10 year anniversary of the Parker Mud Bowl!

scottm

Reaction
10 years ago this weekend - pouring rain and snow, washes 2 feet deep, lights and communications not working, infield pits a mud bog, drivers on the verge of hypothermia. This is Brian Folks at midway, driving a Banning car with a lap full of mud and nearly frozen. There's a chance of rain again this weekend, so pack rain gear!

Attachments

• DSC02050.JPG
    DSC02050.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 706
  • DSC02059.JPG
    DSC02059.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 740

baja_racer

Reaction
Great post..........I REALLY hope that is not the case again this year, fortunately Graham Wells soaks up the rain better than the main pit does. Rain gear packed.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Oh this year might be even worse! Check out the wind coming with the 80% rain on Saturday!!! This is gonna be interesting!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 4.37.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 4.37.05 PM.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 529

MTPyle

Reaction
forecast says "cloudy with occasional rain showers". it has 80% chance of rain. But that just means 80% chance it will rain but could only rain for 10 minutes. Earlier reports said 1/4" of rain expected but they have taken that out of the forecast. Still too far out to believe any forecast. They can barely get right for the next day, 4 days out is hard.

Wind will be nice either way. It will dry up the water and move any dust. Could be perfect conditions for a race.

Trying to think positive about it :)

Mike

Fourstroker

Reaction
That day was brutal. Believe it or not looking back I was thankful I didn’t go out on our 3rd lap. Car was running like crap and we were already behind along ways with our issues. One of our team cars made it through but it was unreal

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
I remember taking the race car to the do it yourself carwash in Parker after that race. Man it sucked. Sitting in the chase truck the entire race wasn't too fun but at least it was warm.

swiftracing5

Reaction
We got a flat and the car wouldn’t start after stalling. Didn’t have enough power to transmit out. I walked in the rain, soaked, found a broken car that was abandoned. Used
their radio to transmit for help. Bitd chase shows up to tow us back and I kid you not he only had a 15’ strap and felt the need to tow us at 45+. Helmet, brain, eyes, soul took a while to recover. Hoping for a good race this year!

MikeL

Reaction
I was Matt Cullen's co-driver in the F&L Class 10. The last lap was absolutely brutal. The car stalled and would not re-fire just after going under the highway to the finish. We had to push the car down that last asphalt section to the finish. Roasted CV's, pouring rain, muddy and exhausted drivers made for a tough push but we finished.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
Just one of the reasons I'm staying put this weekend. I'll
never forget that night!

jon coleman

Reaction
10 years ago this weekend - pouring rain and snow, washes 2 feet deep, lights and communications not working, infield pits a mud bog, drivers on the verge of hypothermia. This is Brian Folks at midway, driving a Banning car with a lap full of mud and nearly frozen. There's a chance of rain again this weekend, so pack rain gear!
oh yeah, i was on my way just to spectate, got to plaster city & said 'aaaaa, no',hung out, had a sandwich and went home and had a hot cup of cocoa, all curled up on the couch with tv remote& a blanky, race tip glad trash bags50 ga. hd work great to cover seats, and your self so u can enjoy the sleet

bobylax

Reaction
We were able to keep a camp fire going, and we had 4 teams that stopped and climbed out of their cars to share our fire and enjoy some hot cocoa at our check in Osborne Wash. 2 of them called it quits and headed for the pavement at Shea Rd. crossing and home. I think the temp got down to the high 30’s by 10:00 that night. Pretty miserable!!

Baja Belk

Reaction
Oh man. I got cold just reading this. My co-dawg still brings up this race and laughs at me. We weren't driving, but rather pitting for Dave Bonner and Jim Anderson in our 5 car at Graham Well and shooting pics with my good camera. Dave passed us but called in a mile or two down the course and reported a dead alternator. I didn't have one, but I did have a spare battery that would at least get him to the next pit. I found a BITD official who told me I could take his personal range quad down to our car to drop the battery as long as I stayed off the course (still not sure how that flew at the time but I wasn't about to argue). This was right before the rain started. I had on jeans and a puffy jacket that wasn't remotely waterproof. Put on a helmet and took off. It was slow going picking through the bushes trying to stay off the course. Not even 5 minutes after I left the heavens opened up. Complete downpour, sheets of rain. Freezing freezing cold. It seemed like I had gone well over a couple miles but still couldn't find our car. Turns out, he had received a tow from another vehicle to an access road and was at Midway drinking hot cocoa.

