into the necessity basic items and have fun. Maybe ya can find a 9 car around cheap. Hey if ya get burned out ya can sell the UTV and figure any losses as rent and the best part is if ya crash it bad out playing around you actually have affordable insurance on it. Besides you will have more fun going and playing which you will do way more then race. Just look at entry fees and think how many weekends ya can go have fun for that.

go finance a utv of your liking and put the money you have into the necessity basic items and have fun. Maybe ya can find a 9 car around cheap. Hey if ya get burned out ya can sell the UTV and figure any losses as rent and the best part is if ya crash it bad out playing around you actually have affordable insurance on it. Besides you will have more fun going and playing which you will do way more then race. Just look at entry fees and think how many weekends ya can go have fun for that.
Id rather pursue my dreams of racing i can play in my truck jajaja

51rcr

Renting? Details and any leads?
I dont know much about it and havent done it. But lots have and have great stories. There is a section in the classifieds. not many there. but post up your looking. Petes Baja lites used to be popular common rentals. VORR rents. I think i seen some and you could inquire with Trophy Lite if they are or know. Wide Open cars for BAJA which also do the catered adventures. Try a new post asking what people know of thats currently available and what costs and services and experiences are. Sometimes it sounds spendy. But ya show up and drive.
Also a neat class is vintage if ya can find an older racer. Thats still like old racing. A finish is a win and ya have to run smart to do it.