091 install angle

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
Is there a prefered angle to mount an 091? It's going into a VW Thing With Subaru motor. I bought the bellhousing and midmount plates from Kartek. So the bellhousing mount will be picked up by the holes in the plate and to the stock horns, but I should have a little flexability in where the midmount is located.

If there is anything I should change I want to do it now. I've heard people say lower the transmission. Some say mount it so it's centered and I don't need 2 different size axles. Some say use the bellhousing mount and the midmount only (no nosecone mount).

What's the best way to do it? Tips?

I'm running 5(wide)x3(back) arms, 14" 2.5 bypass and 14" 2.0 Coilover, 930cv's

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
A 10 degree mount will really help get your oil pan on the Subi out of the dirt. It will also put your shifter in the same spot agian.

Perfect Race

Reaction
Yes 10 degrees is good. Mount the trans as low in the car as possible. You should have a 1/4" or less between the skid plate and the trans. Just leave room for the c/v to clear the frame horns. Some store bought mounts raise the trans too high. This will give you the most droop and best c/v angle. Center the trans to the stub axle c/v flange. Make sure the rear tow in is set when measuring off the flanges. If you have the good thru the case mid and rear between the case and bellhousing mount plates, you don't need the front nose mount.

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
I'm not going to use the 10 deg kit. I want the shifter on top of the tunnel and I'm not sure how the Subie would fit in the engine compartment with that angle.

I haven't mocked up the transmission in the car with the Kartek mount plate yet. Maybe I'll lower the transmission as much as possible and then put a slight tilt on it to help get the oil pan up.

powder1

Reaction
Definetlly ten degrees with mine all I did was tweak the mounting ears on my transmission mount ( the one by the motor) to get the ten degrees If you dont do it you will regret it (been there done that one!!)

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
Definetlly ten degrees with mine all I did was tweak the mounting ears on my transmission mount ( the one by the motor) to get the ten degrees If you dont do it you will regret it (been there done that one!!)

How do you run an aftermarket shifter if the 10 deg kit puts the shifter rod back in the tunnel?

PT9Baja

Reaction
I put a Transwerks 091 in my bug last fall and I started out thinking it would be best to keep the shifter on top of the tunnel but I changed my mind when I realized that a lower trans lowers your rear suspension gives better ground clearance ,cv angle ,weight placement etc. Its not to hard to get shift tube in the tunnel but you have to consider how doing one thing effects all the other stuff. I used a mid mount plate installed at Transwerks and a Gene Berg rear mount which I cut bent and rewelded for the 9 to 10 degree angle. It bolts to the horn bolts. The mid mounts I fabed from .250 plate and are welded to the horns. no front mount needed. I had to grind the flange on the inside of the horns off in several places to clear the trans and welded the seam on the horns and braced them to the rear cage with 2 tubes.
I am down where the inner 930 cvs just clear the horns and the shift tube is in the tunnel.
Things that come up are , shift tube length , trans oil fill plug can get blocked by the horn , Drain plug can get blocked by the rear mount , shock mounts or shock length may have to change , skid plates and there mounts change and I have no idea what the subie does to the over all picture. With the 10 degree angle, my type 1 engine ended up a little higher then before and with the low trans , the suspension is lower and the cvs are much happier.
One other thing is I have ground off the stops for the spring plates and limit with straps. Take your time , mock up and check often for what your doing effects other things ,and go low .

PT9Baja

Reaction
I really think that one of the best shifters is a good stock VW . If everything is adjusted right and you have a good bushing and mount and some white grease a vw trans don"t need no fancy shifter.

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
My summer project is to install a ten degree kit (guess I should of listened to all the advice when I built the car). So the 10 degree kit urethane mounts the transmission. I know most people like to solid mount their motor/transmission. Has anyone had issues with the Kartek 10 degree mount and urethane bushings? What about the transmission being urethane mounted and my motor mounts are solid?? I have not picked up the kit yet so I don't know what all the parts look like but maybe I could make new bushings out of Delron?