14YO's 1971 F-250 LWB build

Steven_Tolbert

Reaction
Go out side and look at your brother's Bronco, there should be 1 shock mounted off the front of the beam and 1 shock mounted off of the radius arm. Every beam that I have seen done run the shock off of the front beam. Just put the bypass up front off of the beam and the coil over off of the radious arm mount.
Look Giants and Threats sites

1971Ford

Reaction
I thought about that but didn't know what it would be like running just the coilover mounted to the radius arm (until i get bypasses). I might run short on room with 16" coilovers if i mount them to the radius arms. They are racerunnres so they do run shorter than usual. Might work.

As for bumping at 90deg. does it have to be dead on 90deg to radius arm and beam and do i need to buy an angle finder or do you just eye ball it so it's 90deg. to both. I would think eye balling it would be ok being that I have seen many trucks that don't bump out at 90deg. but that doesn't make it right i suppose.

Steven_Tolbert

Reaction
I would say to try and mount the coil over as close to where the beam and radious arm meet. Use both of your coil overs to mock up both mounts to see how far they will need to be from eachother. How much is an angle finder like $20, I would get one. I may be wrong but I believe that it needs to be at 90 degrees at full bump in relation to Beam pivot to wheel to radious arm pivot. Using the angle finder is going that extra mile to make it right. I am looking forward to seeing progress on this. I have had my F150 "project" since I was 19 and now I am 25 and I have not even really started on my truck, put it up for sale like twice before. I am kinda living vicariously through you and your build

1971Ford

Reaction
First off. The tires. While driving the last race in the truck I couldn't go over 40 or I had no control at all because of the bald 35's. Now I have 4 good 35's, excited to have traction.

Cleaned and painted firewall and some frame sections
Mocked up fender and grill. Can't wait to hang it all.

A LOT of weight

I'll be hanging these bad boys soon

Empty carcass

Pulled the cell. I need to complete disassemble and "restore" it. It's all banged up, paint is falling off, and there must be abunch of water between the bladder and case because it drips water like a mofo

Spent LOTS of time with a 4.5" grinder and a plasma cutter. Spent about 4 hours non-stop on thursday then 6 hours non stop today (friday)

HUUUGGGEEEEEEE Thanks, once again, to squirelmurphy!!!!!!!
(he donated the autofab beam mounts, so excited about them!!!) Very happy to have them and they look amazing on the truck, and they will widen the track width 2" which is absolutely perfect... I can still tuck my tires in the autofab fenders (might have to trim a little, we will see)
So I stripped the frame with a wire wheel, then a flap wheel, then painted, then tacked the new beam mounts in place. I don't know if i am going to weld or bolt them on. Probably weld. The bolt holes are about 1/8" off for some reason, and I still would need to drill several holes on both. I don't see them ever coming off in the future so why not weld, right? Any reason not to?

RAWR I eatz you

1971Ford

Reaction
My dad?
Or my dog?

:D

My dad helps out once in a while, he separated the engine and transmission and helped pull them out. All the work on the truck right now is during my 2 weeks off school and I'm working on it non stop, while dad's at work.

My dog has retired from being co-driver a couple years ago haha

1971Ford

Reaction
Just bought these 4" 2.0 SAW bumps
No more neck breaking landings

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I thought about that but didn't know what it would be like running just the coilover mounted to the radius arm (until i get bypasses). I might run short on room with 16" coilovers if i mount them to the radius arms. They are racerunnres so they do run shorter than usual. Might work.

As for bumping at 90deg. does it have to be dead on 90deg to radius arm and beam and do i need to buy an angle finder or do you just eye ball it so it's 90deg. to both. I would think eye balling it would be ok being that I have seen many trucks that don't bump out at 90deg. but that doesn't make it right i suppose.
I would get the angle finder if for no other reason than to just make sure that both sides are exactly the same.

Looking good. . .keep up the good work!!!

1971Ford

Reaction
definitely getting an angle finder.

Thanks!

Hung the bedsides. Kinda. Basically I had my brother Hold the bedside as I slipped a piece of tubing into the rear shock mounts and welded it to the shock mount and bedside to hold it. Welded the front tabs back together as well. This is all just to hold the bedsides as I build mounts. I have 3 mounts done. 7 or so to go.

