• Forum membership has its advantages....

1000 hp prerunner transmission usage

Bob_Sheaves

Hi all,

As a continuation of a previous thread, for those that remember M/T's Baja Boot, etc......if someone seriously wanted to build a 1000 hp prerunner (ready Ryan?), there IS a transmission that is available to use (with a bit of modification-like a really BIG oil cooler). Just see the following:

http://www.allisontransmission.com/product/series/1000series_specificationsheets.jsp

Handling 545 lb/ft of input torque in OE form (with a 100,000 mile warrenty) this trans can be used basically as is (new shafting at most is all I would do, plus different clutch linings). While not a real lightweight at 350 lbs., it really isn't too bad, if you feel the need for some real speed....LOL

Best as always,

Bpb Sheaves

(PS- I am not advocating any such vehicle be built, just that t is not as impracticle as some might believe. Refueling, as mentioned before, could be solved by judicious application of a KC130 borrowed from the Marine Corps for refueling FA18's and CH53's on the move.)

Ryno

Bob-

Funny, I thought when you saw the other post, you would jump on this. I also thought about Allison as a possible....They are building the trannies for chevy now, and chevy has 500ft lbs out of the diesel. I was dreaming of course, but hey, I could always build the side panels and bed out of hydroformed plastic, then hold about 100 gallons of fuel =) Ok, I need to stop dreaming now, and get back to my homework.

Ryno

PS-Anything super cool being designed in Japan?

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Bob_Sheaves

Hi Ryan,

Yep, the Allison 1000 Series is that same trans used behind the Duramax. It even has the capabilities to add an NVG242HD/AMG transfer case, should you wish to continue with the AWD from a HMMWV....LOL!!!! I just couldn't let that one pass me by....

Nothing from Japan I can talk about, but keep watching the news about the Colorado (replacement for the S10). You might be impressed.

Best as always,

Bob Sheaves

Dave_G

Re: Yep, the Allison 1000 Series is that same trans used behind the Duramax.

Bob,
The Allison trans works great behind a slower turning diesel engine but can't deal with the higher RPM's of a gas motor in a race vehicle. Believe me, that deal has been studied to death by the Herbst camp. The problems are numerous and it was easier to build a trans from scratch than to re-engineer the Allison.

Best,
Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

DPpatrol

I've seen some news on the Colorado and all I can say is I'm very impressed. Now all the General needs to do is start backing racing and he'll rewin the respect I once had for the GM marque.

jason

Bob_Sheaves

Hi Dave,

I was making a joke that was perhaps better left off the board, sorry-Ryan and I have had a few email conversations on my personal Blazer, which has the 6.5T and has been somewhat messed with. That particular trans is, as you say, limited to 5000 rpm input (according to the spec sheet), and does not like higher rpm's.

I am surprised Herbst guys would look at it!

Best as always,

Bob Sheaves

Ryno

Bob-

No worries, it's all in comedy! =) I don't know if you know about Herbst, but they have been plagued by the gremlins with their trannies. They were looking for a beefy piece, something that would take the abuse, and HP they have. I guess they have solved the problem from last year, they had a couple DNF's. Have fun in Japan!! Easy on the squid sushi!

Ryan

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Bob_Sheaves

Hi Ryan,

FYI- I am back home in Detroit now. Finished up the Japanese contract and came home for my wife to have ournew addition to the family. Michael is doing fine (new son) and I've bought him his first Jeep already...LOL!!! Imagine that- retired and now starting a new career as a DAD again!

Best as always,

Bob Sheaves

GEARS

HOW ABOUT A TRANSAXLE! HP RATED AT 1200 FOR PRERUNNER,4SPEED SEQUENTIAL,DESIGNED FOR OFF-ROAD ABUSE,13" RING & PINION,INTERNAL OILING,USES CV'S THAT HAVE 40 DEGRES OF ANGLE,MID OR REAR ENG. P.S.(I DO ADVOCATE SUCH A VEHICLE TO BE BUILT!!!!)

COGFIXER

FABRICATOR

I'm sure there is no limit to what the Herbst's will look at. Unfortunately there should be. The Trophy Tank has gone from beef to pork! Another 1000 lbs and 200 horsepower just might do the trick...
Dave, you might need to find something even stronger than maraging steel.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

FABRICATOR

Hi Bob,
As I recall, Hewland made an LG 600 for the big block Can Am cars. When the cars went, so did the transaxles. These have been tried off-road along with some "big" ZF's, Ferarri, Colotti and some others many years back. The problem is always broken cases or broken ring and pinions. None of the production road race transaxles were designed for heavy duty off-road abuse, which play hell in the final drive area.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

Bob_Sheaves

Hi Fabricator,

I remember the old LG's- the LSG-A is a newer version (that's why I included the URL for those interested), I was curious who built one for 1000+hp.....I do not know of any in any application that will handle that kind of loading (but I do not know everything!). That's why the question. I have seen (and played with) a couple of Weismann, ZF, and Ferguson boxes, among others and they were generally pretty fragile-nothing a redesign would not have cured, but it all costs money...LOL!!

Best as always,

Bob Sheaves

GEARS

THE ROAD RACE TRANSAXELS & OFFSHORE TRANS YOU HAVE MENTIONED ARE EXELENT PARTS FOR THERE INTENTION,BUT WHEN THESE BOXES START SEEING LOAD REVERSALS COMPARIBALE TO OFF-ROAD THEN THE FAILER RATE WILL INCREASE GREATLY.THE MAG CASES ON THESE ROAD BOXES ARE THE FIRST WEAK LINK THAN THE FINAL DRIVE.CURENTLY MENDEOLA RACING HAS ENGENERED A TRANSAXEL AS WELL AS A DRIVE LINE FOR OFF-ROAD USE.TESTING OF THIS UNIT IS CURRENTLY GOING ON IN THE NEW JIMCO CLASS 1 CAR.THIS TRANSAXEL IS A 4SPEED SEQUENTIAL DOG BOX BASED AROUND A 13" SPIRAL BEVAL RING GEAR WITH 4" SHAFT CENTERS BETWEEN LAYSHAFT & PINION.ITS EST. WEIGHT IS 300LBS. EST.HP FOR OFF-ROAD IS 900HP EST.TORK 800FTLBS, FOR SAND TOYS EST.HP=1200HP A 2ND GEAR SET WILL BE AVALIBAL FOR A EST.HP=2000HP
WELCOM TO THE WORLD OF V8,V10,V12 & SUPERCHARGERS.........
ITS TIME TO GO FAST!!!!!!!

COGFIXER

FABRICATOR

Sounds good in theory and it's a very nice product. We all need to keep in mind that torque and horsepower ratings are deceiving. They are a lot like welders. The ratings mentioned do not reflect a high duty cycle. There are also differences between high horse capabilities used in the sand and those of off-road racing. A transaxle for off-road racing used behind a healthy V-8 that does not need a total rebuild, x-rays, and at least a few parts after every single time out, must have the right stuff in the right places. Time will tell if that unit is the first production transaxle to have it or not.