# 1 Sanctioning Body....

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I was going to do a poll on this subject but decided that it would be better if we just wrote in our votes so as to see who voted and why.

I like SCORE and believe me it's not any love for Sal Fish but I do think the races are the most fun from a spectator standpoint and besides that, I just love Mexico!

Shaun

Gabe Lara

Reaction
You gotta love those SCORE for the races in Mex.
Where else do the big boys come out in force, and do their thing?
My cousins even get the day off down there for the 500 and 1000!
Sal does need to look at organizing a race in Barstow again.....I think we all miss that race.

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
For me it would have to be Score also but followed close by MDR. I have not made it out to a SNORE or Whip race so I dont know about those orgs, MDR is local and is like supporting a mom and pop bagel shop to me. Score draws the big names, I dont think anyone can argue that. BITD seems to run a good show but not spectator friendly, I thank Gabe for taking me to see all his cousins in San Felipe, I did not attend the Mexico races until that race and now I have added a couple of more races to my yearly spectating/picture taking schedule

THNKPNK

OG Offroad Chick
Reaction
If I could pick my ALL TIME favorite races...it would be the MTEG. Easy to get to---fun to watch, spectator friendly, etc....BUT--since we all know that it's not around anymore...it would have to be a tie between BITD and MDR. (BITD for the payback/organization and MDR for the FUN!)

kurt

Reaction
All the sanctioning bodies have their strengths and weakness'. What would be cool is to take the best from each and combine it into one great series (I know, easier said then done). Seeing that the vast majority of off-road racers are from so-cal, NV, AZ a series consisting of Barstow, Lucerne, Primm, Laughlin, Parker and Havasu, would all be within 4 hours for the NV & CA people and at least half those are within that for the AZ folks. I think that would draw some big fields = big payback. People would still run the Mexico races because of the history-prestige-and there just cool races.

martininsocal

Reaction
the best sanctioning body was the mint hotel(howe i believe was their competition director) but that is old stuff and most of the folks today never even got to a real mint race. same with walt lott and hdra. the effort put into the frontier 500's(the first ones) really were professional for the time(even by todays standards). vorra had some good races in the virginia city days, but have given way to non-competetive type events with loose rules. vince tjelmland(i think thats how it is spelled) gave a good effort at perris auto raceway, but it wasn't supported by the racers or fans. actually right now, i think
the promoters are not doing an adequate job(with regards to whiplash, haven't been to one of their races in years and vorra has someone new at the reigns this year). i would have to say right now, the best attempt at a great race is laughlin because of the potential, but score is trying hard to kill it by over charging too much for spectators.

If your gonna go, go BIG

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
In my opinion all those sanction bodies should get together and form one rule book, one combined points system and just plain out work together. But then again its easier said then done.

TimHayosh

Reaction
Klaus, I quite agree. Let them all unite under one name, and each would have it's own regional domain; i.e. SNORE-Nevada, MDR-California Mid, FUD-California South, VORRA-California North, Whiplash-Arizona, SCORE/CODE-Mexico...you get the idea. Of course, each of these promoters have their own agenda and ego, so getting them all in the same room to unite is unlikely. But, think of the increased exposure and political power we would have as a united group!

So, you have your regional events then you have combined events (SCORE?) that you have to qualify for based on your regional points. I think the SCCA does it this way. Also, the regions 'could' hold events on the same days as each other. This free's up dates for the national events.

Here's an idea: each of these regions hosts a "National Event" during the year. These count like double points toward your national championship. This way, each promoter gets a boost like PRODirt at Whiplash's Parker race this year. It's good for everyone.

A racer would hold regional points AND national points. You could, conceivably, be #2 in your region, and still be #1 nationally.

The common rulesbook thing is HUGE! It would be great to know that no matter where you raced, everyone is limited in the same way. And I like the idea of the same tech inspector's keeping it all nice and legal.

Thinking out loud......

Tim 951

scott

Reaction
SCORE for the big boys.... The organization would be better if they brought back the Fireworks 250, and now that Whiplash took it over.....looks like it won't be back, same can be said for the PARKER 400.. BITD gets some big boys, and i've been to a couple of MDR races... I think MDR is local and is an easy drive to view................My 2 cents..

Jimmy8

Reaction
I think that in this point in time it would have to be BITD. I think that SCORE is pretty good to, but it is just too expensive to run there, and there is no payback. Jay at Whiplash may be getting some good races, but if you have ever dealt with him, he just has his head stuck up his A**. As far as SNORE, MDR, and VORRA I really dont know because I have never been to one of their races.

