1 armed bandit looking for bike set-up tips

slim01

Reaction
Hey guys, Im looking for any info or other peoples experience in regards to riding/racing with 1 arm. I had an accident racing a few months ago and among the injuries has resulted in nerve damage in my left shoulder making the arm unable to function anymore.

Im looking for any bike mods, hints and tips which can help me continue to do what we all love. I was think a recluse clutch or move the clutch lever to the right hand side either above/below the front brake lever or remove the front brake lever all together. There are benefits and negatives with each and Im hoping maybe someone here may be able to shed some light.

I have a consult with a surgeon in a few weeks to see if repairing the nerves is possible or not so there may be some hope but I have been warned to prepare for the worst.

Thanks

MXShea

MX know-it-all
Reaction
Slim, glad to hear you aren't going to let a "disability" prevent you from having fun on your dirtbike.
I've seen several one armed riders at tracks on practice and race days. It is impressive and inspiring!
I would say the recluse would be your best first mod.
Check out mtb-amputee.com for some motorcycle control set up ideas.
Also, research and check out videos of riders like Craig Parks and Devin Rochon...there is a young girl also but can't think of her name.
I'm sure you will find ideas and inspiration in your research.
Good luck and I think it would be cool if you post updates.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

BajaboundMoto

Reaction
Come'on SlimLeon, we know your stubbornness will pull you through this!
You also know we recently took Lefty (right arm amputated only 8 years ago) from Tecate to Cabo, including plenty of gnarly single track and mega rocks.
You can do it!

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
I saw a guy about 15 years ago riding MX at Lake Elsinore. He had both arms crushed in a CNC press. His right arm was gone from the elbow and had a claw for a hand. He modified the throttle so the claw would hold onto it. He still had his left arm, but only the thumb and pinky knuckle were left of his hand. He had his bike set up so both levers were on the left side of the bars, stacked on on top of the other.

He was faster than half the guys on the track that day and doing wheelies in the pits. One of the most impressive riders I've ever seen

slim01

Reaction
Slim, glad to hear you aren't going to let a "disability" prevent you from having fun on your dirtbike.
I've seen several one armed riders at tracks on practice and race days. It is impressive and inspiring!
I would say the recluse would be your best first mod.
Also, research and check out videos of riders like Craig Parks and Devin Rochon...there is a young girl also but can't think of her name.
I'm sure you will find ideas and inspiration in your research.
Good luck and I think it would be cool if you post updates.

Thanks mate, will check them out. Im thinking the recluse is the way to go. My current bike is a 09 WRF 450, its a heavy beast but I think Ive spent too much $$ on it to swap over to something else. I was thinking a 250 might be the go due to less weight, easier to muscle around etc. Ive got an 05 KXF 250 with a big bore kit which is a fun bike but does require money spent on it to get it finished off. Ive got the WRF road registered over here and supermoto wheels for the road, the KXF would be purely offroad. The price of a full recluse kit is $2000 over here so I cant really afford to set up 2 bikes, just yet.

Ive seen a couple of people who are 'challenged' but still do awesome things. I guess I'll wait until atleast the first surgery before spending too much.

Come'on SlimLeon, we know your stubbornness will pull you through this!
You also know we recently took Lefty (right arm amputated only 8 years ago) from Tecate to Cabo, including plenty of gnarly single track and mega rocks.
You can do it!
Thanks Tim, still aiming to come over and get a ride or 2 in next year with you guys. May need you to set up a bike if you can but will let you know before hand. Still toying with the idea of next years B1K but it is something I would like to discuss with you later. Need to get fitness back and time on a bike but I guess it is a goal to aim for and see what happens.

I saw a guy about 15 years ago riding MX at Lake Elsinore. He had both arms crushed in a CNC press. His right arm was gone from the elbow and had a claw for a hand. He modified the throttle so the claw would hold onto it. He still had his left arm, but only the thumb and pinky knuckle were left of his hand. He had his bike set up so both levers were on the left side of the bars, stacked on on top of the other.

He was faster than half the guys on the track that day and doing wheelies in the pits. One of the most impressive riders I've ever seen
Its surprising what people can do when they put their mind to it. Some people just dont take no for an answer, certainly inspirational for the rest of us.

dezert_nerd

Reaction
One guy you could ask is Giovanni Perez. He Ironmanned V2R this year and made it all the way to Reno. His instagram account is @oggio31. Only time I've talked to him was during the race, he started in front of me at V2R this year.

dezert_nerd

Reaction
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1477662356.300339.jpg

This is him with his team.

slim01

Reaction
One guy you could ask is Giovanni Perez. He Ironmanned V2R this year and made it all the way to Reno. His instagram account is @oggio31. Only time I've talked to him was during the race, he started in front of me at V2R this year.
Thanks mate, will check him out.

