14YO's 1971 F-250 LWB build

wyoming4x4

Reaction
Nice rig to bring to life. just like this old iron and it always catches my eye. Takes me to my happy place. Nice work and will be checkin in on your project. lost in wyoming and lovin it. keepin old iron alive one ford at a time. doing a 1970 ford crewcab 4wd as we speak and will be doing a race truck theme that can haul my gear. nice work young man!!

wyoming4x4

Reaction
Well I ended up reading this whole adventure and lesson of this young man. This would be one heck of a resume if he wanted to show it to somebody. To me this story is about a young man who spent time with his father and family and during this lesson a race truck was built. This is a very lucky young man to have the family he does. My dad didn't understand the truck thing and never will. I'm older now and I still mess with these trucks and I do it alone usually. One heck of a story and see how he began and see his skills progress. Like another said might be another gordon in the making. Glad I took the time to read and feel privileged to have read and seen how this story is happening and still not done. To be continued?

1971Ford

Reaction
Thanks! I think it will be cool to look back and reading this whole thread when i'm much older.... i'll have to save copies of everything sometime so it never gets lost. Put the whole build on a CD. Might be fun to look at again

So close to completion of #871 2.0, yet so far...

Took apart the back half of the truck and broke down a few piece of the cage and fully welded everything, then threw things back on. Can't even afford to rattle can the cage right now.
Then I moved on and welded everything else that needed to be welded, as my dad mounted the transmission coolers/fans and started re-wiring the whole truck (we're ditching the stock disaster of a wiring harness).
Then I did the brake lines, and Russel Anderson took care of tightening things up all around the truck.
I also ran the fuel line and got that squared away, and took the carb off my '69 4x4 and put it back on the race truck and started hooking that up.

The truck should fire right up, right now. But we can't, because there are no transmission lines right now. I am dying to hear the 429 thunder again...

Also finished welding in all harness tabs, and raised shoulder harness tabs.

Just finished welding everything

Back together, again. Needs to come apart one last time for paint though.

Need some legit clips

Top coilover plates welded in, carb installed

We have ignition...

Dad and Russell

me getting rad

Started on tow vehicle's hitch

wyoming4x4

Reaction
That is a very productive cat. like the new cage. I'm working my 1970 crewcab. getting ready to blast cab. Then will be building a mild cage and your giving me ideas for mine. Mine isn't as extreme situation like yours. Question on carb? Are you looking to upgrade? I know in your paticular racing application have you considered a bigger carb like 650cfm to 750 cfm range. Also another possible thing to check into is different type carb setups. like 1 to 1 linkage meaning it runs like fuel injection on the throttle response. what are your normal rpms with this truck? Many little tricks you can do work in a off road environment. many little tricks that are easy to do at home and fairly cheap to get the most out of what you have. I understand your budget situations. been their done that. looks good and the cat seems to approve of your latest work!

wyoming4x4

Reaction
Would definetly save this little chapter in your life. These are the moments that you will hang on to when you get old and talk about the most. They call it back in the day when I was rookie? Used to race mudd trucks and never documented any of it. I now only have one truck and its the one in my avatar. Its my wyoming huntin rig. The first truck will always be stuck in your head forever!

chace

Reaction
seat belt tabs might could use a tab. just my opinion. The pic of you welding on ur back made me laugh. reminded me of when i was doing the same and caught my shirt on fire and dropped the mig gun on my leg with a nice 1" long molten piece of wire that left a hole that u could stick pencil lead in. was a cool party trick for a few months.

Matt D

Boy Toy
Reaction
seat belt tabs might could use a tab. just my opinion. The pic of you welding on ur back made me laugh. reminded me of when i was doing the same and caught my shirt on fire and dropped the mig gun on my leg with a nice 1" long molten piece of wire that left a hole that u could stick pencil lead in. was a cool party trick for a few months.
haha Im right there with you on that one, I have a few good scars from it hah

Wild bill

Reaction
Just a thought on your carb. You probably would want to extend the bowl vent/overflow with a piece of fuel line. Just slide it over the vent and then cut a slot in the tubing at the other end. The end with the slot slips over the air cleaner rod that threads into the carb. This would extend the vent/over flow about 3" higher. Sure helps keep the carb from flooding when you get in the rough stuff.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Been there and done that as well. . .caught my helmet and neck protector on fire once doing overhead, girlfiend melted her sweatpants (that she shouldn't have been wearing to weld in in the first place) once and she also dropped some molten slag on her flip-flopped feet once as well. . .

