• Forum membership has its advantages....

107F Saturday for the 500 !

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
I know it’s pretty elementary, but 107 dressed in your layers of Nomex is a recipe for serious heat related illnesses. Besides racers keeping hydrated, chase crews should be able to identify and be equipped to treat dehydration or even heat stroke.

Starting hydrated, then maintaining the hydration is the only way you’ll get through the race. You 45 to 50 plus guys are more susceptible to heat stroke, so I’d take it seriously.

There’s plenty of info on the web on how much and what to drink when, I’d spend a little extra time on it!

harleys dad

I know it’s pretty elementary, but 107 dressed in your layers of Nomex is a recipe for serious heat related illnesses. Besides racers keeping hydrated, chase crews should be able to identify and be equipped to treat dehydration or even heat stroke.

Starting hydrated, then maintaining the hydration is the only way you’ll get through the race. You 45 to 50 plus guys are more susceptible to heat stroke, so I’d take it seriously.

There’s plenty of info on the web on how much and what to drink when, I’d spend a little extra time on it!
That is extremely cool by Baja 500 temps of the past

Jerry

At the 250 this year I helped a passenger in a one car who was delirious due to serious dehydration. It was kinda scary. Cold water bottles under the pits as well as fluids and a little food brought him back. Wasn't very warm that day either.

mgobaja

At the 250 this year I helped a passenger in a one car who was delirious due to serious dehydration. It was kinda scary. Cold water bottles under the pits as well as fluids and a little food brought him back. Wasn't very warm that day either.[/QUOTE -

I was thinking about this earlier today actually and wondering how many times that same type of deal will replay itself on Saturday

FAT ROB !

contingency baja 1000 2013 19.png

Dehydration for some of the teams at this years Baja 500 will begin in the Tech Inspection line at Contingency.
It takes Hours to get through the line and most of the refreshments are beer and soda.
Hydrate or Die !

J Prich

That is extremely cool by Baja 500 temps of the past
So I guess disregard any positive advice a person might try to share to help educate people about potential dangers?

randy s

Yeah back in the day it was 150 degrees and the whole loop was uphill.
covered with broken tecate bottles with federales hiding behind every pine tree.

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Electrolyte replacement is key, the Hammer Nutrition stuff works well. I'd be careful introducing a bunch of new chemicals into your system that you've never used before. Pedialyte is probably available at most grocery stores in Ensenada, I'd be drinking it along with water as well as having some available at all stops.

Stay away from alcohol and caffeine until you're celebrating the win, start hydrating now with water at the minimum.

The darker your piss is, the more dehydrated you are.

Good info here-
CHART: Are You Dehydrated?

piss chart.jpg

JDDurfey

And if it turns very brown and your liver hurts about 2 weeks after the race, go see a doc. You drank some bad water and have Hepatitis A. Not fun!

JDDurfey

The little store/taco stand on the highway in Valley T used to carry Pedialyte. I personally bought it there. But drink it slowly.

Bro_Gill

Electrolyte replacement is key, the Hammer Nutrition stuff works well. I'd be careful introducing a bunch of new chemicals into your system that you've never used before. Pedialyte is probably available at most grocery stores in Ensenada, I'd be drinking it along with water as well as having some available at all stops.

Stay away from alcohol and caffeine until you're celebrating the win, start hydrating now with water at the minimum.

The darker your piss is, the more dehydrated you are.

Good info here-
CHART: Are You Dehydrated?

View attachment 170093
This little chart is found on wall of just about every bathroom stall of just about every fire station in California.