img3360small5rk.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 191
  • img3359small1hs.jpg
    img3359small1hs.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 225

jowoog

Reaction
thanks matt,
i read the whole thing and some pics help. 15 pages long , would make a good movie, has everything, .

ESB4130

Reaction
Website
www.ESBFAB.COM
there is alot on my website www.esbfabrications.com , and a ton more will be put up as i organize more pics for the next site update.

i still havent gotten a chance to see this issue at all, even on DR they posted some pics but none of the parts with dans truck, and i havent seen it in any stores lately.

as for the 1400/1450 class split, the basic idea we came up with, is that any first-timer can race 1450. after that, if the driver seems to be too far out of his league then they will be bumped to 1450. like we said, we sat through hours and hours in person and months and months of talking online and through phone, and no solid rule could be come up with that would be fair to all that wanted to race 1450 and keep out the SUPER fast guys at the same time. right now there is only a handfull of trucks that are seeming to outgrow the class, and i dont think its that big of an issue.

elcaprerunner

Reaction
What happened to spliting the classes based on rear suspensions? Just wondering, but I do like the idea that a driver has to move up once they have become too fast for the class that they are in. Will the drivers need to be voted on to be moved into the more advanced class? Or will it be based on number of wins/top finishes and/or a championship in the class?

WFODAN

Reaction
Website
www.chaosfab.com
The class was never going to be split on rear suspension . That was decided against from the beggining . The idea of splitting the class on drivers skill is a better overall idea . There have been many ideas thrown out as to how to decide who should race where , but in the end it is the drivers responsability to race in the class that suites him best . We are going to form some sort of commitee of 1450 racers to help decide which class a truck should race in , along with future plans for both 1400 and 1450 . Although , as I said , the ultimate decision is the driver himself , as we don't want to force anyone out .

More details to come as they are decided on .

got_dirt

Reaction
Website
www.teamdirtracing.com
Hello everyone.... jeeez, i must really be out of the loop. sorry to get in soo late with this, but hopefully it can serve to maybe come to some sort of reolution on this whole thing....

I read with interest the Dirt Sports mag article re: MDR?s Class 1450. And since I?m the first guy to ever enter and race it (#1401), I?d like to add my 2 cents worth.

Seems all the current problems with "class rules" began with ?street legal?.. i.e., smog legal? cant get the fuel cell Air Ref approved. Well, when that ?rule? was abandoned, then it opened the flood gates to what we have now?. NO rules. Your vehicle doesn?t even have to be registered or have a license plate, from anywhere; well, you still have to have an all steel body and doors .. frame?

Now Its just a matter of ?how FAT is your wallet and how fa$t do you want to go?. And yet, some go out and spend big $$ on custom Class 1450 trucks just to race for trophies and bragging rights. Go figure. And the only solution I see being offered from MDR, is no real solution at all.

Let?s start at the beginning. ?Class?. Notice how all the other ?classes? have rules governing suspension, engine size, etc. Well, the ?purpose? of a ?class? is to have a level playing field with comparably equipped vehicles and performance, so that racing becomes more a matter of driver skill and experience, prep, etc. Yes? Pretty simple so far.

But ?Class? 1450 is nothing more than an unlimited sportsman class now. If that?s what is wanted, then .. end of conversation. But My wallet cant afford that; I?m still running a 20 year old chassis and a 4-banger.

So, my solution is: divide up the 1450 class into ?street legal?, and ?unlimited?, categories.

For ?street legal?, retain those aspects (except for the fuel cell), and actually enforce it. Wasn?t that the original idea? So that ?street? pre-runners (beginers) could come out and compete for relative few dollars and get their feet wet; as well as for the low-budget guys?

Street legal means: windshield; wiper; brake, head and tail and running lights; license plate lamp; etc? let?s keep those. Many are running No windshield, headlight and taillight stickers, and so on.

?Street legal? might also include retaining the stock dash, gauges, and engine location. I would suggest no v-8s, or supercharged/turboed motors; limit the hp?. Maybe even limit front travel to 14 inches max with a single shock (air bumps & coil-overs ok).

Unlimited: can run without any street legal stuff, dash, etc. Any v-8 or supercharged/turboed motor is ok. Can move motor location. Unlimited front travel & # shocks? the Total Chaos & Camburg & Solo trucks ?

