09 CRF450R Question

Gio188

Reaction
Hello:
Well I've been looking into getting an 09 crf450r and selling my 06 450r. I was wondering if anybody on here has an 09 and if so if they have had any problems, what are pro's/con's on the new 09. I also wondering if anybody on here race's a 450r out in the desert and if so how they hold up (D37, USDR, SCORE, etc).
I try to mix up the style/terrain I ride in, it usually consist of about 40% MX, another 30% hare scramble type of trails, and the other 30% baja/desert.

All comments welcome

Moose McWadd

Reaction
The r does ok in baja imo, get a bigger tank you can change out, and the new battery powered lights are nice. They work good for several hours not something to race with. But you dont have to add a light and stator, The 450r's do get worn out faster in Baja. Use a different sproket for some top end and you are good.

Chase 2

Reaction
When did the R go to a wide ratio gearbox? That alone is reason to use an X in the dez/off-road

Baja D "Diego"

Reaction
The r does ok in baja imo, get a bigger tank you can change out, and the new battery powered lights are nice. They work good for several hours not something to race with. But you dont have to add a light and stator, The 450r's do get worn out faster in Baja. Use a different sproket for some top end and you are good.
We did some testing with the 09CRF450R EFI it can handle pushing a single 8" HID light, but the stock stator must get rewound. :D

Dezertpilot

Reaction
The new 09 is such a pile of crap!!! You would be WASTING $ buying the first year 09. Sooooo many issues from crappy suspension to fuel injector filling up crank case with gas to ignition cover (I think this what it is) cracking and Honda engineers having no clue what it is. My opinion you want a new FI bike get the KX450F, many pros ride this bike in all sorts of racing including Destry Abbott. If you are dead set on the Honda wait till the '10's or '11's come out and the bike is refined. I myself have a first year model KTM 530 and have been lucky to have not experienced any of the first year teething problems that many people have had. Next time I will buy a model bike that has been in production for a few years.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
When did the R go to a wide ratio gearbox? That alone is reason to use an X in the dez/off-road
They haven't. Re-read his post again, the R model will do fine for what he uses it for.

Chase 2

Reaction
They haven't. Re-read his post again, the R model will do fine for what he uses it for.
Or perhaps you did not read that he was only using it for MX less than 1/2 the time? So is there something wrong with a wide ratio for 60% Hare Scrambles and Baja? Do you see some sort of advantage in using an R for this?

Pros are (and always have) ridden Green because of the support from factory backing. If you ain't a factory backed Pro, a Kawi would be prolly one of the worst choices for 30% Baja.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
I try to mix up the style/terrain I ride in, it usually consist of about 40% MX, another 30% hare scramble type of trails, and the other 30% baja/desert.
That equals 70% Craig alot more than 50%, almost 25% more.

Or perhaps you did not read that he was only using it for MX less than 1/2 the time? So is there something wrong with a wide ratio for 60% Hare Scrambles and Baja? Do you see some sort of advantage in using an R for this?

Pros are (and always have) ridden Green because of the support from factory backing. If you ain't a factory backed Pro, a Kawi would be prolly one of the worst choices for 30% Baja.
He would be much happier with the R for 70% of his riding than getting a wide ratio box for only 30% of his type of riding. I said if he is dead set on a new FI bike than besides Suzuki his only other choice is Green. All the problems that I listed are enough to make anybody look away from Honda. I ride KTM but if I saw all those problems on one model either I would buy another KTM model (Which is great because KTM has soooo many different models to choose from) or I would look at another manufacturer. I would not deal with the probs just because I was pro a certain brand. I would buy the better bike that would keep me out in the dirt instead of in the dealers shop.

Chase 2

Reaction
Now if he was from Washington or Georgia then I would allow your statistical interpretation of less Dez. But, it just looks to me that Hare Scrambles and Chula Vista equals he's talking a desert type Hare Scrambles. Especially because he asked about USDR & D-37 (both of which I race). I honestly think that I see more X's at D-37 and USDR than R's Whatever, we both agree that he doesn't want a new R...... LOL!!

