12" for under $100

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
My 84 yota was in need of springs. I am a tightwad, so I heard of a 1/2 ton chevy leaf swap. Researched a little and dis covered that the chevy 1/2 to leafs are 64" long. Removed the overload leaf. Made new front and rear mounts and shackles. The result is 12" plus of rear travel. May not seem like much of and improvement but they work well. Soft yet hold weight well.

more info here:
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/chevyswap/>http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/chevyswap/</A>

Leafs $50
Mounts and shackles/ had material lying around
$15 in bolts

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Fab by travolta</font color=yellow>

Attachments

• 6-18864-REAR01.JPG
    6-18864-REAR01.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 190

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
Re: 12\" for under $100

veiw of tape.

Attachments

• 6-18866-LEAF12.JPG
    6-18866-LEAF12.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 134

Tyson

Reaction

Right on Pat. But hey are you sure you mean 64" and not 54" cause they look short to me, but it could just be my resolution. But right on, good work man.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
thats on jacks. Ride height is only about an inch higher than normal

geoff

Reaction

how much do the stock leaves travel?

it seems if you made a much longer shackle and went through the frame and read all the arguments that guys who know what they're doing talk about, you could have gained a bitmore than jsut 12" of travel... just an idea. that shackle looks awfully tiny

Mathmatics is the language of nature.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction

I think they only cycle 8" maybe 10" old leafs were trash. For now the shackle is fine for me. Longer would have given more droop. The truck is presently a daily driver/work truck and did i not have time to pull the bed to make major mods. Have another work truck on the way. Will be playing around with a longer above the frame shackle later. Just trying to get most bang for the buck.

<font color=yellow>Self appointed King of ghetto fab</font color=yellow>

geoff

Reaction

thats really cool, im excited to see how well it works out for you with the longer shackle and the proper mounting point. i wonder what "erik deaver" has to say about this?

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction

1st, good job Pat.

While we are on the subject of shackles and rear suspension, here is a few pics of my new Deaver/SAW setup.

jnie

Attachments

• 6-18915-shack.JPG
    6-18915-shack.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 305

BlaZair

Reaction
Bitchin Pat! (for a tightwad)

Is the pin that holds the leaf pack together centered along the lenght of the spring, or is it biased fore or aft and how much? How wide are the Chevy leafs?

See ya at the races!

drtdevil93

Reaction

the longer shackle only gives more travel if the sprign needs it. its like putting 92 octane in a stock pinto. and you could potentially break a spring with too long of a shackle, as it can cause the spring to have too much negative arch at bump. his looks about the right size for that spring.

geoff- maybe wrong, but that kinda looked like a shot at me. if so, let me clear something up. my last truck was about as ghetto backyard as it gets. i had no money, but HAD to have an offroad truck. however, i was not nearly as good as a lot of the guys ive seen in here at the backyard stuff. my stuff truly didnt work, and looked like crap. but, i looked into things when they didnt work, and learned from them. when i see trucks like pats, i say to myself "hell yeah." they did a lot better than i could when i was on a tight budget. now i have a little spending money, and am able to devote the majority of my money to my truck and make things look good and work awesome. i dont think everybody has to go to deaver for their truck to be "cool". i take pride in my work and i think the springs we make are the best there are. but i also realize that not everyone can afford 600 bucks for us to build them a spring, and not everyone needs a spring like ours. its an expensive hobby and i completely realize there are lots of steps between stock and race trucks.

to answer geoff's question: pat, it looks bitchin. maybe now you can win the next jump contest, huh?

erik

gary

Reaction

how long are your shackles, eye to eye, if i might ask.....that cage looks great, and i hope you don't mind me trying to copy it, when i make mine....

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
The leaf has a center pin, not offset. Leafs are a hair under 3" wide. Used stock U-bolt plate. The leafs have only a 7" arc. 62" long relaxed (droop) 64" flat (full bump).

More info on this swap here:
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/chevyswap/>http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/chevyswap/</A>

When bottomed, the leaf is flat and the axle hits the rubber stop so there is no chance of negitive arc. I have asked around and read posts on this site considering shackle mounting points. Mounting on top of the frame with a long shackle will not be of much help with a leaf that only has a 7" arc. So it only will droop so far. The rear eye moves in linear motion forward and backward about 2" plus. So even if the shackle was 3 feet long the leaf will only return to about a 7" arc and the shackle stops moving. Not trying to say I am a leaf spring savant. But I did spend time mocking and cycling several differant mounting points and lenghts of shackles and a 5 1/2" shackle mounted directly behind the stock location worked best.

<font color=yellow>Self appointed King of ghetto fab</font color=yellow>

geoff

Reaction

noooooooooooooooooo not at all a shot at you!!! i am totally retarded when it comes to this stuff and i have the *utmost* respect for all of you guys on here that know your stuff. I apologize if this seemed anythign else.

if i can get some money away from my racecar and put it towards the truck, a set of deavers is exactly where the money is going. you have answered many of my questions i had erik in the past, and i appreciate the time youve put in. I have been thinking a lot about leaf spring stuff lately and reading up in some of my chassis books on leaf springs just to follow your guys' posts.

thanks for educating me, erik.