14YO's 1971 F-250 LWB build

Ryan B

Reaction
If youre looking for shocks call samco ryan. I think there might still be a set of 18"stroke fox triple bypasses there

samco fabrication Phone: (775) 856-4100

Heck yeah it is, the Alcan's are doin' work!
Almost to the point where I might not even bother finding 18" bypasses, may just look for 16" bypasses.

We ran in sportsman, so i was up against 4 class 10 cars and one other class-7 truck that is way too quick for me.

1st moto- 2nd from last because a wheel came off a car
2nd moto-3rd from last because two cars had issues
3rd moto-last

I'd love to know where I would have been if I had mud tires on the truck

1971Ford

Reaction
Jester- Thanks!

Ryan..
I talked to him, but there still out of my price range... I can't spend big money on this truck for a long time due to the cummins/highboy swap

1971Ford

Reaction
yeah I killed it! Well, after nearly rolling it, I destroyed the transmission and now it sits for a very long time. I was having so much fun driving that truck it kills me seeing it sitting and knowing it's going to be sitting for quite some time.

As for the race truck, It will be in new hands down in so-cal feb. 25th.

[/sad news post]

Wild bill

Reaction
You'll wish you kept the race truck. Rovers are cool, but , your race truck has too much sweat in it to even come close to what the rover is worth.

ol' blue

Reaction
haters gonna hate:D. that rover is awesome. i would be exploring everywhere with that thing. and at least you still have a cool old ford to toy with on the side.

CraigMT

Reaction
Ryan,

I have been reading your thread with pleasure today... and mentally cataloging any parts I have stashed that I can donate to your build! It was inspiring to see you do such a great low-buck build on your truck!

That being said... trading out a great truck you have poured your heart and soul into for what amounts to a mall cruiser?.... It's your choice, but don't forget all the good desert folks who supported you along the way...

If you change your mind, let me know... I'll step up and help out to keep your Class 8 alive and evolving!

Good luck!

Craig

1971Ford

Reaction
It's not an easy decision but its the practical thing to do right now. Believe me, I don't want to see it go, and i know I will miss it. It's my first truck and I put hundreds of hours of time into it. I wouldn't have been able to build the truck without all the help from you guys, and I think I helped prove you CAN build a truck on a high school budget.
I just can not afford to race it (never really could) and the races are still going up in expenses. We spent about $1k each race weekened and it hurts. It's not as fun when you know you spent several months worth of paychecks (for me) to be there to break the truck and have no money to fix it because you just dumped all your money into getting to the race. So if i kept the truck, it wouldn't be raced anymore. The local OHV park gets old real quick. I 'd have to take it out to the desert to use it which would be cool, but still it would only get used a couple times a year. I also need something reliable. I have my '69 f250 highboy Cummins as my daily driver but I take it to the mountains to run trails with my buddies and when you wheel something it's no longer reliable. Point incase - I blew the transmission up a couple weeks ago and now the highboy is just sitting because I can't afford to fix it. Daily driving the race truck is a blast but not pratical at all especially with these gas prices.
The Rover is a real nice daily driver that can also run trails and pre-run the race course. It's exactly what I need right now.

I'll build another pre-runner later in life. In the meantime I'm going to miss being surrounded by "my biggest fans' whenever I park the race truck somewhere.

The truck is going down south on Saturday where I'll be trading for the Rover so these are the last 5 days.... :(

Broncodawg

Reaction
It's not an easy decision but its the practical thing to do right now. Believe me, I don't want to see it go, and i know I will miss it. It's my first truck and I put hundreds of hours of time into it. I wouldn't have been able to build the truck without all the help from you guys, and I think I helped prove you CAN build a truck on a high school budget.
I just can not afford to race it (never really could) and the races are still going up in expenses. We spent about $1k each race weekened and it hurts. It's not as fun when you know you spent several months worth of paychecks (for me) to be there to break the truck and have no money to fix it because you just dumped all your money into getting to the race. So if i kept the truck, it wouldn't be raced anymore. The local OHV park gets old real quick. I 'd have to take it out to the desert to use it which would be cool, but still it would only get used a couple times a year. I also need something reliable. I have my '69 f250 highboy Cummins as my daily driver but I take it to the mountains to run trails with my buddies and when you wheel something it's no longer reliable. Point incase - I blew the transmission up a couple weeks ago and now the highboy is just sitting because I can't afford to fix it. Daily driving the race truck is a blast but not pratical at all especially with these gas prices.
The Rover is a real nice daily driver that can also run trails and pre-run the race course. It's exactly what I need right now.

I'll build another pre-runner later in life. In the meantime I'm going to miss being surrounded by "my biggest fans' whenever I park the race truck somewhere.

The truck is going down south on Saturday where I'll be trading for the Rover so these are the last 5 days.... :(

Well written and makes sense, unfortunately...haha! Thanks for the good times watching your progress and setbacks. Keep using your skills, take it somewhere and post it up here! We'll be watchin'!

1971Ford

Reaction
oh I won't be going anywhere!!

I'll build either an ext. cab Ranger or Ext. cab square-body f150 next. Might be a while but it'll happen. I'll keep it more daily driver friendly..

1971Ford

Reaction
Guy's name is Max, lives near LA, plans on racing it down there. I'd love to see some pictures of it shredding the desert!

The new ride.