I ended up going 13 miles to the checkpoint where the course jogs back toward Midway. They told me they hadn't seen our car and asked where the hell I had come from. I turned around and started picking my way back, now half frozen, arms completely numb to my shoulders. The race course was basically a foot deep in spots and flowing like a river. Then it started hailing, and the quad stalled. I can honestly say this was one of the few times in my life I was genuinely nervous about my well-being. I was completely disoriented and had no idea where I was. This was before I had a smart phone and Google Maps. No reception on my flip phone. The quad started again, and I made it almost all the way back, half-dead, when the BITD official and my co-dawg found me. They had jumped in his truck to come find me after I had been gone for several hours. My buddy says I looked like Sasquatch, covered head to toe in mud and basically incoherent. It took me 30 minutes in the hot shower in our camper before I could even talk again. Packed up and boogied home, road completely flooded all the way back to Desert Center.

That was a fun one....

DSC03323.jpg

DSC05978.jpg

Muddy gloves.jpg

Muddy jacket.jpg

Jack

Reaction
Yes. Very much adventure that night. One of our guys just about cut his finger clear off. Two others delirious cold walking through the desert. I can't find the pictures right now, but we had to leave one of the Jeep's in the wash under the 95 and get it pulled out the next morning once the water level went down.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
Well, it's nice in Parker right now, butt it's pouring here! Supposed to
rain there Sat....

jon coleman

Reaction
Oh man. I got cold just reading this. My co-dawg still brings up this race and laughs at me. We weren't driving, but rather pitting for Dave Bonner and Jim Anderson in our 5 car at Graham Well and shooting pics with my good camera. Dave passed us but called in a mile or two down the course and reported a dead alternator. I didn't have one, but I did have a spare battery that would at least get him to the next pit. I found a BITD official who told me I could take his personal range quad down to our car to drop the battery as long as I stayed off the course (still not sure how that flew at the time but I wasn't about to argue). This was right before the rain started. I had on jeans and a puffy jacket that wasn't remotely waterproof. Put on a helmet and took off. It was slow going picking through the bushes trying to stay off the course. Not even 5 minutes after I left the heavens opened up. Complete downpour, sheets of rain. Freezing freezing cold. It seemed like I had gone well over a couple miles but still couldn't find our car. Turns out, he had received a tow from another vehicle to an access road and was at Midway drinking hot cocoa.

I ended up going 13 miles to the checkpoint where the course jogs back toward Midway. They told me they hadn't seen our car and asked where the hell I had come from. I turned around and started picking my way back, now half frozen, arms completely numb to my shoulders. The race course was basically a foot deep in spots and flowing like a river. Then it started hailing, and the quad stalled. I can honestly say this was one of the few times in my life I was genuinely nervous about my well-being. I was completely disoriented and had no idea where I was. This was before I had a smart phone and Google Maps. No reception on my flip phone. The quad started again, and I made it almost all the way back, half-dead, when the BITD official and my co-dawg found me. They had jumped in his truck to come find me after I had been gone for several hours. My buddy says I looked like Sasquatch, covered head to toe in mud and basically incoherent. It took me 30 minutes in the hot shower in our camper before I could even talk again. Packed up and boogied home, road completely flooded all the way back to Desert Center.

That was a fun one....

View attachment 198570

View attachment 198571

View attachment 198572

View attachment 198573
wow , u lucky, your driver owes u free dinners for life. lesson, he broke fundamental rule of search& rescue, stay put.see, that glad trash bag works for mx too , used one years ago in the gfi winter series no.so. showdown. i remember guy i preped for telling me.i was toasty at glen helen while other riders looked like how you described it.

5racer

Reaction
I was driving Steve tyos new 5 car and the thing stalled about 5 miles before pit 3 ,i tried drying things out with no luck it was pouring down rain, i pumped some gas out and tried lighting a railroad tie on fire and the only thing that remotely got close to burning was me . so we set in car shaking like dogs for some reason i tried starting it again and it fired up ,the only thing that was on my mind was don't stall and get to a fire to get warm ,by this time the water is a foot deep in the wash and the tires were my prop i finally get to pit three and pulled up to 50 gallon drum on fire i was so cold they had to get me out of car some nice folks with a motor home let us set inside i was naked in a blanket with a dog cuddled up with me to try and get warm .soooo what happens this year blow motor 40 miles from checker that would have put us on podium in mineral wash long story short 17 miles on asphalt behind a f250 9;30 at night in the rain grrrrrr . god i love this stuff lol

baja_racer

Reaction
For those out of the loop, we were spared the heavy rains this year.