• Forum membership has its advantages....

1505 involved in fatality at the 500...

kevin bedrock graves

what a surprise-not! I hope we're learning a lesson here.get out while you still can,mexico is becoming a big problem as i see it. I'm vacationing in the usa.:mad:

bajabird

That "rag" the "gringo gazette" has always been shet! They will print anything from anyone without checking any story out. I for one am going to write the a-hoel who wrote the misleading bs.

steveG

First off, What a poorly written piece of crap article. It was all over the place.

Secondly, Was someone from 1505 really taken to jail!?

Vtr_Racing

That booby trap looks like the one that was dug in the sandy wash out of Erindira. There was a bunch of kids there when I went through with shovels. It was a big hole.

Surf_2_Dirt

Thank you very much Sandman for your outlook and attitude towards this incident. You and your group (Hoolies) have really looked at this as what it was. A terrible terrible accident. For that Thank You!!!

As for the Gringo Gazette, this article is 100% untrue. I repeat false. I can assure everyone the driver is in the USA and not in a Mexican jail. Nor was he ever!!!

[email protected]@n

We just heard the same from the co-dog's girlfriend. Thank you. I was really getting upset at this.... I was thinking border raid in a bunch of TTs!

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Be very skeptical of what the media prints or broadcasts. It has turned from a NEWS organazation into an entertainment outlet. They will strech the truth inorder to get ratings. Really sad, I miss the days when you heard it on the news it was the facts as they knew at the time and they would actually correct them when they were wrong.

The other sad part is people actually believe these stories as fact without using thier brains to think whether the story is feasable.

I stopped watching the "News" when they got rid of the reporters and hired personalities.

djhspawn

Be very skeptical of what the media prints or broadcasts. It has turned from a NEWS organazation into an entertainment outlet. They will strech the truth inorder to get ratings. Really sad, I miss the days when you heard it on the news it was the facts as they knew at the time and they would actually correct them when they were wrong.

The other sad part is people actually believe these stories as fact without using thier brains to think whether the story is feasable.

I stopped watching the "News" when they got rid of the reporters and hired personalities.
I don't trust any news anymore the proceeds for follows news on American idol or Paris Hilton updates.

mrmatt

It is amazing what qualifies as "news" most of the time.

mr matt

summerinmaine

I contacted the author of the piece, and have actually received two replies. I quote them below verbatim:

Jim, thank you for your comments. You wrote,

"Comments:

Are you aware that your report and article stating that the driver of 1505 in the Baja 500 was jailed is being vehemently contested on the internet?

People who know the driver, the race team, and the Lakken family are claiming that your report is a pile of BS.

Have you checked the "facts" that you are reporting, or are you simply passing along unverified rumors?

Your credibility is at stake if the rumors are proven untrue."

The comments regarding the Baja 500 fatality you refer to were added by my editor, Nancy Conroy, gathered from verified duplicate source accounts reported down here in the Ensenada local Mexican newspapers. I did nor write the additions she included in my article. Please e-mail her with any accurate corrections and your sources at the below e-mail address...

[email protected]

If you are only passing along internet rumors that you read as hearsay, that is truly not enough for you to have grounds for challenging our article. If you have a contact e-mail for the surviving family we would be happy to set the record straight and publish their side of this sad story about merely a good Samaritan on the race track. You write, "if our rumors are proven untrue" tells me you really don't know either what the truth is at the root of this story. Please enlighten us, and give us the contact information we need to spread light on this story. And please forward this to the family of the parties involved so we can write an article in the next gringo Gazette Gazette that corrects what you contend is in error.
Thank you for your continued support and for sharing our Northern Baja California newspaper the Gringo Gazette and my website, True Traveler.com!

--
A new page entitled May/June 2007 Newsletter has been created on the True Traveler Publishing website. Past newsletters are archived as new newsletters are added. Please bookmark our site and visit often for new editions of The 90 Day Yacht Club Internet Newsletter.

