15 X 8 or 10, Why?

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
What is the difference between running a 15X8" vs a 15x10" rim with 33"X12.5" or 35"X12.5" tires?
Advantages/Disadvantages?
I'm thinking a 15X8 will offer less back spacing options, and the tire profile will be angled toward the rim more?

Thanks in advance

It's never too late to be what you might have been....

cleartoy

Reaction
Reason to run narrower rim is to keep the load centered over the spindle where it belongs. Put rim out farther and there is more leverage on the spindle.

Thats why wider arms and i beams are such a good idea.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
the 15x10 looks bad (opinion), it will take away some of your tire height which you want in the dez...read, free suspension, puts more load on spindle and BJ.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

sirhk100

Reaction
Also, the 10 wide rim is going to be easier to knock the bead off on...

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

ntsqd

Reaction
Yes.

For a given tire width narrower rims seem to have fewer issues with bending the rim or de-beading the tire on a big hit. Go too narrow and you will loose stability. A narrower rim will crown the tire more. If you have a low HP vehicle this may be a step in the right direction. It will pull the corners of the tire down so they are less likely to bite and flip you when sliding sideways.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I run a 15x7 with 33-12.50 and air them down to 8 psi at glamis and have not had a problem losing a bead. I wouldnt go wider then 7.5 if it is on a small size truck.

Kris

Eric_M

Reaction
ive got a single cab yota, 4cyl motor. and i run a 15X8. i havnt had any probloems. but why not go wider than a 7.5" ?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
No need to is all.

Kris

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
Thanks for the info. Sounds like 15X8 is the way to go.

How do you measure the back-spacing of an existing rim mounted on a vehicle?

It's never too late to be what you might have been....

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I run 15x7 with a 35x12.5 and I air down to 8 also and have never lost a bead (knock on wood)...The narrower rim also helps protect the rim with the tire taking most of the impact from rocks etc...

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

Bryan_D

Reaction
I too have a 15x7 with a 33x12.5 tire. Hey if I switch to a 10.5 will the 15x7 still work or should I go to a 15x6? Or do they even make them in an american racing wheel. And is it worth the money.

slimjim

Reaction
i think another good reason for the narrower rim is that the rim is less likely to get dinged or dented from a rock (or curb). the rim is protected by the tire more. i also agree that it looks better. i use 33x12.5x15 on a 7 inch wide rim. i haven't any problems with that combo.

put on your seatbelt...

redline

Reaction
i run a 17x8 wheel with 37s and have no problem. i would recomend a backspacing of max 4.75". Brian you will be fine keeping your wheels if you switch to 33x10s. do you still have that flowmaster on yours?

singlehanded

Reaction
Wish I could say the same 15x7 on my truck and 33 12.5 mudds and lost a bead on one tire in glamis first trip this year was aired down to like 10 psi! it sucked...

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight