12 car built off of a 1600 car chassis?

Reaction
Has anyone done that? The 12 cars look like a longer chassis than the 1600 car and i was wondering if anyone has built on off of the 1600 spec chassis length just with a wider beam and wider trailing arms.

joe1369

Reaction
Why not, 1600 cars generally light weight, leave the 091 trans, 12" over front beam, 4" arms, raised spindles, rear needs to extend torsion housing to make car wider, longer rear arms, if possible move engine /trans back 3" to use a longer arm, also, get arms for midboard hubs, coil overs and bypasses on all corners, nothing a quick $6-8000.00 can't solve.:D

westtexasbaja

Reaction
Has anyone done that? The 12 cars look like a longer chassis than the 1600 car and i was wondering if anyone has built on off of the 1600 spec chassis length just with a wider beam and wider trailing arms.

Yes been done. Usually WB is the same in both classes (around 118").

Fourstroker

Reaction
Why not, 1600 cars generally light weight, leave the 091 trans, 12" over front beam, 4" arms, raised spindles, rear needs to extend torsion housing to make car wider, longer rear arms, if possible move engine /trans back 3" to use a longer arm, also, get arms for midboard hubs, coil overs and bypasses on all corners, nothing a quick $6-8000.00 can't solve.:D

You are dreaming if you think $8k will make that change. I would guess closer to $15K to do what you are saying. Others have done it for less but have changed less ie keeping microstubs, etc.

Quess calc on cost:

New Coilovers x 4 = $2000
Fab for Beam and Widened Torsion = $1000
New 4" arms and drop spindles = $3000
New Rear Arms and Midboard Hubs = $4000
New Axles and Tie Rods= $1000

New Motor = OUCH....many people forget about that one

And then you still have a only slightly smaller 12 car with a 4 speed when most guys are running 5 speeds. The concept can work for the right car especially single seaters. I have seen some good ones and some bad ones. Even some that started the way you are talking have changed to a 5 speed.

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
You are dreaming if you think $8k will make that change. I would guess closer to $15K to do what you are saying. Others have done it for less but have changed less ie keeping microstubs, etc.

Quess calc on cost:

New Coilovers x 4 = $2000
Fab for Beam and Widened Torsion = $1000
New 4" arms and drop spindles = $3000
New Rear Arms and Midboard Hubs = $4000
New Axles and Tie Rods= $1000

New Motor = OUCH....many people forget about that one

And then you still have a only slightly smaller 12 car with a 4 speed when most guys are running 5 speeds. The concept can work for the right car especially single seaters. I have seen some good ones and some bad ones. Even some that started the way you are talking have changed to a 5 speed.

hopefully we're not a bad one :confused::eek:

Fourstroker

Reaction
hopefully we're not a bad one :confused::eek:

I've never driven your car or even seen it race so only you would know!!!!

All though I have seen many parts of it that most will never see. Even left a signature in a very inconspicuous location. Did you find it yet?

Reaction
Great info guys thank you! Alot of the suspension parts I can build at my shop and the motor. How do you think a car like that would hold up against other 12 cars if done right?

Fourstroker

Reaction
Great info guys thank you! Alot of the suspension parts I can build at my shop and the motor. How do you think a car like that would hold up against other 12 cars if done right?

It will hold up fine if done right. I would recheck the gusseted areas and any braces. A heavier car and slightly faster top speed will make that even more important. Good luck with your build!

ACME

Reaction
Paul Keller did this with his 122" Mirage single seater and it is VERY competitive but then Pk is a great driver... He went with a 6" wider beam, 4" arms, discs, magnum rack and 2.5 coilovers up front. Rear: 3x3 arms w/microstubs, discs 300M axles, 2.0 coilover/bypass and had his fabricator do a beefy double sheared pivot off the torsion housing that goes to a custom heim/spring plate mount that bolts to the arm; no off the shelf crap. Bus box and motor combo put the car in the 90 mph area and the added wheelbase makes up for the slightly narrow width. Cost I am told was way north of the $6-8K range...

TauMau

Reaction
Hey Jeff is this Paul Kellers' Mirage?

Regardless I know that car did start out as a 1600 Mirage and was converted...it's extremely competitive and was running right up front with Folts and their gold plated class 12...AND that was last years' MORE Oraf 500 when Folts overall'd with the c12.