. . .great thread and definitely hang on to it!!! I can't wait to finish up my line of current projects so that I can start on an extended cab '79 F-150.

1971Ford

Reaction
Good to see the cat is still keeping the dream alive!
Of course!
That is a very productive cat. like the new cage. I'm working my 1970 crewcab. getting ready to blast cab. Then will be building a mild cage and your giving me ideas for mine. Mine isn't as extreme situation like yours. Question on carb? Are you looking to upgrade? I know in your paticular racing application have you considered a bigger carb like 650cfm to 750 cfm range. Also another possible thing to check into is different type carb setups. like 1 to 1 linkage meaning it runs like fuel injection on the throttle response. what are your normal rpms with this truck? Many little tricks you can do work in a off road environment. many little tricks that are easy to do at home and fairly cheap to get the most out of what you have. I understand your budget situations. been their done that. looks good and the cat seems to approve of your latest work!
Sounds like an awesome build, love the crewcabs. The carb is a Holley 500 4v and that was actually recommended to us by a couple racers and the carb was donated to the build. It does fantastic, I don't know much about carbs and forget the reasoning behind running a 2v (dad probably knows). I had a edelbrock 750 on it and didn't like it. More of a holley guy and the edelbrock was too much for a fairly stock 429. Hard to say where the RPM's usually are. Before the rebuild of the truck we were going so slow because of lack of suspension that shift points weren't a concern, just shifted early and cruised, if i remember right. I don't see any point in getting it past 4,500 though.

Would definetly save this little chapter in your life. These are the moments that you will hang on to when you get old and talk about the most. They call it back in the day when I was rookie? Used to race mudd trucks and never documented any of it. I now only have one truck and its the one in my avatar. Its my wyoming huntin rig. The first truck will always be stuck in your head forever!
I really need to make a condensed 1 page summary of the build and save that. This thread is so long! I remember I posted a thread about taking my "100% stock 1971" out to the track. I'll jump the truck off the same jump and put the pictures side by side.

Not sure what you mean about the seat belt tabs? Don't you love hearing molten metal sizzle on your skin...

haha Im right there with you on that one, I have a few good scars from it hah
I think 90% of my scars are welding burns!

Just a thought on your carb. You probably would want to extend the bowl vent/overflow with a piece of fuel line. Just slide it over the vent and then cut a slot in the tubing at the other end. The end with the slot slips over the air cleaner rod that threads into the carb. This would extend the vent/over flow about 3" higher. Sure helps keep the carb from flooding when you get in the rough stuff.
Very interesting... sounds like a plan..

Been there and done that as well. . .caught my helmet and neck protector on fire once doing overhead, girlfiend melted her sweatpants (that she shouldn't have been wearing to weld in in the first place) once and she also dropped some molten slag on her flip-flopped feet once as well. . .

. . .great thread and definitely hang on to it!!! I can't wait to finish up my line of current projects so that I can start on an extended cab '79 F-150.
catching yourself on fire while welding is the best... you don't notice it until it starts getting a little hot, because it's not bright enough to be seen through the welding hood!

PDANK Racing

Reaction
Move up to a bigger carb and work on tuning. Stick with a holley, 750 double pumper is choice for a lot of guys, (vacuum advance is more wallet friendly, used ones are $50 to $75). Theres a lot power in your carb, you just gotta find it. If your into reading, there's tons of books on tuning, mods, etc., or if your hands on, you shouldn't have a problem finding someone to help you. On the bowl vent, we insert the tubing into the hole, less chance of falling out. You know when you go off a rough jump, hit gas and motor bogs, this will fix that. Keeps fuel in the bowls, instead of dumping extra gas down carb.

Did you guys upgrade the cam yet?

I think you might have motivated me to go buy a Ford. So if anything goes wrong, I'm blaming you:D

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I think 90% of my scars are welding burns!
Wait till you start machining. . .I've gotten WAY more burns and scars from hot chips (mostly stainless) flying off the lathe or the mill than I have gotten welding!!!

