• Forum membership has its advantages....

11/16ths wheel studs?

bobsson

So the truck I picked up awhile ago has some interesting design choices that I'm not sure why they were made however one was 11/16ths wheel studs. It's a Dana 44 5x5.5 front end and a 9 inch rear. The reason this is an issue now is I'm looking into spare rims and a 35 spline rear end.

I've only ever seen 5/8th studs available. Converting my set up to 5/8ths makes my current rims on the truck useless and means I'll have to get an additional set of rims to the spares to have a set on the truck and a set to swap to. Will 11/16th studs be a problem on most after market hubs?

If that's a problem, is it possible to run 35 spline axles in a Ford 9 inch housing? OD of the housing is 3 1/4" if that helps determine which housing I have. I know they made a lot of variations of it. If someone has a good source of information on the 9 inch rear housing variances I'd appreciate it.

Forgot to mention I plan on running a strange 35 spline spool and believe I'd have to replace that anyway if I tried putting 35 spline axles in the truck.

Last edited:

51rcr

you can drill your wheels out. which some are sloppy enough they already fit. you can get 5/8th stud with an 11/16 base.
re read your post. your wheels beadlocks? some 5/8 are sloppy to the 11/16. some have that size shoulder and threads 5/8, check with hub companies and you can have some longer shouldered ones stick out iam sure. I think I read camburg hubs were 11/16 shoulder and 5/8 thread.

if your going to build a rearend ya should hit the swapmeet and see if you can find one done close to what ya need, save ya lots of money.

bobsson

you can drill your wheels out. which some are sloppy enough they already fit. you can get 5/8th stud with an 11/16 base.
re read your post. your wheels beadlocks? some 5/8 are sloppy to the 11/16. some have that size shoulder and threads 5/8, check with hub companies and you can have some longer shouldered ones stick out iam sure. I think I read camburg hubs were 11/16 shoulder and 5/8 thread.

if your going to build a rearend ya should hit the swapmeet and see if you can find one done close to what ya need, save ya lots of money.
Yeah, my truck has bead locks but they way they drilled the bead locks, I don't think it will be able to go back to normal. Instead of being counter sunk like most light vehicles, it's the flange nut style of HD trucks.

I was planning on hitting up the swap meet to see what parts I could find. Problem is my shopping list is a mile and a half long now.

I'll try talking to a few more hubs manufacturers. I've asked Currie but never got a response.

Motiracer38

I picked up a set of Chrisman hubs that were 5x5.5 with 11/16 fully threaded studs. I later found a Pro-truck rear axle with the exact same hubs so I figured I lucked out. The problem I found was the lugs. The only ones commercially available are the flat HD style like you found but that means you have to have a centering hub and specifically machined wheels and a sledge hammer to get them off. My current plan is to cut the flat flanged Dorman nuts into a 30deg bevel and bevel the wheels to make it stud-centric. Lot's a lot of work on 20 nuts plus spares but cheaper than having a short run made of nuts with a machinist. My next plan was to sell it all and leave the hassle behind.

51rcr

Yeah, my truck has bead locks but they way they drilled the bead locks, I don't think it will be able to go back to normal. Instead of being counter sunk like most light vehicles, it's the flange nut style of HD trucks.

I was planning on hitting up the swap meet to see what parts I could find. Problem is my shopping list is a mile and a half long now.

I'll try talking to a few more hubs manufacturers. I've asked Currie but never got a response.

what ya want for your wheels? aim coming to the swap meet. make me a deal? I may have a 35 spline spool, but I might not remember where I put it before we head out. msg or call me at 605-391-2822

Motiracer38

Curiosity go the best of me last night and I mocked up everything I have. My Raceline wheels are drilled for 5/8 using a 43/64 bit as near as I can tell and chamfered 90deg to use the standard NASCAR wheel studs. Looks like I'll be needing to drill them too to clear the 11/16 shank and 11/16 thread on my hubs.

Bobsson- you can just chamfer the wheels using a 90deg bit from Mcmaster or similar. They're not cheap if you need anything bigger than 1in. Match the angle of whatever nuts you find.
ARP Speed Nuts 300-7801 is one of the most common but aren't the standard 60deg chamfer that cars use.

allairch

There is a lot of hub company's that use 11/16 studs in their hubs . You will generally find them in the 5x5.5 bolt pattern. I have them on all 3 of my trucks . You are concerned on being hub centric 98% of all race hubs are hubs centric.

bobsson

There is a lot of hub company's that use 11/16 studs in their hubs . You will generally find them in the 5x5.5 bolt pattern. I have them on all 3 of my trucks . You are concerned on being hub centric 98% of all race hubs are hubs centric.
I was concerned if I would have to drill the hub for the larger studs and weaken it doing so more than anything but it appears that it won't be an issue.