• Forum membership has its advantages....

110 Watt VHF Radio Speaker Considerations

Mike321

I currently have a 110 Watt Kenwood in the chase truck with a Kenwood speaker and I’m going to add a second 110 Watt Kenwood to the truck (the second radio isn’t coming with a speaker).

Is there anything I need to know about speakers and VHF? Is there anything special inside the Kenwood speaker that works better with VHF that wouldn’t be found in a normal stereo speaker?

Thanks,
Mike

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
I'm no radio expert, but I don't think so, as I have been using a pair of no-name freebie computer/stereo speakers for several years on both a UHF and VHF radio.

I don't think the frequency at which a radio transmits/receive has any impact on speaker output.

Probably be best to match speaker impedance, but I didn't.

Good luck!

Mike321

I'm no radio expert, but I don't think so, as I have been using a pair of no-name freebie computer/stereo speakers for several years on both a UHF and VHF radio.

I don't think the frequency at which a radio transmits/receive has any impact on speaker output.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. I was actually hoping to be able to use much smaller computer speakers for both radios.

redrider58

Good luck!
+1. RX/TX in any frequency does not matter in terms of what speaker to use. Use whatever speaker to you want.

wheezy

"PRO PHOTO"
You can fry a Kenwood hooking up speakers incorrectly. Download the service manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike321

The link above is really just two small pages. Based on the 790 documentation it reads like there's a max 3 or 13 Watt speaker output depending on setup.

Should be good for most speakers, no?

I'm not concerned about how to hook up the speaker (I have the documentation for wiring a speaker), I was just wondering if there's any magic in the Kenwood speaker hardware vs an ordinary speaker in terms of VHF communication fidelity. (This isn't mentioned in the documentation I have)

I'd really like to switch to a smaller physical size speaker if I can. The Kenwood speaker takes up a lot of room, and I'd rather not add a second one that size.

Last edited:

wheezy

"PRO PHOTO"
Gotcha. Any speaker within spec should be just fine. I'd be curious to know what you ended up going with and how it works out as I set a lot of these up but always just stick with the KES speakers.

wrightracing.net

The thing with the speaker is to make sure it is 4 ohms and at least 15 - 20 watts Capable. If you run anything other then that you run the risk of burning out the amplfier for the audio output. The Kenwood KES-5 and KES-4 are really durable speakers. The issue with computer speakers is, they were never ment to take the vibration of an off road vehicle or the dust/dirt from off roading.

Also, if you get anything less capable of handling 20 watts, the sound will tend to distort. Year's ago I tried running the small little external speaks to save space and they sounded pretty bad. They were only 5 watt capable. Live and learn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk