100,000 mile service

BeastlyFord

Reaction
Well, the old z-71 is just about to roll over 100k miles and I was wondering what I should do to her maintenance wise? I know I am going to change oil and filter, plugs, plug wires, dist. cap and rotor, clean the KNN, and flush the cooling system. What else should I do? Also, what all do dealers do when you bring your car to them for the 100k service and how much does it cost? Just a little info on the truck, it is a 94 chevy z-71 with an efi 350 and an auto transmission. Thanks guys and sorry about the boring maintenance post!

If it doesn't fit, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacement anyway

hoeker

Reaction
change oil in the diffs, transmission, and t case. all the stuff you haven't touched yet.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
Yeah, if you do lots of towing your actually supposed to change the transmission fluid as frequently as every 50k (that's according to my GM manual for an '00 Silverado). Your truck must stay parked alot to only have 100k on a '94. My '00 just hit 78k this week, yikes!!

I would also do a complete radiator flush and new fluid too, along with the other stuff that Hoek mentioned, the diff's and stuff.

I was surprised to see all the stuff the owners manual wants you to change along the way. Fuel filter every 30k, rotate tires every 6500, differential after the first 500 miles of towing, etc.

Bill Schmitt

tedmales

Reaction
fuel filter, and then it depends on how much you want to spend. you can eliminate some future problems maybe have the alternator rebuilt, higher amperage, maybe look into water pump and even a fuel pump. these are things that can go at any time, and its better to fix it before your on the side of the road in mexico. have the fuel injectors cleaned. it really depends if you are into this truck for the long haul, and how much stuff has been done to it. when you flush the transmission, if it has never been done it could make it go out. the flush breaks loose all the sludge inside and moves it to places it should not be. just depends on how much $$ you can invest to try to get another 100k out of it. good luck

life is too short to be small

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Serpentine belt and tensioner to add to the list. I was watching Shady Tree Mechanic and they said to change the tensioner with every belt change! Who agrees with that?

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

Tom_Willis

Reaction
might be time to look under the seats and in the glove box, to vacuum out the random french fry or melted snickers bar.. I was cleaning out the glove box of an old truck I had just bought once and found purple lipstick and rolling papers waaaay in the back. I would not have wanted to explain either to the CHP :)

I live my life one paycheck at a time

hoeker

Reaction
on certain cars i've heard that for timing belts. never needed to on sepentine belts. so i guess i dissagree with that one.

don't touch the motor!!! if that thing still runs good don't mess with the timing chain. something about newer engines, seems like the less you mess with them the better. we're talking maintenance, so the phrase "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" comes to mind. same with fuel pumps, etc. these things can last several hundred thousand miles. the one in the tank could last longer than a brand new one.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

dunerking

Reaction
I just was remembering in the Toyota maintence book for my 22re they suggest changing the timing chain (at I think it was 75,000 or something)and the belt for the Tacoma was about he same.Thought it might carry over to other type of mechanical motors,my bad.Preventive maintence,before it breaks.

hit it hard

drtdevil93

Reaction
difference with they toyota is its an piston-valve interference motor, meaning the piston and the valves go into the same area at different times. if you break the chain, they go at the same time, and boom, you have done a lot of damage. on things like that, you cant wait for it to break, unless you want to put a new motor in it.

erik

DougM

Reaction
O2 sensor(s)
transmission fluid
fuel flter
diff(s)
transfercase
coolant
serp belt
hoses(upper,lower,heater)
H20 pump(check) bypass hose