Have a great day.
Captain Lonnie Ryan
Author of The 90 Day Yacht Club Guide to Ensenada
And The Land and Sea Guide to Ensenada
True Traveler Publishing
A Division of Sitka Sails Incorporated
e-mail 1; [email protected]
e-mail 2; [email protected]
http://www.truetraveler.com/

~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~
and then:

Jim, just added this to my story on my website... any more concrete information you can supply me for accuracy? You seem to be a self proclaimed wealth of knowledge about the inside story regarding this man's unfortunate death.

NEW NEWS! - Currently there are rumors being floated on the internet that this whole story about the man who drove the truck being jailed is a farce. That means all the accounts written in the local Ensenada papers are inaccurate. It was last reported here in the Ensenada rags that the wife of Mr. Lokken has pardoned that good Samaritan driver and he is now eligible for bail here in México. If he is indeed eligible for bail, does not that mean he was at some time in the local jail as a result of this incident? More to come about this evolving story!!!

--
A new page entitled May/June 2007 Newsletter has been created on the True Traveler Publishing website. Past newsletters are archived as new newsletters are added. Please bookmark our site and visit often for new editions of The 90 Day Yacht Club Internet Newsletter.

Have a great day.
Captain Lonnie Ryan
Author of The 90 Day Yacht Club Guide to Ensenada
And The Land and Sea Guide to Ensenada
True Traveler Publishing
A Division of Sitka Sails Incorporated
e-mail 1; [email protected]
e-mail 2; [email protected]
http://www.truetraveler.com/

~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~
I have responded back and directed the author to this thread, so that he can verify the information provided, and determine whether his reportage meets appropriate standards of fairness and accuracy.

My response to the author was as follows:

Lonnie,

I don't profess to have any personal "wealth of knowledge" about Mr. Lokken's death, or the facts around any alleged detention of the driver of 1505. I was simply passing along the existance of the controversy, and the critique currently being issued about your factual reporting, in the hopes that you cared whether there were factual errors in your report.. I'm glad to see that you take this seriously, and hope that you will have the ability to correspond directly with those folks having personal knowledge. My source of information is the Race Dezert website, and more specifically this thread:

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?p=298664#post298664

Frankly, I'm much more inclined to trust the reports from folks who know the people personally than I am the news media, who have long since departed from the mission of reporting news and instead provide "infotainment" so that they can sell advertising space.

BTW your article might not have been quite as suspect if your byline had not been listed as Capt. "Loonie" Ryan. Just sayin'

Regards,

Jim
If anyone would like to correspond directly with the author, I would be happy to provide the contact info.

Last edited:

El Chinero

FWIW
I consider ANYTHING in the Pacific-side "Gringo Gazette" to be:
muck-racking
sensationalism
anti-motorsports
infantile
erroneous
self-serving
sophomoric
middle-school-mentality
w/ false "clever" (not!) by-lines
(plus ungody cornball "insert" quips)

I categorically pay zero attention and find the papaer only semi-useful as a CV-wrap.
By negative attention to it and perhaps it will go away. IF you DO read it read articles re: other issues: loads of finger-pointing with no solutions provided.

ICBW ... but I am not.

TT
@ IMS

summerinmaine

FWIW
I consider ANYTHING in the Pacific-side "Gringo Gazette" to be:
muck-racking
sensationalism
anti-motorsports
infantile
erroneous
self-serving
sophomoric
middle-school-mentality
w/ false "clever" (not!) by-lines
(plus ungody cornball "insert" quips)

I categorically pay zero attention and find the papaer only semi-useful as a CV-wrap.
By negative attention to it and perhaps it will go away. IF you DO read it read articles re: other issues: loads of finger-pointing with no solutions provided.

ICBW ... but I am not.

TT
@ IMS
FWIW I've received another reply from the author:

J.
Thanks for passing on the hearsay senor, unverified and truly without sound grounding in any fact whatsoever. You attack my credibility through a reading of a scurrilous post on an internet forum! Race Dezert.com was the genesis of my article about the death of Duane Curtis. And his son Daniel's sharing of the circumstances of his death with me at the hands of Mexican bandits this past November during the pre-running of the Baja 1000 near Mulege. Read the article, Murder Near Mulege, on my website at the end of this past year and in the Gringo Gazette as well in December of this past year. See the photo of his face, lost to his family just before Thanksgiving. We did that article to help the local authorities finding the murderers of this trusting man in his 70's only here to camp on a beautiful Baja beach and watch the racers, not to sell advertising and provide infotainment as you say.

