1 or 2 seater?

A&SCHASE1

Hero
RDC Crypto
Si I'm looking at a class 1600 single seat car. I've been racing with a co-dawg since I started racing. What are the pros and cons of racing alone? I know there's a lot of 1-10- 1600 and 12 cars that are single seat and have great results. What are your thoughts- mike

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Rick 1634

RDC Crypto
There a many pro/con's in the single or two seat choice. Ran a 2/1600 for many years before switching to single seat class 12. The deciding factor was I found it easier to focus on driving faster alone, not having to worry about co-rider safety. The down side is that if you do something really freeken cool, nobody saw it.

If your racing in Baja, a second pair of eyes on the gps are golden.

offroadracer516

RDC Crypto
Website
www.race-dezert.com
We own a single seat and two seat 1600. I can drive both at about the same speed. The biggest difference to me is cost. With a two seater you can have a friend ride and help cover entry fee or race gas. A single seater is more expensive to race in my opinion because its all on YOU cost wise. Been racing a lot more lately with the two seater over the single seater for that exact reason. Good luck! Hope to you in the class soon! Join the 1600 group if you have yet to. Log into Facebook | Facebook

Slippery P

RDC Crypto
I agree 100% on the co-dogs life in your hands being a distraction.
Pro - less weight
Pro - less distraction
Pro - only responsible for the well being of yourself

How mechanically inclined are you?

Con - No Navigation help
Con - No mechanical help
Con- you are the only one digging if you find yourself stuck
Con - you have no one to blame your mistakes on ;)
Con - If you get "Barstow Burnout" there's no one there to keep you pumped up & focused.
There is probably much more.

Last edited:

offroadracer516

RDC Crypto
Website
www.race-dezert.com
I agree 100% on the co-dogs life in your hands being a distraction.
Pro - less weight
Pro - less distraction
Pro - only responsible for the well being of yourself

How mechanically inclined are you?

Con - No Navigation help
Con - No mechanical help
Con- you are the only one digging if you find yourself stuck
Con - you have no one to blame your mistakes on ;)
Con - If you get "Barstow Burnout" there's now one there to keep you pumped up & focused.
There is probably much more.

Having a co rider reading off gps turns at races like caliente is a massive advantage.

RYAN COHEE

RDC Crypto
Si I'm looking at a class 1600 single seat car. I've been racing with a co-dawg since I started racing. What are the pros and cons of racing alone? I know there's a lot of 1-10- 1600 and 12 cars that are single seat and have great results. What are your thoughts- mike

Local races under 400 miles single seat cars are the way to go (Don't get any flats)!!!! Racing the big races Mexico,Vegas to Reno ect it's nice to have some extra eyes...My 2 cents

ErikIrvine

RDC Crypto
Website
www.finishlineweld.com
I think the guys above have summed it up pretty well.

If it's a short local race where your buddies will be 5 min away in a chase truck you are never really alone but get all of the advantages of a SS. If it's long all-alone point to point race...dragging the extra 170 lbs. of dead weight may be worth it.

One more advantage is it is way easier to prep a SS IMO. I can reach most things from either side and I love it.

Zac Reish

RDC Crypto
Racing alone is more fun when you finally get the car to the track. I feel like a single seat car has an advantage in limited HP classes.

Fourstroker

RDC Crypto
Raced both. Loved the feeling of being by myself in the seat. But can't replace the memories of sharing that pass, crazy almost rollover, course sighting with your co-dog and crew after the race.

DOCRACING

RDC Crypto
We put "next generation" racers in the co-dawg seat to get some important learning curve time before letting them drive. Then we talk about the good & bad after the race...

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
RDC Crypto
I've raced both a single and two seat 1600 car. Get the two seater. Having someone with you is 90% of the fun in off-road racing.

offroadracer516

RDC Crypto
Website
www.race-dezert.com
A two seater is way more of a family oriented machine. Single seaters are selfish vehicles.
We put "next generation" racers in the co-dawg seat to get some important learning curve time before letting them drive. Then we talk about the good & bad after the race...
I learned to run up front by riding with my Dad "King" Dave Hendrickson, Cameron Steele and Bean. I would not trade those miles I got to experience riding with them for anything. They scared me to death! But what I was able to take from that and put towards my own driving ability is priceless.

mgobaja

RDC Crypto
Some real valid points have been made here.

I know a guy who has done both. 1/2-1600 car was a two seat. Went to a class 10 and went single seat, was concerned about hurting somebody should he have " the big one ".

Also know a class 1 guy, who has a few wins, and championships, in a single seat car. He has been honored with racing a TT a few times over the last 10 years as well, and really likes having somebody to call out turns, and get out for flats when they happen.