1 1/4" bung thread chasing ideas?

kdm73091

Reaction
Anyone have any good ways or ideas on chasing threads in an inch and a quarter bung? My heim wont screw in cause of the threads inside are messed up and i need to figure out a way to fix it.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Buy a tap and use the tap to chase the threads. . .quality taps (not the hardware store junk. . .not that you would get an 1 1/4" tap from the hardware store anymore anyway) are a good thing to have on hand!

Worst case scenario you can take an old heim (a bolt would be better, but I'm betting you don't have one that size lying around) and grind some flutes into the threaded portion of the body with a dremel tool to make room for chips/debris and use the make-shift tap to clean up the threads.

Those are the two easiest ways without a lathe. . .

kdm73091

Reaction
Those were exactly my thoughts haha. I just wanted to see if anyone knows of any other tricks. I was going to buy a tap but there 100$ a piece and i need a left and right. So kinda pricey for taps lol

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Yeah, good taps are expensive. . .

. . .try grinding flutes in a bolt, much cheaper and you might get lucky. If you buy bolts that are made of heat treatable steel then you could make your own hardened tap.

PDANK Racing

Reaction
Website
www.pdankoffroad.com
Check mcmaster.com, they will have them. Also sell jam nuts for a reasonable price, if you need extra.

jsallenbach

Reaction
Try Smith fastner out of Bell, Ca. They have a hugh variety of nuts, bolts and all kinds of stuff. Thats where we get most of our stuff for our machines. Both of the above mentioned ideas are the easiest way of doing that.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
If you (or a friend, or someone on here close to you) has a junked rod end, you could just use that, the rod end should be able to be heat treated as a bonus so you could have a hardened tap.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Do not use an impact to drive a tap through a bung. I had to remove a broken tap from a trailing arm becuase someone though it was a good idea. Not fun or easy............

Use good taping fluid like moly-d and a good tap wrench. A cresent wrench can be used it your crefull not to pull on just the handle, keep one hand on the tap when under load to keep it from cutting off center.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Good deal. . .yeah, I don't know who would think an impact wrench is a good idea with a tap! Trying to remove a broken tap is not fun, even in a fully equipped machine shop.

Wild bill

Reaction
Go to e bay and type 1 1/4 tap. Your problem will be solved. A good used tap will cost you $14. Or bid on one.

Hoffman

Reaction
Take'm to the machine shop and have them cut the threads. I had to have 16 1 1/4 bungs recut after tig welding the bungs. I had left and right handed threads so the taps were more the than the machining.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
The machine shop probably ran a tap through them which is why it would be so cheap. . .picking up pre-existing internal threads with a single point tool is not a fun or fast undertaking! Once you pick them up chasing the threads with a single-point is quick, but you can absolutely ruin a part if you don't pick the threads up perfect. . .