BTW, your name would be more aptly signed J. Wooserman. Try thinking for yourself for a change senor. Instead of deriding those that are trying to report the news as it is observed while here in Baja, California. Why do you care? And pay attention to news media if it bothers you so?

25 years Coast Guard Licensed Captain Lonnie Ryan

PS. I coordinated a bachelor party fishing outing for 20 guys on 2 boats out of Ensenada today as a tournament, we had a blast, and my race car was racing at the Barona Speedway tonight. Could not be there because of this fishing tournament I covered with my photography and will document in a future article on my website.You?
So it appears that the author would rather attack the messenger, and wait for another story to fall into his lap. Perhaps the next story will be: "Ensenada NewsRags Shown to be Muckrakers."

At any event, my final reply to him was:

L.

I'm now a bit disappointed. Instead of trying to research the controversy that your article stimulated, and address the challenges posted by people who claim to know the facts first hand and from actual participants, you resort to attacking the messenger.

As I stated, I was passing along the critique of your article in the (now apparently vain) hope that you would want to investigate, and if necessary, publish corrections. Instead, I get slammed for "passing on the hearsay senor, unverified and truly without sound grounding in any fact whatsoever." If first hand reports from persons who claim to be involved are not "grounded in fact," then what is? Is this not "news as it was observed while here in Baja?" Either they are wrong, or you are. Either the 1505 driver was jailed, or he was not. It's pretty simple, really. By reporting to the public what you purport to be news, you and GGNorth have placed your credibility on the line.

When you cited the alleged "publications" in the article under your "byline" did you research the underlying facts, or simply pass them along? Did you report the news as "it was observed here in Baja?" If so, I would have expected that, if challenged, you would be more interested in getting it right, than in attacking me, or touting all your other accomplishments. Do YOU plan to investigate, or are you simply waiting for another story to fall into your lap? After all, you and GGNorth were the ones to publish the article. Can you not now simply verify with the Ensenada authorities whether the driver of 1505 is in custody, or ever has been? Or is that too much trouble?

I got involved in this imbroglio in an attempt to explore the dispute, assuming that a responsible journalist and a responsible news purveyor would be interested in the truth. I'm not trying to sell my story to the public, sell advertising space, or promote my business. The difference here, señor, is that I'm trying to examine the reported facts and you and GGNorth are apparently just trying to make a peso.

And I get sophmoric "word play" on my name (though I don't pretend to understand what a 'wooserman' might be), so perhaps the term "Loonie" used in your byline was intentional? If so, what exactly were you trying to convey? Perhaps I am lacking in a sense of humor. If you think so, you might want to read what others apparently feel about such hi-jinks. The rest of your reply is, of course, fascinating, but not germane to the issue at hand.

I doubt that there is value in continuing this dialog, as enjoyable as it has been. If you disagree, feel free to respond.

Regards,

J.

PS I worked pit at the Baja500 just a few miles from the tragedy, but didn't hear about it until after the fact. I got covered in dust, sweat and grease, and didn't get paid a dime. I did get a few gallons of leftover fuel to get myself back home. I'm not taking on paying passengers, trying to promote my business, or make any money off the sport. You?
If any further light is shed on the controvery, I'll be surprised.

stokes31

Well said Jim!

I think Cpt. Lonnie needs the services of an editor BADLY. Maybe you could handle that for him, and verify his stories for him while you're at it :rolleyes:

I used to grab a copy of the Gringo Gazett for reading material in the hotel when "nature called". I won't even bother anymore.

bajabird

I wouldnt let my bird [email protected] on that paper! Nancy nor Lonnie ever replied to my letters. Maybe they didnt understand my anglish