1600 BLOCK

rt_racer

Reaction
Rick Taylor was racing in the 500 with Hector Salazar because Hectors truck was not ready. After the Ojos road crossing I WENT TO PASS A 1600 and in my eyes I saw him move left to try and block me. I just recieved a phone call and that was confirmed by a spectator .When the 1600 saw me going on the left side of the track on a strait road with 1000,s of people on either side of the track he decided to turn in to me. My rear tire climed his and I went over a couple times. very stupid thing to do. lucky no spectators were hurt or us. I try to never hit buggy becuase buggys against a truck useually loses. I think racing is very expensive without having nuckleheads like this on the course. I am getting pictures soon. watch that mirror.

JCA

Reaction
Damm Rick sorry to hear that. How bad is the truck? Werent you doing the BITD series? Are you going to be able to get it ready for the 1000? Post some pics so we all know who that sucka was.

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

Desert_Roller

Reaction
Their are two sides to every story. I will not defend a block that puts spectators in danger. But as a 1600 racer my guess is: 1. you drive an 8 truck 2. That 16 car was behind you for a long time waiting for the course to open up to make the pass. 3. You probably were blocking him FIRST 4. If the area was so crowed with specators why were you forcing the issue?

Let the fireworks begin...............

singlehanded

Reaction
in his bio it says 7open not 8,is that right?

local

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Yes Rick is 7 open. Desert Roller, No profile, no posting. Put a name to your posts.

JCA

Reaction
Not defending hell not reading is more like it. You are correct that there is always 2 sides but everything else????? He said he was passing the 1600 all of the sudden you say the 1600 was passing the truck and you have the wrong truck class. Sounds like to me you might have been racing a 1600 and had something that is questionable happen that you are feeling a little guilty about? Might not be this incident but maybe with a 8 truck that you were passing?

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
If anyone has any pictures or videos of the roll-over please contact us.

klaus

frankh

Reaction
First off I'm NOT defending either side, It's between them.

But I will tell you a little story. I was pitting for a friend at one of the Fireworks races. He was hauling ass in his option and a 10 car came up a just ran him over ( in his option). Well my friend was wrong because I saw the whole thing. The 10 car tried to nerf him and backed off when they went around a turn he speed up to nerf him again but just as he got up to him my friend hit his brakes for a big roller and the 10 car hit him. Just one of those racing thing.
I know I have hit people pretty hard ( almost rolled a 1300 car once) but I did not mean too. It was all just bad timing.
I have been hit hard to and like to think the same thing happened. One of my worst races (i think my only bad race) was when I ran over a guy in a silt bed then hit his car. I never saw him or his car till after the dust cleared. The guy was O.K but I could have really hurt him.

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
all I can say is trucks or buggies doenst matter use the horn and BUMP TO PASS!!!!! get out of the way

everyone thinks they are superman when the camera is pointed at them...untill they land!!!

rt_racer

Reaction
there are two sides to the story and I just hope the guy never saw me passing . # 1 I race 7 open and I Greers class 8 dust from start of guadalupe wash until I tryed to go around him at around the 40 rm . I got high centered on a boulder and thats where the other 7 trucks and 2-3 1600 cars passed me. I passed 1 og the 1600 cars before ojos so at no time aws I holding him up. As far as passing with spectators around , I have a 500 hp truck with a srait graded road with plenty of room to pass and a 1600 car in front of me. Come on what would you do. I dont like taking on a 1600 because the motor in the back cant take a hit $$$$. but when Im in there mirror I do expect them to pull over in a reasonable amount of time or you know what happens

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I guess you found out what happens...they act like a jackass and block you in. Sucks about the accident man. I hate to hear about rollovers especially ones that could have been easily avoided.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
I think before everyone starts pointing fingers, you should talk to the 1600 driver and get his side of the story. Maybe he didn't see you at all or his co-driver saw you at the last minute and told the driver to pull over? You just never know. If it turns out that he did it on purpose, i guess you know who to look for at the next race and return the favor =). My .02 cents.
P.S. Sorry about the truck Rick, that does SUCK!

