091 Mid mount plate

punchdrunk monkey

Does anyone have any pictures of how they attached to a 091 mid mount plate? I'm installing the transmission into a VW Thing and wanted to see some ideas on how they've been mounted. I have the Weddle mid-mount section in my transmission but I had to have the mounting ears machined off. They would not fit in between the stock horns. So I ended up with a bolt on mid mount plate from Kartek. I will be mounting the transmission from the bottom front, top front and mid-mount.

I did lower the transmission about 1.5" so now the back of the transmission will have to go up before it can slide out.

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
I held mine from the back middle and front...here is a picture before I finished, just make sure any tabs dont interfere with your easy removal procedure. All plates need to be facing the frontal face of the transmission so you can always pull the transmission out easy

Attachments

07FJRog

I held mine from the back middle and front...here is a picture before I finished, just make sure any tabs dont interfere with your easy removal procedure. All plates need to be facing the frontal face of the transmission so you can always pull the transmission out easy
what bell housing is that? I am not familiar with that one?? Thanks,

Rog

Fourstroker

Does anyone have any pictures of how they attached to a 091 mid mount plate? I'm installing the transmission into a VW Thing and wanted to see some ideas on how they've been mounted. I have the Weddle mid-mount section in my transmission but I had to have the mounting ears machined off. They would not fit in between the stock horns. So I ended up with a bolt on mid mount plate from Kartek. I will be mounting the transmission from the bottom front, top front and mid-mount.

I did lower the transmission about 1.5" so now the back of the transmission will have to go up before it can slide out.
They do make a mid plate for your application with the ears off the top to work with stock horns. Kartek has them it part SUS-06121

This one

Attachments

Last edited:

FullsizeFun

Yeah, what Fourstroker said... Kartek sold you the "Buggy" plate when you need the "Bug" plate for stock horns. The salesman didnt ask you any questions about your application??

Fourstroker

Yeah, what Fourstroker said... Kartek sold you the "Buggy" plate when you need the "Bug" plate for stock horns. The salesman didnt ask you any questions about your application??
Sounds like his transmission guy is the one who did him wrong. He mentioned he had the "installed type" that he had to cut the ears off

cogbox

what bell housing is that? I am not familiar with that one?? Thanks,

Rog
that is a diesel bell housing. you can still get them new that's what the last of the vanagons had that were in south Africa. if i remember a vw gti motor also bolts up to that bell housing.

punchdrunk monkey

That's the plate I have. When I had the transmission built, the builder installed the aftermarket intermeadiate housing that has the mounting ears on it. I told him this was going into a Thing with the stock horns. So he milled the ears off before he built the transmission. Now I'm using the Kartek one that is shown above.

I just wanted to see how others have attached to the plate.

07FJRog

that is a diesel bell housing. you can still get them new that's what the last of the vanagons had that were in south Africa. if i remember a vw gti motor also bolts up to that bell housing.
Now I understand why there is an offset ( tilt) to it.

Thanks for the info

Rog

Fourstroker

That's the plate I have. When I had the transmission built, the builder installed the aftermarket intermeadiate housing that has the mounting ears on it. I told him this was going into a Thing with the stock horns. So he milled the ears off before he built the transmission. Now I'm using the Kartek one that is shown above.

I just wanted to see how others have attached to the plate.
I have never seen an aftermarket intermediate housing with ears on it. Most builders who install a mid plate machine a 1/4" out of the intermediate housing and then sandwich the plate between the main case and the intermediate housing. This makes it a permanent part of the transmission.

They make (2) different plates. One is like the photo I posted with the ears on top for cars with the original horns. The other has the ears on the bottom for tube chassis cars. If you really did have a custom housing I have never seen one. Otherwise the ears were cutoff because it was the wrong plate. Here is the other one.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/m...arch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

Notice the difference in shape

punchdrunk monkey

Here is the one I have (without ears) installed.

Fourstroker

Gotcha now. I have never seen one of those before. Now if they only made that same thing with the ears on top you would be set

This is what most usually see

Attachments

07FJRog

Here is the one I have (without ears) installed.

Without ears??? that is the same midsection I used on my last buggy from Transworks, never knew who actually made it though. I thought Eric did.

Fourstroker

Without ears??? that is the same midsection I used on my last buggy from Transworks, never knew who actually made it though. I thought Eric did.
He said the transmission guy machined the ears off to make it fit for his application with the stock horns

PT9Baja

The pics are of buggy mounts. The bug /thing mid mount has the ears on top and a simple set of braced tabs on top of the horns is all thats needed. you do not need a front mount but you do need a rear mount. You do need to grind off parts of the flange that joins the top and bottom parts of the horn together on the inside of the horns to gain clearance for the bigger bus trans and then you reweld the seem where you ground it off. Its not a bad idea to weld all of the horn seam. I lowered my Transwerks 091 so low I cut in a tube in the left horn to access the trans fill but my horns are tubed to the cage for strength. My rear mount is a Berg drag mount that bolts on to the horn bolts but I cut it and bent it to the 8-10 degree angle and welided the cut. You don't cut all the way through and the rear mount puts the trans in the right position side to side and really close fore and aft. The reason to go low is to get more suspension better gravity center and with the tilt and the way the bell housing is on the bus box the motor ends up a little higher. I have the old 091 bell housing that a type 1 starter works on. I am not sure but I think the trans case had to be machined to allow the midmount to get sandwiched in. I bought my 091 from Transwerks and the guy there was really helpful. I think his name Was Joe. I will get some pics and figure out how to post em. Also I will look up the Berg rear mount. The 5/1600 guys are the real experts on this maybe you could get in touch with some of them.

Wilson

Here's how we mounted it in our 5/1600:

You can see we mount it at the front end, and just behind the drive flanges (we also engage the "hanger" mounts on the bell housing). We didn't find anything that was a "drop in" fit, so we custom made ours...... The trans is mounted "square", no angles to mess up the shift geometry.

Avoid using the lower engine studs to mount the trans - you'll eventually break them if you drive hard enough, and you'll probably also crack the bell housing.

PT9Baja

Wilsons pic is real close to what mine is like tube brace, horn notches for flanges and angle of trans.my modified Gene Berg rear mount for the rear is really strong. I will get some pis but I am finding posting them confusing, Any tutorial on how to post pics?? Wilson has a top rear mount to the cage my rear mount is a modifed Gene Berg rear mount that bolts to the horn bolts which locates the trans It has to be cut and rewelded to the right angle and notched for the drain plug but is strong and the skid plate can mount to it. Any more 5/1600 versions??

PT9Baja

079.jpg

punchdrunk monkey

Thanks for the pictures (rep points sent)!! I wasn't sure if mounting it to the horns would be strong enough. I was going to try and come off the cage. Looks like I will do the horns. That should make things alot easier.

I didn't even think about the oil fill plug. I'll have to check on that too.

Wilson

Thanks for the pictures (rep points sent)!! I wasn't sure if mounting it to the horns would be strong enough. I was going to try and come off the cage. Looks like I will do the horns. That should make things alot easier.

I didn't even think about the oil fill plug. I'll have to check on that too.
It may not be necessary to notch the horns for the fill plug - our trans is mounted as low as is allowed by SCORE (only allowed to notch the horns down to the seam) and we can still get at the fill plug with a modified tool. We basically just made our own "ball end" on one of the cheap fill plug sockets. We felt it was better to modify a tool than to cut another chunk out of the horns.....

Thanks for the rep!