Had a look at this site, awesome to see so many people getting on with living. Its been almost 4 months since the accident for me and at times its easy to get down on yourself accepting new physical limitations but checking out sites like that does show its not the end of riding.

The rest of my body is still recovering but Im hoping to get back on a bike in some form in a couple of weeks. Normally I work offshore in the oil and gas industry but that has stopped. Luckily the company I work for has looked after me and has given me work in the office to give me an income. I still have to work away from home but Im grateful to still have a job. I fly back home mid next week and will have a look at relocating the clutch to the RHS to see how that goes. I reckon it will only be a short term answer but it will be a start and see how I feel about being back on a bike again

D. Freeman

Reaction
It may seem obvious but I didn't see anything above, using a steering stabilizer will help you control the steering a bit easier. I would recommend for your application a scotts dampener with the (street) valving setup. this dampener dampens both to and away from center and i would think be a good bit of help keeping a handle on the front end. after playing with multiple dampeners the scotts has better adjustments. high and low speed dampening circuits as well as an adjustable sweep range so you can choose how far away from center it dampens.

slim01

Reaction
It may seem obvious but I didn't see anything above, using a steering stabilizer will help you control the steering a bit easier. I would recommend for your application a scotts dampener with the (street) valving setup. this dampener dampens both to and away from center and i would think be a good bit of help keeping a handle on the front end. after playing with multiple dampeners the scotts has better adjustments. high and low speed dampening circuits as well as an adjustable sweep range so you can choose how far away from center it dampens.
Good point mate. My WRF has a scotts above bar set up on it already but the R6 does not. I have been looking into it but never really gave it an urgency after the accident, that might just change now. It does get a little light on the front end when you twist the the throttle and Ive always thought it could do with one. Thanks for the suggestion bud, appreciate the input.

slim01

Reaction
Just a bit of an update, today I got to ride for the first time since the accident. Dad came over and helped me switch the clutch over to the RHS. It will take a little time to work the front brake, throttle and clutch smoothly but its certainly something which is doable.

Please excuse the open face and no gloves, I gave it a thought but was too keen to ride and let it slip this time

AZ7000'

Reaction
Go rekluse and get back to your regular right throttle clutch. You don't need the fancy one, $395 for a crf450x. The Ktm's are $100 more for the hydraulic. I have 250+ hours on one, it will change your style but for the good!!

Yeah, us prices...

Romero

Reaction
Already riding with arm still in a sling. You are a beast! Thoughts with you through your journey.

slim01

Reaction
Sorry for not updating sooner, Ive had a busy month. More notable incidents involve breaking the 'ball joint from the Humorous bone in the same arm due to a horse I was riding that got spooked. The good part is, because the shoulder and arm is already numb there was little pain,....... one hell of a bruise though. You can see in the x-ray how much muscle tone has been lost by how low the 'ball' is sitting out of the socket.

The good news is I found a better surgeon who has got the recovery process going. Within a week of meeting I had 2 consults, 1 MRI and 2 surgeries.The result so far is that I have had nerves removed from both legs from the ankle to the back of the knee. the have been connected to the nerve 'trunks' from the spinal column and have been left open at the other end. A 3rd surgery will be required to join everything together.

I have also ordered a Recluse EXP 2.0 clutch for the WRF to get me back on the bike sooner. I'll ride one handed for a while and hope over time I may get some limited use from the knackered arm. I guess progress is progress, cant wait for the Recluse :)

rhino89523

Reaction
My good friend lost his right arm and still rides. He has a thing he puts on at the elbow where his old arm ends and on the end of the prosthetic the best I can describe is a snap in trailer ball. His throttle and front brake are on the left side of the bike and his clutch is built into an actuator off the shift lever so when he either pushes or pulls the shifter up or down it engages the clutch. When he goes to take off he lets up slow on the shifter....This is on a Streetbike but it goes to show where there is a will there is a way. Here is hoping the best for your recovery.

slim01

Reaction
Hey guys, just thought I'd post an update. Im currently waiting for my 4th surgery, hoping it will be my last. The arm is no better but there is a little bit of gain with my fingers. Im struggling to make a fist due to tendons shrinking in the hand and forearm. Im a bit slack on the rehab side but its hard to be enthusiastic with very little progress.

On the plus side, Ive had a recluse fitted to the WR and wired up an aftermarket switch block to the right hand side for indicators etc. Also fitted the supermoto kit and large tank. I rode it once before flying off for work and seemed to work ok. Due to not knowing what caused my crash on this bike I was a bit jumpy on the ride. I'll get some seat time in a couple of weeks when the missus and I do a 3-4day ride around some twisty roads a few hours away. We'll just explore the roads near where the missus used to ride before we met.

I need to chop the sidestand down to suit the wheels, but aside from that and a wash its right to go

JDDurfey

Reaction
Dude, you are an inspiration. Hang in there man. Keep up with the therapy. Sometimes progress is slow.