I think you might have motivated me to go buy a Ford. So if anything goes wrong, I'm blaming you:D
You know I've always been a GM guy, but I suddenly find myself with two Jeep projects (a '49 Jeep Willy's pick-up truck and a '94 Jeep YJ Wrangler) and two Ford projects (a '79 Ford F-150 4x4 and a '99 Ford Ranger extended cab 4x4)!!!

chace

Reaction

i think i might be a good idea reinforce these brackets u made for mounting the seat belts(i believe thats what these are). Seems like a lot of leverage on those little tubes

1971Ford

Reaction
I'll have to look into swapping the carb when we have the time/funds, the whole engine really needs to be gone through though. I've been wanting to put a cam in it but really power is not at all an issue for us right now. Many other things i think we should be focusing on.

The shoulder harness tabs seem fine to me, If we rolled and our bodies put enough force to rip those tubes (they are thicker than .120) off the 2" cage tube then we must of drove off the edge of the world. But if i get a second person giving input that they could fail then i'll re-inforce them. I really don't see them ripping off though, that would be A LOT of force for some seat belts.

wyoming4x4

Reaction
Hey on the 429 when you decide to upgrade on motor stuff. Very familiar with the big block ford. Been running them for over 20yrs now. ran everything from a 429 to a 532. now I just run a 472 with lots of goodies. Those dove heads you have can make some good power if you spend some time with them. If your running pump gas 91 octane type engine build a good 450 hrspwr to 500 on pump gas. If you have the dove block or d1ze or something close to the older blocks definetly do some cool work with. On the carb 750 should wake up that 429. Need a 1 to 1 linkage to help your performance out and jet carb differently for this application. When you get ready for some engine upgrades drop a message and do what we can with what you got.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I'll have to look into swapping the carb when we have the time/funds, the whole engine really needs to be gone through though. I've been wanting to put a cam in it but really power is not at all an issue for us right now. Many other things i think we should be focusing on.
Very smart decision. . .not that power is bad, but it is not the end all to be all. . .concentrate on your driving and suspension, once you get those down with your current power level then it's time for more power. . .rinse and repeat!

The shoulder harness tabs seem fine to me, If we rolled and our bodies put enough force to rip those tubes (they are thicker than .120) off the 2" cage tube then we must of drove off the edge of the world. But if i get a second person giving input that they could fail then i'll re-inforce them. I really don't see them ripping off though, that would be A LOT of force for some seat belts.
Just out of curiosity, why are you using tabbed shoulder belts anyway (probably because that's what you have and they were also donated is my guess)??? I have always used the ones that wrap around the shoulder harness bar. . .

1971Ford

Reaction
Hey on the 429 when you decide to upgrade on motor stuff. Very familiar with the big block ford. Been running them for over 20yrs now. ran everything from a 429 to a 532. now I just run a 472 with lots of goodies. Those dove heads you have can make some good power if you spend some time with them. If your running pump gas 91 octane type engine build a good 450 hrspwr to 500 on pump gas. If you have the dove block or d1ze or something close to the older blocks definetly do some cool work with. On the carb 750 should wake up that 429. Need a 1 to 1 linkage to help your performance out and jet carb differently for this application. When you get ready for some engine upgrades drop a message and do what we can with what you got.
Sweet! Thanks, i'll let you know when the time comes for some more HP.

Very smart decision. . .not that power is bad, but it is not the end all to be all. . .concentrate on your driving and suspension, once you get those down with your current power level then it's time for more power. . .rinse and repeat!

Just out of curiosity, why are you using tabbed shoulder belts anyway (probably because that's what you have and they were also donated is my guess)??? I have always used the ones that wrap around the shoulder harness bar. . .
Just happened to be what i ordered when I ordered the Crow harnesses a year ago, not sure why i picked them. Actaully i just remember seeing the tab or snap-hook styles available so i got the tab style because it was cheaper.

Ryan B

Reaction
hey speedbump contact vorra and send them a picture of your belt mounts before you get the seats and stuff all in. George had Povey move his lap belt mounts to the main cage tubes.

1971Ford

Reaction
Thanks for the info!
The tabs were on the main 2" tube but Nathan at Vorra told us to move them up more so the harness doesn't pull down on us so that's the reason for making those extender deals. Maybe I need to cut them off and run a 1.5" tube the length of that 2" main tube just 6" higher. 90deg bend on each side.