Racers Only

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Seems to be alot of guys in new trucks plowing into people from behind. Maybe they aren't used to going that fast. We also got plowed by someone making an easy pass. Imatation mexican police sirens don't count as race horns either.....

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Passing can be very dangerous and sometimes people make an honest mistake. Last year at the 500 we were at San Vicente and Rick Ellison was being chased be the Mecco (SP?) buggy down the road, approaching the left turn at the power station. Rick slowed to make the turn and the mecco buggy attempted to nerf him but didn't see Rick slow down. As a result, the mecco buggy rolled up and over Rick's back tire and it flipped the little buggy side ways over the fence and into the adjacent field, almost hitting a mexican in his truck! It was quite a spectacular wreck and luckily no one was hurt.

See ya in the dirt!

pciscott

Reaction
I hate to say this, but people need to watch there mirrors better in offroad racing. When fast cars overtake slow cars there is always some danger involved. We try the horn, but nine out of ten times this does not work because you cant hear a horn with a motor screaming in your ear. We then try the nice light bump to get the car in front to wave or give a signal that they know your back there and want to pass. At this time I expect the car to be slowing down looking for a spot to pull off. I am a patient person, but IF YOU RUN YOU DONE if you know what I mean. Balking or blocking is just as big an offense as abusive nerfing. The biggest problem I am having in the new truck is how to safely pass a bike or quad. They cant hear you, and they freak out when you just go for the pass. We need some kind of a electronic device that would receive a signal when you get close behind someone. I figure a garage door opener type device with a receiver on the bikes would be great. Some of the other guys use helicopters to swoop down and let the bikes know someones behind them, and I wish I had the resources for this but we need to figure out something before someone gets run over. A paint ball gun would work good and your co-driver could paint some pretty pictures during the race. Bottom line WATCH YOUR MIRRORS and as soon as you know someone is behind you wave to let them know you see them and are going to let them buy. my advice to the seven truck guy that got flipped, build a bigger front bumper and use it! RUBBING IS RACING!!!

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Something that has worked very well in my experience is a single headlight in front. The McMillins run them on most of there cars and this works great. It's easier catch or pickup a light reflection through the dust of your own vehicle, in your mirrors. Some sections are difficult to focus constantly on your mirror and driving (if your solo). But catching a glimpse of headlight is a good helper.

BTW- Im obviously referring to racing in the daylight! At night it's 10x easier to see someone running up on you.

Mike_McCluskey

Reaction
PCISCOTT has a good idea. Never thought about a manually actuated signal device. Awhile ago there was some talk about cars with senders and receivers that could signal the distance or at least let you know of a car behind you. I heard rally cars or something like that uses a similar device. A manually actuated device( which could eventually be made mandatory for safety) would be more effective in many ways. Add an extra idiot light to the dash kinda like a shift light only it will be a "move the hell out of the way light".

rt_racer

Reaction
J C- the truck is minas the two rear fenders ,one door and one front.hangers are to be replaced and the oil coolers in front.Next time I will be using my front bumper. Theres no way to make the 1000 cause something in the motor broke at 154 rm and my backup is being freshened. also to busy with work to prep and to take 5 days off my customers would shoot me.

Catawampus

Reaction
Not indicating that this was even an issue with the original post but Allwaysrcn has a good point. We race a nine car. And being at the relative bottom of the racing food chain, we take great issue with faster cars coming up from behind. I can verify that running lights during the day substantially increases visibility through the dust. We are always watching our mirrors, and being we are so close to the ground there are many times we can not even see our own rear-end through the dust let alone if anyone is behind us. Obviously there is no excuse for not pulling over at the nearest opportunity when sounding the horn and when there is little or no dust on the course.