1450 truck cage design

MrMatson

Reaction
I drew up a cage in for my 93 Toyota pickup the other day and as I really don't know what I'm doing I'm looking for some input on how to make it race legal and functional. I'm planning on making most if not all of this out of DOM 1.75"OD x .12"wall tube, mostly to keep cost down, as I'm a poor college student.
Here's some pics of the solidworks model I've got going.

kdm73091

Reaction
looks prety good but i would put a couple more vertical tubes, and deffinately some across the frame. but otherwise it looks good

Ant92ford

Reaction
If this is going to be a dd your door design should be just fine. If you are planning on this being a race truck I would most definitely change up the design with a straight brace between the pillars, similar to Mattd's pic.

good luck

Wild bill

Reaction
You need to run some tubes through the center of the cab from the windshield down tubes to the "X" behind the seats in the center.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I second WildBill's suggestion. . .good place to mount a console as well. . .

. . .would suggest some tubing across the very back of the frame to tie it together as well. . .good place to mount the spares and good protection from getting nerfed from behind as well. . .

. . .I would also suggest that you roughly figure out where your front shock upper mounts are gonna be as well and incorporate them into your cage design. . .right now it looks like you have a place to mount the upper shocks, but it looks to be a little far back. . .

. . .other than that looks to be a good starting point!