15 Second Intervals

JMS

Reaction
I know the reasoning behind it but eventually the slower class's will be getting passed by the fast guys anyway. What happened to me and several other unfortunate racers at the MINT may have been avoided (maybe not) by increasing the interval to at least 30 seconds, at least the faster classes should be 30 seconds and then decrease the interval down to 15 for some of the slower classes. I raced the Midnight Special last year and the start was the exact same way for the first 15 miles you couldn't see your hand in front of your face, I know its off road racing and this wasnt my first race so I know how to race in the dust. I am just pretty new to the idea of 15 second intervals and think it promotes a very unsafe environment. I am in no way pointing any fingers at anyone for what happened to me, I am just curious what you guys think about the 15 second interval?

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Bean paid a pretty high price in Pinkie too..........

The race was awesome and everyone at Snore did an amazing job but I really hope they figure out a way to have at least a 30 second interval next year.......

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
Holy Crap! I guess that RM2 to RM4 was pretty crazy on the first lap. Sorry that so many got stuck, rear-ended, whatever there. Another related problem was that out on the interstate, parallel to the first 8 miles of course, there was blinding dust on the interstate -- I was driving up from the start to the Ute Exit, RM9, and the semi truckers were going 25mph with their emergency flashers on. I was afraid the state patrol was going to stop the race right there and right then. Once the start was over, the dust situation mellowed out on the highway. Hope someone from SNORE reads this for information. I don't know if a 30 second interval would have helped, maybe not, but just FYI, if SNORE did not know, there was a problem on the interstate for a while.

Other than that -- what an amazing race -- major props to SNORE for pulling this off.

BajaDale

Reaction
I think it's o.k. as long as the unlimited drivers remember that slower vehicles are ahead... I always thought it would be cool to run those races with limited classes on day 1 and unlimited classes on day 2??

JMS

Reaction
I remeber the days of 1 minute intervals, probably a bit unrealistic with how fast the big boys are going now but I think 30 secs should be the minimum unless its a short course environment like Laughlin or Bap

Bill

Carlos Danger
Reaction
we started the racers at the MORE race a couple weeks ago at 15 seconds apart and had no problems with it.I think the track and terrain have alot to do with it.

Ranch Hand

Reaction
I think it's o.k. as long as the unlimited drivers remember that slower vehicles are ahead... I always thought it would be cool to run those races with limited classes on day 1 and unlimited classes on day 2??

I totally agree, but the limited drive MUST ALSO remember that the unlimited guys are already into their 2nd lap and need to be alert and YIELD as quickly as possible. It's very frustrating to be caught behind a limited vehicle that is doing the race for the "adventure" when you are either leading or trying to catch the leader.

The problem is caused when you have a high number or entries on a lap type race. I believe it was the 05 Henderson race when the leader finished his first lap and there were still 20 or so vehicles that were waiting for the green flag.

I understand the problems running separate races, mainly very long hours for the course workers, but it sure makes for a better race for all the competitors, IMHO.

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
FYI ; SNORE has not yet gotten approval via Mother Nature to route which way the wind blows.
15 sec start times @ 273 starters =1.1375 hrs
@ 30 sec= 2.275 hrs
Do you want to finish or retreive your vechicle @ 4 in the morning?
2 Day /2 weekend format?
I want to hear it.

ProfessionalPitMan

Reaction
we started the racers at the MORE race a couple weeks ago at 15 seconds apart and had no problems with it.I think the track and terrain have alot to do with it.

Silt makes a big difference. We also had the same thing happen with 15 second intervals at MDR. Totaled our truck! I agree, 15 seconds is close together. Overall though, I am definitely not criticizing the job that SNORE did! I just would have to believe 15 second intervals helped the pile up situation a little. Not a whole lot they could do different with that many cars racing, just a tough day at a tough course.

mawtrophykart

Reaction
Landrush please!

nelson979

Reaction
what about running the course the other direction so the start is not going right into the sun. as soon as the first truck got to where they ended watering the course, after the first truck it was almost impossible to see anything.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
what about running the course the other direction so the start is not going right into the sun. as soon as the first truck got to where they ended watering the course, after the first truck it was almost impossible to see anything.

They announced at the awards after the mint that there will be no silt bed right after the start. The congestion that caused so much vehicle destruction and danger will not happen again.

I think two different days of racing would be hard on some teams and definitely hard on the sanctioning body in a race of this length and with the amount of entries they had. A 30 second gap between the cars would have been helpful but it wouldnt have stopped the problems at RM 4.

JMS

Reaction
Another option on a loop race is to start on a section that wont be raced on except for just the start, ie; a 2-5 mile stretch for the trucks to line up and start on and then the course doesnt go back to that section, this way if there is overlapping traffic the race can still flow smoothly, this would easily allow a 30 second if not a 45 second interval possible.

I am glad SNORE acknoledged the problem with the start being all silt and will try to do something about it in future races.

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
Another option on a loop race is to start on a section that wont be raced on except for just the start, ie; a 2-5 mile stretch for the trucks to line up and start on and then the course doesnt go back to that section, this way if there is overlapping traffic the race can still flow smoothly, this would easily allow a 30 second if not a 45 second interval possible.

I am glad SNORE acknoledged the problem with the start being all silt and will try to do something about it in future races.

example, parkers start....

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
The dust was just as bad or worse in the fist few miles on subsequent laps as during the first and there was far more than a 15 second gap then.

Fast Eddy

Reaction
If I remember right back when it was SCORE HDRA series and start from the speed drome it was 10 second starts. Ofcoarse there was over 500 vehicles on a 100 mile loop. You had 1 mile of asphalt then right in some rocky area before you started to pickup the softer trrain and alot of dust.

Old Buzzard

Reaction
I think the 15 second start intervals were dangerous due to the silt. I could not see the GPS it was so bad. If you slowed down to much you ran the risk of getting stuck and if you went to fast you ran the risk of hitting someone from behind. It was total chaos either way for cars starting with the 15 second interval. I totally understand why SNORE had to do this.

One solution could be to have a bypass section for faster cars lapping start traffic that merges on to the race course 5 to 10 miles after the start. That way cars starting would have time to space out prior to running into faster cars lapping the slower cars on the race course. If they are worried about slower cars finishing before dark move the start time up to 5am.

JMS

Reaction
Mike,

I've been traveling on business-what happened??

Ron

Unfortunately we got caught up in the pileup at race mile 5, just as the dust had started to settle and we were starting to be able to see, we were able to pick up some decent speed, necessary as it was about 2-3 feet deep silt, right as we got going we came into a ploom of a dust cloud and then BAM! slammed right into Lucas Hands 16 (1800) car. He was stuck behind 2 buried pro trucks and a 7200 truck, it was basically like hitting a wall. We estimated our speed at about 40 MPH. It took off the left front corner of my truck, ripped the frame where the lower arms mount right off the truck one of the rear cage bars from Lucas's car came in thru the firewall of my car missing my leg by a few inchs. I never even touched the brake pedal it happend so fast, then it was......BAM.....BAM....from behind, 2 more TrophyLites slamming into the back of our truck , I threw it into reverse and drug the truck off the course as far as possible. It also shortened Lucas's car by about a foot! Thankfully we wear D-Cells and I was only slightly sore the next day, more from the rear impact than the initial one, it was a scary deal but luckily turned out ok as all parties involved were ok other than the sound of dollar signs adding up in our heads as we assesed the damage

Attachments

• mint 31.jpg
    mint 31.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 151
  • mint 30.jpg
    mint 30.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 132
  • mint 29.jpg
    mint 29.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 127