14bolt axles

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Do the 14 bolt axles come in 6 lug? What year trucks would I look for at junkyards to get this axle for my 98 chevy fullsize (POS). Are they hard to find?

K5Blazer

Reaction
Yes, they do come in 6 Lug but they are not the full floater one ton rear ends. I have one in my blazer and I know you can find them in Z71's, some 3/4 ton vans, light duty 6 lug 3/4 tons and they even have a 5 lug version in the 454 SS pickups. Hope that helps, I was also comparing them to my stock 10 bolt and they are a lot beafier than the stock rear end I had, I think I will have a hard time breaking this one.

Ryno

Reaction
When you call around to yards...tell them you are looking for a 14 bolt, 9.5" rear. It came in HD 1/2 tons, and LD 3/4 ton 2wd. I saw one last week for $400. Best part is, they are a full bolt in replacement. Call Rancho Chevy Recycling in Rancho Cordova if you can't find one in so cal. For the 1/2 tons...look for a Z71 with the tow package, about 75% of the trucks with that option have them.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Ryno

Reaction
What will bolt straight up to the truck will be anywhere from 88-99. I'm sure you will find one someplace. If not, there is always Rancho Chevy Recycling in Rancho Cordova.

Ryno

rdc

Reaction
There is a 9 1/2" 14 bolt and a 10 1/2" 14 bolt. I heard it is better to get the 10 1/2" 14bolt axle. They are not at all the same as eacother. But do the 10 1/2" 14 bolts only come in 8 lug? Are they the 1 ton axles?

Ryno

Reaction
the 10.5" 14 bolt rear is a 1 ton rear end. They only come in 8 lug. There was a differential shop in the IE doing 6 lug conversions for about 3k. If you seriously beat your truck, find a dana 60 from a junkyard, then put 6 lug axles in it. Those things are unbreakable. Only other thing I would recommend would be a 9" ford rear.

Ryno

rdc

Reaction
I looked into it and the 14 bolt 10 1/2 (FF) is way overkill. Im not trying to attach a anchor to my truck. They make a 9 1/2" 14 bolt with 6 lug which I might go look for. What about the 12 bolts are those much beefier than the 10 bolts?

Ryno

Reaction
Why not go for the 9.5" 14 bolt?? It bolts directly into the truck. No changing anything. Just swapping brakelines, and new u bolts. That's it!! It can't get much easier. You can even re-use your driveshaft, and the u joint is like $7!! =)

Ryno

rdc

Reaction
I was just curious about the 12 bolt. For the 14 bolt am i going to be using the drum brakes off it??? Is it hard to find things for the 14 bolt 9.5" rear?

Its going in a 1998 chevy 1500 4x4 with 35" tires and about 290 hp at the flywheel and about 350 ft/lbs of torque.

Ryno

Reaction
I'd be more concerned about the transmission than the rear. The 14 bolt 9.5" will hold up no prob. Parts are plentiful, as they are a current part. About 30% of the 1/2 ton trucks have them. ALL 2wd 3/4 trucks have them.

Ryno

bajaruner11

Reaction
Ok, a Little FYI on the 10 1/2" 14 bolt. It has full floating hubs, large axles, large ring, and pinion, power- trax makes a serious locker for it for under $300, self supporting removable pinion just like the 9" with massive bearings, and for around $300 more dollars ($550 if you want to add a parking brake) you can put a disc brake kit on it that takes 70 lbs. off it's total weight! The only down side is the eight lug hubs if you already have rims. The problem with using Dana 60's, GM 12 bolts, GM 9 1/2" 14 bolts, etc is that they use semi floating axles with c-clips, If you break a axle your done, and take a chance of crashing your truck, and you can't even use a tow strap to get the truck back home, or to camp. With the full floating hub you would have to over twist the axle to break it and even if you did the truck will still be on 4 tires and moveable, usually drivable. Just my 2 cents.

Stan

Reaction
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

The problem with using Dana 60's,

<hr></blockquote>

Dana 60s, for the most part are full floaters, the semi floaters are rare.

I'm not here, nor was I here, nor will I ever be here.

K5Blazer

Reaction
Don't forget that a Detroit Locker is available for the 10.5" 14 Bolt for around $320, but you have to have an open carrier.

blind655

Reaction
Re: blown 10 bolt

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/chevyprerunner1500/vwp?.dir=/My+Photos&.dnm=P1010006.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t>http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/chevyprerunner1500/vwp?.dir=/My+Photos&.dnm=P1010006.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t</A> ... haha great pic

A suburban might not be as good as a truck, but it comes damn close with 8 people in it

ntsqd

Reaction
Has this thread been moved from another bbs ? Sure seems like it.

IMHO the full floater 14b is not needed for dezert use. They are extremely heavy. The tube wall thickness just inboard of the brake flange is over 1/2". At the housing end of the tube it tapers down to somewhere btwn 1/4" & 3/8"
It does have a place in your dezert machine's tow rig.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.