• Forum membership has its advantages....

1/2 1600 thread ONLY

Robin Hood

I recently purchased a single seat 1600 car and need some help and advice. I understand this class is very competitive and that there are some great drivers among the ranks. I would like to see this thread continue over time, similar to the class 12 thread started by Benny. If you are racing 1600 you probably love off road, have a limited budget and really like the competition that this class brings forth. Let's help each other out and keep this thread going with anything related to class 1600, including where teams are going to race.

For starters...what are the differences in the rule book if any between the top 5 promoters? I read the Score rule book then skimmed the Snore rule book and they are similar but it appears Snore has tried to clarify some items over time. Why is the weight limit the same for a 1 vs 2 seat but a 2 seat is allowed more power?

The car I bought was built in 2010 and reassembled with some different parts in 2012. It has a Messack chassis, Wiks motor, Folts trans, disc brakes, micro stubs, bypass shocks, etc. Will a setup from 2010-2012 be competitive or has there been substantial changes to parts and philosophies since then? What has changed in the last 7 to 9 years?

I am in the process of going thru the car and would like to wrap my arms around the total scope of the project and what I should do to make the car competitive for the class. Any help and advice is very much appreciated.

offroadracer516

Better off on fb. Way more people dedicated to the class in an actual group. 2600 members at the moment. It was actually started because people were sick of RDC and other people that don't race the class getting involved. Ask anything you want and someone will help you. But ill answer a few things. Snore/Score/More/Bitd the rule books are all the same now. Two seat gets more power because of the single seat having no co rider. They are still very equal. Most people race SNORE and MORE. Rage at the river should have around 50 cars again. A setup from 2010-2012 is still the same stuff we are running now. 3.0's on the back make a small difference but you don't need them to win. My car's running the same setup from 2009. Podium at the last rage and bap. Top qualifying spot at both. My cars a 1982 Race-co! Age is just a number in this classs. Literally nothing has changed. Except the low comp motor being legal. High comp is still winning though. Romo has raced with both and he will have a high comp at rage. To win a big race in this class you need a quality motor. Fat,Major,Wiks,Jimenez ect. The correct jetting. The right gearing. The car being close to the weight limit. Have it working GOOD. And be a bad ass driver. Because the guys running top 5 have the whole package to do it. Good luck and I hope to see you in the group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/171155406425327/?ref=br_tf

Attachments

Last edited:

BajaboundMoto

What he ^ said, FB page "1/2 1600 racers"
You'll have to watch @offroadracer516 post his GoPro's every few days.... Just kiddin', I know you can back up the talk! ;-)
We're new to the 1600 thing too, actually new to the entire buggy thing coming from 2 wheels. There's great help and a lot of encouragement on that FB page (and some entertainemnt).
Exactly a year ago we bought our 1st 1-1600 buggy. Jens raced it 3 times now I think (including Mexican 1000). Hopefully we'll be ready for our 2nd try at Rage in Dec.!

Robin Hood

Better off on fb.

To win a big race in this class you need a quality motor. Fat,Major,Wiks,Jimenez ect. The correct jetting. The right gearing. The car being close to the weight limit. Have it working GOOD. And be a bad ass driver. Because the guys running top 5 have the whole package to do it. Good luck and I hope to see you in the group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/171155406425327/?ref=br_tf
Well that bites because I don't do FB.

Thanks for the replies. Regarding motors do you feel a Wik's package from that ere would be compete with today's new builds by the top guys. I have been told that cams and gearing has changed since then? I have even been told that a Fat motor from that ere had 10 mph on the Wiks motor back then. Any truth to this?

offroadracer516

Well that bites because I don't do FB.

Thanks for the replies. Regarding motors do you feel a Wik's package from that ere would be compete with today's new builds by the top guys. I have been told that cams and gearing has changed since then? I have even been told that a Fat motor from that ere had 10 mph on the Wiks motor back then. Any truth to this?
Wiks has definitely stepped up their game in the last few years. Wiks won rage last year. I know FAT has changed cam. They do all the time honestly. Best to call Wiks them self and ask what he thinks.

MikeLeung

You got the 1600 after the 500 Joe? LOL..Nice!

