16-7.50's for Buggy

Erik Irvine

Reaction
How many different options are out there?
Any opinions on which is best?

The only one I have seen is a BFG knock off brand Kartek sells. It weighed in at 44 lbs. (tire only). I am trying to keep the front as light as reasonable on my baja bug since I don't have the King Kong size front arms, spindles, etc.

I currently have 16 in. Centerlines with 7.50s, just looking for replacement tires.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
How many different options are out there?
Any opinions on which is best?

The only one I have seen is a BFG knock off brand Kartek sells. It weighed in at 44 lbs. (tire only). I am trying to keep the front as light as reasonable on my baja bug since I don't have the King Kong size front arms, spindles, etc.

I currently have 16 in. Centerlines with 7.50s, just looking for replacement tires.

Thanks guys!
i have had a hard time locating good 16" tires so i am switching to 15" fronts...

but this yokohama Y472S LT Radial is a nice tire for a 16"

available at KARTEK

Erik Irvine

Reaction
I looked at that tire too, but it weighed in 5 lbs heavier than the BFG knock-off. It looks wider than the 7.50. What type of tire are you going to run on the 15? I would change to 15 if I ran a tire as tall as the 16-7.50.

Erik Irvine

Reaction
I am going to go up to Mckenzies this week sometime, I guess they have a "traction king" ot "highway king" or something like that

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
the super highway king is pretty good... its a smooth front tire so not really knoby... if u can get the trac 1700 by BFG its the best front i have ran...

i am going to run the Yokohama Tractor Service tire... its only like 3/8 of an inch shorter than the 16's i currently run and much lighter... the Yokohama 15's are about 7 pounds lighter per side(roughly)

the reason i used 2 run 16's is because they would keep the beam out of the dirt, but it really isnt that much higher... would rather run a lighter tire up front

if i were u i would run the Yokohama Super diggers III on all 4 corners... :D

Erik Irvine

Reaction

AZ1000

2009 DRIVE CHAMP
Reaction
Go to Parkhouse Tire and get shaved 7.50-16 BFG Traxtion tires. They're under 40lbs when done. We run them on the front always, with 235-85r-16's BFG's on the back unless we go to Barstow then we run the shave 7.50-16's on all corners.
I do want to get some 15" rims so I can run Super Diggers in the back at Plaster City.

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
Go to Parkhouse Tire and get shaved 7.50-16 BFG Traxtion tires. They're under 40lbs when done. We run them on the front always, with 235-85r-16's BFG's on the back unless we go to Barstow then we run the shave 7.50-16's on all corners.
I do want to get some 15" rims so I can run Super Diggers in the back at Plaster City.
if u let me drive with u at PC on the 19th i will bring down the yokohama super diggers!!! :D

Erik Irvine

Reaction
Go to Parkhouse Tire and get shaved 7.50-16 BFG Traxtion tires.

Do you have any pictures of the tread style? Thanks for the input guys!

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
Is that including the weight difference of a 15 & 16 in. rim?
yeah that is the whole package... i am actually going to run the KMC beadlock 15" wheel with all hardware (15.7 lbs) which is the same weight as the 16" centerline... so the only weight difference will be the tire itself which is about 4 lbs

the 15" centerline is around 12 lbs...

Johnson954

Reaction
I've been wanting to run 16" tires on my class 9 for a while, and even had some 16" steel wheels made, but not having much luck convincing everyone else it would be a good idea. With the wheels, I wanted to try running the Denman trailer tires. I know they sell them at Town and Country tire here in Victorville for about $115. Here's a link...I was interested in the TOR 32's that are 10 ply, 31.7" in diameter, and only weigh 34 lbs....without anything shaved off.

http://www.denmantire.com/catalog/p20.pdf

16InchWheel.jpg

As info, the steel wheel weighs just over 16lbs.

MadMike1111

Reaction
Does anyone know where to get the BFG Super Traxion 7.50-16? Otherwise I have to go with a Hercules HDT 10 ply version