1/1600 R & P

westtexasbaja

Reaction
Planning to make some changes to my bus trans. I don't know what gears I have. I do know with 31" tires 1,2,3 are on the edge of too tall. And 4th is worthless. I'm planning to use 33" tires. What R&P to use with 33's? And what 4th gear to use?

Thanks,
G.

David_Girdner

Reaction
Website
www.3GRacing.com
Planning to make some changes to my bus trans. I don't know what gears I have. I do know with 31" tires 1,2,3 are on the edge of too tall. And 4th is worthless. I'm planning to use 33" tires. What R&P to use with 33's? And what 4th gear to use?

Thanks,
G.

Do you have a 002 or 091 box? Stock R&P in a 002 is a 4.86 and 091 is 4.56. Where are you going to be racing? We primarily race MORE and SNORE and have a 091 (4.56 R&P) and a 1.50 4th gear running 33s. My buddy that races Baja uses a 4.56 with a 1.44 4th gear with 33s.

Reaction
I think that it depends on the year of the trans axle along with the model being either a 002 or 091. I have a stock 002 and it has a 5.38 R&P. I can turn my 31 x 11.5 MT Baja belted just fine with a 1776. If your going to have someone go through the box, then talk to them and tell them what size of tire your running, how much HP, your driving style, and let them suggest the proper R&P and gear stack ratios.

I dont know alot about gear ratios ect, but from my understanding if you lower the R&P Ratio, you effectivly drop the overall ratio of your gear stack. But this also can weaken your drive train. The 3.88:1 is supposidly the stronges R&P available for the VW trans. But this is a High ratio R&P, so you would also need to change your gear stack to drop your ratios so you can spin the taller tire and still have power. You can Lower the R&P ratio and have a taller gear stack but the overall package would be weaker. A few years back Hot VW's did a article where they polled some of the top transmission builders and asked what they would do for several different situations. Maybe they have back copies to purchase.

westtexasbaja

Reaction
Do you have a 002 or 091 box? Stock R&P in a 002 is a 4.86 and 091 is 4.56. Where are you going to be racing? We primarily race MORE and SNORE and have a 091 (4.56 R&P) and a 1.50 4th gear running 33s. My buddy that races Baja uses a 4.56 with a 1.44 4th gear with 33s.

Well...the case is a 3-rib 002. No idea if internals are stock or not. I read somewhere that most IRS up to '73 had a 5.38 or 5.42 ring. This may be what I have...:(. We'll be racing some SNORE and New Mex races.

Also within 4-5 minutes after shifting into 4th it jumps out of gear. All other gears are solid and shift well so I don't THINK its matter of adjusting the linkage. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the numbers,
G.

David_Girdner

Reaction
Website
www.3GRacing.com
Here's some good info on the differences between the various types and years of bus boxes - should have pulled up this site before posting...

http://www.type2.com/library/drivetra/091data.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Dunes/9702/transtalk.html

I'm fairly sure that the 5.38 is the weakest of the bunch. When we first started racing we used one and I beleive we ran a 1.22 or 1.25 4th gear.

No idea on the shifting issue - I've never had a problem of the trans jumping out of gear after certain period of time.

Give the guys at Transaxle Engineering a call 818-998-2739 - they've been great to us over the years and will point you in the right direction.