10 bolt limited slip

CanyonMan

Reaction
Does anybody know of a good way to tighten up the limited slip in my 97 GMC K1500 with factory 10 bolt?

Lyrch<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by CanyonMan on 04/16/03 06:48 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

K5Blazer

Reaction
the stock ones suck, they arent really a limited slip. they act like a auto-locking locker there for you either need to replace it or live with it.

CanyonMan

Reaction
I've heard you can replace a spring or add a clutch to tighten it up. I am trying to save money for a 14FF right now so am looking for budget upgrades. I understand they are junk, believe me 3 grenaded 10 bolts in my old 71 Monte Carlo proves that.

Lyrch

redline

Reaction
just leave it till it breaks itself or you can afford a eaton or a real locker

Project1500

Reaction
I would also leave it until it breaks then upgrade the rear end. The Eaton Gov Lok you have now is pretty much junk. It unlocks after 20 mph and works half the time in my old experiances.

CanyonMan

Reaction
Well I guess it's decided then. I'll run it till it breaks then replace with the 14FF. Then of course I'll have to install a rear disk kit, which means I can stop faster which means I can add more power. Excellent!!!

Lyrch

CanyonMan

Reaction
I have but bolting in a 14FF is the easiest and cheapiest all the way around. Also, I like to do rock crawling and mudding so the extra strength would be nice. I figure I'll build a more specific prerunner since the IFS trucks are really expensive and difficult to get travel out of. Probably either an S10 or Toyota for the prerunner.

Lyrch