• Forum membership has its advantages....

1 to 1 4 link

heavy8

I am considering running a 1 to 1 ratio 4link in the rear of my fullsize truck. What i mean by 1 to 1 ratio is that i would mount the 18'' coilovers off the axle so that the links would not be supporting the wieght, they would just be locating the axle. this should give me a bit over 20" of travel, this is all I need. I need some opinions on the mechanical aspects of this type of setup. Does it work good. pros,cons, My opinion is it would be easy to tune and very strong whats yours please...

PS the truck is fully caged with no bed already...

Jack

Yes this is the best way if you can get a shock that is long enough for the travel you need (wich you have) it is a lot easer to tune, the only wierd part is getting a light enough primary coil, I know on our J10 we used a 100# primary and a 300# secondary coil. The 100# is rare as most coil over systems are remote mounted, they need more rate.

scott

Some short-course trucks have that type of set-up. I don't know if it'll work that good on a full-size truck, but I know that, when I went to Estero Beach, all the Mid-size or mini's had that set up and it worked well for lots of them............

Mike_HKmtrsprts

im no pro fabricator but you idea will work fine,but like you said it will limit your travel to 20" if you located the shocks at the back of the cab and on the trailing arm is should stroke around 24 to 26" of travel if you can live with 20" do it.

FABRICATOR

heavy8,
Good question. The right answer depends on what you are using the truck for.

There are basically 2 main advantages to mounting the shocks part way out on the arms. The first is to obtain the most wheel travel. Second is to slow down the shock so it does not over heat during racing conditions. Disadvantages include heavier arms, heavier shocks, heavier springs, and heavier mountings. All of which also means more work and more dollars.

A smaller diameter shock mounted at the axle can do the same work of a fatter shock mounted part way on the arm. This is because the smaller shock will have a longer stroke. Actual damping rendered is based on leverage and flowing a given amount of fluid, regardless of stroke or piston size. It is all a function of converting mechanical energy into heat energy. If it is used for racing, a shock mounted at the axle moves fluid at an excessive rate of speed. At these speeds, the fluid would get hot even if the damping valving were removed. This heat gets added to the necessary damping heat.

If the 18" shock is mounted on the axle, it would be tricky to get 20" of travel.

If your truck is a daily driver, chase truck or a not-so-fast race truck it should be fine.