Keep the entry fee @ $200 for both street legal & unlimited .. but level the playing field, please.

i cant afford the extra $160 entry per race x 7 = $1120 per year to race Pro. or the 000'$ to have my truck rebult after each race. i cant afford to go out and have a custom truck made just for 'class'1450. so, let the guys with the 'unlimited' budget$ go race in an 'unlimited' class for $200.

But please provide an "equal opportunity" for the budget and beginner racers to have their fun and glory, too. MDR doesnt even give out Finisher pins ........

thanks for listening. hope this helps.

Steve Ruddick - #1451
bajaracr@verizon.net

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
Website
Visit site
you would be excluding me from the class or forcing me to run with the v-8 linked guys with your whole "street legal" idea.

the class will be broken up nicely next year. just wait...youll see. it will be good for everyone.

WFODAN

Reaction
Website
www.chaosfab.com
Steve ,

There isn't a problem in 1450 right now . We as racers have had meetings and have decided to split the class for next season . Not due to any problem , but more to give the smaller guys a chance at a win . Thanks for your input , and rest assured that your concerns have already been addressed and remedied .

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Hey Dan, any clue when the rules might be out? I'm in the process of purchasing a 5/1600 by the end of the year, but I have a 95 Tacoma 4x4 that my friend is borrowing in the meantime that I want to eventually build up for a decent prerunner, maybe I can scrap the whole 5/16 idea and build the Tacoma instead...

Stimpy

Reaction
What Exactly Makes A 1450 Truck Besides The Metal
Cab And Working Doors?

What Does Your Truck Need To Pass, So It Can Race?

Thinking Of Maybe Coming Out Next Year For Fun..

Thanks In Advance................................................stimp

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
Website
Visit site
1450 is as follows.....

1. must pass tech just like all other classes. im talking safety stuff.

2. "supposed" to have a green sticker or street reg.

3. factory steel cab

4. functioning doors

all else is unlimited, any width, wheelbase, wheel travel, full size, mini, V-8, 4cyl, V-12, turbo, blower, NOS, whatever you got.

simple as that.

Stimpy

Reaction
Cool Thanks For Teh Info And The Quick Responce!.......stimp

Uncle_Bob

Reaction
I still have a problem with the compressed gases like NOS. It's to dangerious if something happens to the truck and it catchs on fire.

got_dirt

Reaction
Website
www.teamdirtracing.com
welll .. how comforting to know that something wOndERful is going to happen...just "what", i dont know? because i was never invited or told about any "we as racers ...have decided" meetings.

All that I posted was just a suggestion .. "my" proposed 'solution', but open for comments... i been waiting 8+ years now for some "Class" 1450 rules = NO rules.

the way things are now, I'M being 'excluded' from any chance of being competitive or winning at all (along with a lot of other racers) ... so what class do you suggest that i cAn afford and stil be competitive? so where are these new 'rules' btw???

Like i said, i'm just looking for an equal opportunity and a level playing field. thanks for your responses.

mattrick8888

Reaction
got_dirt said:
the way things are now, I'M being 'excluded' from any chance of being competitive or winning at all (along with a lot of other racers) ... so what class do you suggest that i cAn afford and stil be competitive? so where are these new 'rules' btw???

Like i said, i'm just looking for an equal opportunity and a level playing field. thanks for your responses.

if you arent racing then youre excluding yourself. next year 1450 will be the class for you. all the faster trucks will be moving to 1400.

got_dirt

Reaction
Website
www.teamdirtracing.com
'if you arent racing then youre excluding yourself.?' hUh!

i'm the first guy to ever enter and race 1400(#1401)/1450(#1451) @ MDR. and i've been racing every year since.

next year ... dont worry... something wonderful... what, already?! can't anyone just state what the new "rules" are?

1450-ranger

Reaction
Website
www.giantmotorsports.com
The new 1400/1450 is a gentlemen's agreement. If you want to race in a super competitive class and you have the truck/racing effort to do it, you race 1400. If you are new / not as competitive / dont care and just want to have fun, then 1450 is still the best bet.

Ruddick, how was taco night? Im assuming that was your jeep ?