Mocked up front end to where it was originally. Planning engine cage. I got the DOM 1.75 today and the JD2 bender is setup. I'll probably start the engine cage tomorrow.

Couldn't help myself but to mock up the shocks.

Wild bill

Reaction
Can't really tell by the pic, but make sure you leave 1" or so of clearance around the motor cage to be able to remove the motor.

Ryan B

Reaction
are you going to get threaded weld in bungs that match your hood pins, and put the bungs in the vertical tubes in the front of your engine cage?

1971Ford

Reaction
Wild Bill -
It's a FORD, no reason to ever need to pull the engine.
But yes there is plenty of room to pull the engine, simply just going to have to unbolt the radiator and slide it out (slides right out upwards) and pull the engine through the big open area that leaves several inches all around.
I'm going to have to drop the truck onto its frame or something to pull the engine though. our cherry picker doesn't go that high. Kind of a pain that the transmission has to go in through the front too but no big deal.

Today i was going to mount the fab the coilover mounts and get them in and have the truck rolling on the coilovers but then I talked to my dad and he said that the truck being in the garage isn't that big of a deal and it can stay there for another 3 months while I'm building it if need be... there fore I am going to do it right the first time and tear everything down and do it at once.
Meaning I will be doing whatever i do with the front end (J-beams or new beams/radius arms), building dual swinger crossover steering, and mounting coilovers at the same time.

Today I pulled the PS box, stock steering, and steering column. Also added to the engine cage and threw some paint on for now.

attach my hood to this and I have a "one piece clip" haha

Finally got the new welder set to the sweet spot. Pretty happy with all the welds on the engine cage. Now I need to cut out some of the dash so I can weld the tops of the tube junctions.

1971Ford

Reaction
are you going to get threaded weld in bungs that match your hood pins, and put the bungs in the vertical tubes in the front of your engine cage?
I was planning on having tabs come off the engine cage for the hood pins but that's a pretty darn good way to fill in that hole. I was just going to weld a 1.5" circle on there.

Scott_F

Reaction
If you want to save a few bucks, just weld a nut to the bottom side of a drilled cap.

Haycock

Reaction
are you afraid of everything rusting before you finish it? you may want to hold off on the paint till its done, unless you really like cleaning paint off to weld.

Devin J

Reaction
Your build is very cool! I love your drive and enthusiasm! I'm sure it reminds all of us of our youth!
Is the cat still helping with the pics? There are so many pics on here with a dog or a cat that's hanging out on or around the rig when the pic is taken. It makes me laugh everytime!
Keep up the good work!

1971Ford

Reaction
Had a change of plans, instead of mounting the coilovers now I decided to figure out what i am doing with the radius arms/i-beams and do those first, then coilover mounting, crossover steering, etc.

If you want to save a few bucks, just weld a nut to the bottom side of a drilled cap.
that's probably what I'll do, we'll see when I get there. I won't be mounting the front clip for a couple months probably.

are you afraid of everything rusting before you finish it? you may want to hold off on the paint till its done, unless you really like cleaning paint off to weld.
well the bender studs in the cement are in the garage so the truck can't be in the garage when we are bending tube so it has to be rolled into the rain so I just sprayed some paint on the welds then got carried away haha.
I know I'll have to get the paint off before i add the up rights and shock mounts but that is 1 minute with my 4.5" grinder and wire wheel.
And yeah with the change of plans the truck can't be "rolled" anymore so now I'll have to push the truck back further into the garage until it hits the wall and use the bender like so.

Your build is very cool! I love your drive and enthusiasm! I'm sure it reminds all of us of our youth!
Is the cat still helping with the pics? There are so many pics on here with a dog or a cat that's hanging out on or around the rig when the pic is taken. It makes me laugh everytime!
Keep up the good work!
Thanks! yeah I dont know where those darn cats are in the last update they should of been helping. slackers...

Steven_Tolbert

Reaction
Get some WD-40, if you have a cherry picker and a good strong strap or chain, you can still roll the truck in and out

1971Ford

Reaction
yeah the cherry picker is how i planned on rolling it in/out if i need to.