Gio188

Reaction
Now if he was from Washington or Georgia then I would allow your statistical interpretation of less Dez. But, it just looks to me that Hare Scrambles and Chula Vista equals he's talking a desert type Hare Scrambles. Especially because he asked about USDR & D-37 (both of which I race). I honestly think that I see more X's at D-37 and USDR than R's Whatever, we both agree that he doesn't want a new R...... LOL!!
My dad has an CRF450X with an IMS desert tank and I just feel the bike is really sluggish , and it has a heavier feel to it than an R. (he has it geared for desert, 14-47 i think). It certaintly dosent have that "snap" of an R. I never liked racing the X, I would always rather race mine out in the dez, I would just throw the IMS tank on it and change some sprockets and I'd be set.
Now by hare scrambles I mean Los ancianos type riding, a lot of technical trails, I really love Santa Veronica the trails there are pretty much ENDLESS ... lots of fun :D (no summer riding for me there though as the heat is too much for me to handle)

Gio188

Reaction
The new 09 is such a pile of crap!!! You would be WASTING $ buying the first year 09. Sooooo many issues from crappy suspension to fuel injector filling up crank case with gas to ignition cover (I think this what it is) cracking and Honda engineers having no clue what it is. My opinion you want a new FI bike get the KX450F, many pros ride this bike in all sorts of racing including Destry Abbott. If you are dead set on the Honda wait till the '10's or '11's come out and the bike is refined. I myself have a first year model KTM 530 and have been lucky to have not experienced any of the first year teething problems that many people have had. Next time I will buy a model bike that has been in production for a few years.
I heard the new Kawi's are BADASS :cool: ... It is a really versatile bike as well, just look at what Ricky Dietrich has done with the same bike :D
One of the reasons am looking into the Honda is the deal am being offered, its really cheap.
O and the by the way I actually got the ride a KTM 530 XC-W I think it was and the thing is just awesome, nice bike :cool:

Gio188

Reaction

I like the R in trails/hare scrambles just because it's more aggressive, its snappier, and it's way lighter.

Good Knight Racing

Reaction
Check out the diffrence in price this make a diffrence for you I work at otd cyclesports.

2007 $4799.00 otd
2008 $5299.00 otd
2009 $6999.00 otd

I would not buy a 2009 I would wait for a 2010 if you have any questions let me know Kevin

57Racer

Reaction
I have a 530 xc-w and it really is an awesome desert attack vehicle.

Seems like you have run into the age old conundrum of "a man needs more than 1 bike" (hence me having 4...sigh).
My opinion, if you MUST buy now and cant wait for 2010, even if it is a good deal, forget the honda...Go Kawasaki. You will pay more for the honda later in trying to fix the damn thing and getting the suspension right. The KLX450R has been proven to be a great "track and trail" bike. It has good but not crazy hit, the stock suspension isn't too plush, and it is a pretty nimble frame still.

Moose McWadd

Reaction
Back to the original question; the r is so much faster than the x for Honda. Unless you invest an extra $1200 the x is just to much slower for any kind of mx or hare scramble for that matter.

The r is just the bike i ride the most often, i bought a x and had to spend a bundle to get the power of the r.

If I had one more bike it might be the Honda 650 pig for Baja, they run forever.

but ya the r will do Baja, just wears it out faster imo, And the x is to slow and heavy for mx. imo

Chase 2

Reaction
After a couple of posts it seemed to me that he had already made up his mind on the R and wasn't likely to be convinced otherwise, he was more wanting info on the new vs. the old.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Back to the original question; the r is so much faster than the x for Honda. Unless you invest an extra $1200 the x is just to much slower for any kind of mx or hare scramble for that matter.

The r is just the bike i ride the most often, i bought a x and had to spend a bundle to get the power of the r.
How much is it to do what Honda does to their X bikes to get it up to R specs? New head, piston, etc. Thats the hot ticket!

dirtdudeaz

Reaction

If I had one more bike it might be the Honda 650 pig for Baja, they run forever.

but ya the r will do Baja, just wears it out faster imo, And the x is to slow and heavy for mx. imo
I disagree 100%, if your bike won't beat a 450r or keep up, then something might be wrong with your bike (after your money spent). Yes the X requires a little money out of the box and stock for stock the R will be faster. But the X needs to be "uncorcked" to make it more rideable. I have drag raced plenty of friends with their R's and we were right next to eachother the whole time (and a couple of them have aftermarket cams in their bikes).

The truth is, it doesn't weigh that much more. The R is for quick shortline bursts of energy, say on a motocross track. I have taken my X to the track and do just as well as the guys out their. Put it up against a pro, and ya it won't be close, but an avg joe like me and the guys I see out there won't be too much different.

I have raced plenty of scrambles and races to find out my X is faster than most the bikes and it holds it's own.