1/2 1600 Suspension Setup

ThisSideUp

Reaction
On a 2-1600 car is it better to run By pass shocks in the front? I have seen about a 50/50 split in the class on who runs by pass and those that dont. Would really like to hear from someone that actually races a 2-1600 as I am building/rebuilding one and want to set it up the best way possible.

Thanks,

Lang:cool:

hammer down racing

Reaction
The 1600 cars that we have run both had bypass shocks in front. I like the adjustability and the fine tuning that bypass shocks allow. Shock Valving can get you close but the bypasses make it perfect. I have noticed a lot of 1600 cars going to pressure sensitive shocks up front. I wonder why people are going this route. Is it a weight thing?

David_Girdner

Reaction
Website
www.3GRacing.com
There are a lot of folks running Fox shocks with bypass sleeves - just because you don't see a tube on the outside doesn't mean it isn't a bypass shock. MacCachren and Burgess use this type of setup. These are not externally adjustable - basically there are small holes drilled in the can and there is a sleeve welded over the can to make a bypass chamber. I know Lothringer used to do this on the 16 cars they built.

We run the King 2" dual-bypass on the front of our car 16 but I've also driven a car that has sleeved Foxes. Same performance but it's a bit more work to tune them.