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
having them unite is unlikely to happen in the near future.

Imagine Ford, Chrysler and GM unite...cars could be made for a less money and we (consumers) could benefit. Or rdc, orc and go desert...One strong network.
But the reality is we each have our own egos, ideas and agendas.

As a racer you could make a difference if you all get united and apply some juice. Look at Pro Dirt. As much as I hate a change in class one. I love the idea of racers sitting down and getting organized. I am sure Whiplash was stoked when all the ProDirt big boys showed up for the PArker 400. That is power. If all the racers would be in one union they would have the power to dictate what the promoters does.

In the ideal world it would look like this:

- One sanction body.
Equal Rules.
One national champion per class.

- Multiple Promoters (MDR, SCORE, WHIP, BITD, FUD, CODE , VORA etc...)
spreading the races across different regions.

- two levels of racing.
entry level = you race with one promoter all the time (e.g. MDR)
pro level = you race with multiple promoters venues under one sanctioning body for the championship (eg. MDR, SCORE, BITD)

entry level has lower contingency winnings then pro and no TV coverage
Pro level has higher entry fees and is a traveling circus. Selected races per each promoter for the championship.

The promoters won't change what is not broken. Prodirt. Actually they pretty much do what I posted above. The ProDirt series is a championship across multiple venues and promoters. Perhaps another class needs to follow the ProDirt initiative

During the last couple of month I talked to various racers and I see such a trend. Its just a matter of time.

Mike_McCluskey

Reaction
I think Klaus is on the right track. I think if the racers were to unite and maybe make the promoters fight to get the racers to their respective events it might force the promoters to work together more. No more conflicting race dates. Maybe a few less regional races but with higher entries, payback, and sponsor support. Prodirt is on the right track and other classes are starting to catch on.
Thats it from me. I've spent my .02

rdc

Reaction
Damn Klaus, that was good!
And Tim, great ideas too. Now if only the powers that be, the promoters, could see the light and realize that if they put there individual ego’s aside, they could actually make more money and better the sport at the same time. And they may not have a choice. Groups like Prodirt and Pro Truck may force these ways of thinking to become reality. If the racers decide which races to race and have their own point system the fans will fallow the racers. After all, it’s the racers we go to see not the promoters.

Shaun

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I agree with Klaus and Tim. And kind of like Tim just said, here is another sport that has a great system. BMX racing and Mountain bike racing. BMX has ABA and NBL each is all over the US but there are different promoters(home town tracks) that you can race at. It's not different organizations that put on the race, just someone that can run an ABA or NBL race. And there is a National series every year, and east and west coast etc... And Mtn. bikes has NORBA with almost the same layout, except BMX gives you a number to use all year and points that are accumulated for the year, and NORBA has different #'s at each race. And each NORBA race is put on by someone that is a NORBA official for that area.

But I do like SCORE for the Baja races. And MDR and VORRA are fun affordable races.

just my opinion
Curtis

rdc

Reaction
These are all great ideas!!! I hope that the racers will come together and do this. It is the only way the sport will ever go big!

Tony

HTTP404

Reaction
Fud. I think Fud does a great job. He is hands on, experienced, knows his way around a computer and does a good job with the PR. Fud has a decent relationship with the BLM and Mexican officials too. If Fud were running the SCORE series all these years things would be much different. You can bet there would be more than 5 races per YEAR.

Tim

martininsocal

Reaction
I think the ideas here are on the right track. While everyone hates to hear it, these are ideas are very similiar to what nascar or nhra has done, but offroad never followed. a strict set of rules for each class that insures that your car would be legal and competitive at any track you take it to. classes designed for entry level, hobby, semi-professional and professional racers. entry feees based on these classes and the ability to race at a rgional level, but still qualify for national points championships.
Until this happens, there will be no real tv deals, there will be no big sponsor money, and there will be promoters screwing each other over by conflicting race dates, tieing up dates on a calendar to prevent previous races from occurring, and submitting way more permitted dates than they plan to run. As this poll has pointed out, most of the racers and fas are loyal to their local promoter or whichever series they run. I didn't see many posts concerning snore, which is funny because i believe they offer the best program for the small racer at this time, but since they have their own board, they probably don't even read this one. just shows how this sport is becoming clickish and marginalized by too many promoters.

If your gonna go, go BIG