Seriously go talk to Brent. He's going to be your best guide for 1600....at least locally.

snoreracer

I recently purchased a single seat 1600 car and need some help and advice. I understand this class is very competitive and that there are some great drivers among the ranks. I would like to see this thread continue over time, similar to the class 12 thread started by Benny. If you are racing 1600 you probably love off road, have a limited budget and really like the competition that this class brings forth. Let's help each other out and keep this thread going with anything related to class 1600, including where teams are going to race.

For starters...what are the differences in the rule book if any between the top 5 promoters? I read the Score rule book then skimmed the Snore rule book and they are similar but it appears Snore has tried to clarify some items over time. Why is the weight limit the same for a 1 vs 2 seat but a 2 seat is allowed more power?

The car I bought was built in 2010 and reassembled with some different parts in 2012. It has a Messack chassis, Wiks motor, Folts trans, disc brakes, micro stubs, bypass shocks, etc. Will a setup from 2010-2012 be competitive or has there been substantial changes to parts and philosophies since then? What has changed in the last 7 to 9 years?

I am in the process of going thru the car and would like to wrap my arms around the total scope of the project and what I should do to make the car competitive for the class. Any help and advice is very much appreciated.
You have all the right parts now you need seat time

Andy4

Run the highest oxygenated race fuel you can get your hands on.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

offroadracer516

Run the highest oxygenated race fuel you can get your hands on.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert
Yea if you want a DQ and to be labeled a cheater. Glad I have good friends at FAT that spoiled the party by doing actual testing. Class is so much better since we changed rules. Closer competition.... Glad they checked fuel at Bap. Glad they will do it again at Rage. Kinda in shock you are still beating that dead horse after the class voted it in. That highly oxygenated crap should be in the cheating thread.

Last edited:

Andy4

Yea if you want a DQ and to be labeled a cheater. Glad I have good friends at FAT that spoiled the party by doing actual testing. Class is so much better since we changed rules. Closer competition.... Glad they checked fuel at Bap. Glad they will do it again at Rage. Kinda in shock you are still beating that dead horse after the class voted it in. That highly oxygenated crap should be in the cheating thread.
damn must’ve struck a nerve. Have a great Robby

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Bro_Gill

Look up the word 'Dense'. Oh, and there was no debate, there was Andy being funny and you having no clue about it.

offroadracer516

Look up the word 'Dense'. Oh, and there was no debate, there was Andy being funny and you having no clue about it.
People like you are exactly why we have a group on fb lol. And almost no talk on here related to the class. What have you put into this topic? Literally nothing. You have no clue what Andy and I discussed when the rule change went down. He does but ill leave it at that.

Bro_Gill

And he was being funny about it. I know exactly what was discussed. But to keep you from booting me off the facebook page, I will simply say, ok, you aren't as dense as it appears and you don't need to learn any more English. How's that?

offroadracer516

And he was being funny about it. I know exactly what was discussed. But to keep you from booting me off the facebook page, I will simply say, ok, you aren't as dense as it appears and you don't need to learn any more English. How's that?
Enjoy your time on Rdc spouting off as usual. I will be chatting with the class on fb and actually racing it ;)

Robin Hood

Well...after 11 new post today I learned one new thing....I need seat time! To bad buying the car is the cheapest part.

Robin Hood

You got the 1600 after the 500 Joe? LOL..Nice!

Seriously go talk to Brent. He's going to be your best guide for 1600....at least locally.
Yea...LOL, what am I thinking? I just got it two weeks ago. I wasn't joking when I said, I had a great time at the 500.

Hey robin you got yourself a great competitive car i was able to drive this car before my brother in law jimmy messick sold it. Wish i would have bought it and sold my 2 seater its one of the best handling cars i have ever driven im assuming its the black single seat that has been floating around forsale. Adam builds a great motor im sure there have been some updates to his program since it was built you may want to talk to him come rebuild time. Your motor came from cory goin out of his 2 seat when he swiched to fat. Get yourself some seat time and have a blast. If your looking for some fun testing check out the desert 1600 class in the Lucas oil offroad regionals series its $175 to race and really helps with learning how to through these cars around. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited: