1600 vs Class 7 question for Primm

Laurie

Reaction
I'm curious about completely 4 laps in a 1600, verus 3 for Class 7. In order to complete the 4 laps you need to average 39 mpg, the 3 laps would have to be 29 mpg. I know that traditionally only a few of the fastest 1600's beat the average of the Class 7's and the rest are slower. Do the 1600's think they are going to have time to finish?

Reaction
Winning and top finishing 1/2-1600s will have no problem finishing on time, but those who have even minor on-course problems will time out - destroying their season point’s chances, Mile Stone chance, etc.

Same could be said of 8, PT, 6 and 7 if they were running 4 laps - any of which classes should be able to beat a 1600, especially at Primm.

Your team appears to be interested in Points racing - you don't want 4 laps.

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
I have driven both and own both now sort of, no 7/6 is in th ball park of a top 5-7 1600 car and I think the 7/6 classes have a lot to prove before they can be mentioned in the same breath as the 1600's.

My guess is that the top 7/6 drivers would crap a twenkie if they ever saw what's really going on in 1600.

I think 6 and 7 could be great classes and 6 probably more so with the open rules but as of now neither is in what I would call the top 5 of most "to be rekoned with" classes.

Clearly TT, 1, 16 are the top three with 12 trailing in 5th with 22 probably 4th.

Hate it or not I race in some way in most classes mentioned so this is an honest opinion.

Reaction
PAB - I agree and disagree. You know I'm a 1600 owner and driver and flat out love the class - it is my favorite! On the other hand, the Class 6/7200 that I have been testing the last few months will out run a 1600 in almost any conditions.

What makes 1/2-1600 so fast and why they finish ahead of these other "faster" classes is because these are the BEST DRIVERS IN ALL CLASSES. Did I say that loud enough?

Put any one of the top 1/2-1600 dirvers (MacCachren, Geer, Malloy, Pfankuch, Maffei - the top five guys at this year's BAP, or Bean, Eugenio, Adam - the list goes on) in a great Calss 6/7200 and they would be faster. Not putting down the current crop of Class 7, 6/7200 dirver - the 1600 guys are THE BEST!

The other thing 1/2-1600 has going for it over 7, 6/7200 is reliability.

Also higher entry numbers mean more 1600 have a chance of having a clean race.

This debate always cracks me up!

chickstruck

Reaction
Winning and top finishing 1/2-1600s will have no problem finishing on time, but those who have even minor on-course problems will time out - destroying their season point’s chances, Mile Stone chance, etc.
that was her point.
PAB - I agree and disagree. You know I'm a 1600 owner and driver and flat out love the class - it is my favorite! On the other hand, the Class 6/7200 that I have been testing the last few months will out run a 1600 in almost any conditions.

What makes 1/2-1600 so fast and why they finish ahead of these other "faster" classes is because these are the BEST DRIVERS IN ALL CLASSES. Did I say that loud enough?

Put any one of the top 1/2-1600 dirvers (MacCachren, Geer, Malloy, Pfankuch, Maffei - the top five guys at this year's BAP, or Bean, Eugenio, Adam - the list goes on) in a great Calss 6/7200 and they would be faster. Not putting down the current crop of Class 7, 6/7200 dirver - the 1600 guys are THE BEST!

The other thing 1/2-1600 has going for it over 7, 6/7200 is reliability.

Also higher entry numbers mean more 1600 have a chance of having a clean race.

This debate always cracks me up!
She was not trying to debate which class is faster. Just think that having 2 similar speed classes with different amount of laps is strange, especially when the extra laps are going to make it so any downtime will knock them out of the race and hurt them on the season points championship. I would have expected the mid-pack 1600 guys to be complaining about having to do that many laps. If i was a faster 1600 guy i would defiantly want to only be doing 3 laps (or give more time to complete 4 laps) If you are a fast guy in 1600 and break something it would really suck to blow your entire season points because of a unrealistic timelimit.

harleys dad

Reaction
I think if a 7 tried to run the pace at Primm, it could, for a wile untill the tool bag comes out. 1600 is wfo the entire race, start to finish, no 7 is driven that way, forsure these days

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
Ramsey what you are saying is pretty much right in line with what I am saying. The class 6/7200 can be great but right now it is still a weaker class than the ones I mentioned. Same problem for class 10 as 7200/6, good speed class with good technology but just not enough of what you mentioned to be a player, in my opinion.

I'm sad the mid-size trucks are so all over the place, should be the biggest field in the sport but ever since the "factories" ran amuck of the rules and were allowed to do so and some organizations made too many random mid size truck classes they have been hampered.

1400, 1450, 7, 6, 7200, 7100, 7000, 7s, 7sx.....geez what a mess and in truth the drivers of these classes, especially the limited ones are to blame for not getting them all back together. That's why we have chosen the unlimited route, less whinners and less crap. Really if I was Sal I would tell all the "7" classes they had a year and then it would be 7 with frame and other minor restrictions and kill off 7sx and if there is even a 7s. Make the classes one as noone cares, if they don't want to step up go race sportsman because with one or two cars who cares?

I'm bitter bcause mid size should mean something.

I don't really know or care what Laurie really meant, seemed she was comparing 7 and 1600 and it just isn't fair to compare them. 1600 has great battles and a deep field with big jitters still coming back to race it when they can, there are probably like 100 solid 1600 cars out there.

I hope class 7 can become more as I own one but 6 is going to push 7 farther into extinction.

Reaction

Same could be said of 8, PT, 6 and 7 if they were running 4 laps - any of which classes should be able to beat a 1600, especially at Primm.

Your team appears to be interested in Points racing - you don't want 4 laps.

that was her point.
That is what I thought, so I wonder why she said "Completely missed my point guys." Maybe she didn't read my post.

Look, in a perfect world, all classes would run the same distance in the same race. Time constraints force SCORE to make decissions based on previous experience. 1600s have proven themselves time and time again. This race as with Laughlin can be a Points killer, that is part of the game. I have never given much attention to Point's Champions - I want to see Race Winners in classes with high entries and tough competition - those are the drivers I respect and want to be. If I were racing Class 7, 6 or 1600 in this race I would want all 4 laps; race for the win and then the bestg O/A finish I could get. That's what I'm talking about!

chickstruck

Reaction
That is what I thought, so I wonder why she said "Completely missed my point guys." Maybe she didn't read my post.
im sure it was PAB's response which has nothing to do with what she was talking about and shouldnt have even been brought up in this discussion.

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
I wasn't trying to be rude ob flip towards Laurie. I'm on my phonposting and when I re-read my post I realized it sounded a little rude and that wasn't my intention.

I respect class 7 and apprecite most of my Internet buds here on RDC including Laurie.

You can't be sensitive if you want to jump in with the alligators. You post 1600 and 7 in the discription of a thread you knew you were gonna get someone wound up, if not why post it?

Laurie

Reaction
I don't ever post expecting to have someone "mad" at me. I think adults should be able to discuss a difference of opinion without being rude. Maybe I was wrong.

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
im sure it was PAB's response which has nothing to do with what she was talking about and shouldnt have even been brought up in this discussion.
Well Laurie may not of said exactly what I've spun off on a tangent about but she is asking why 1600 does something that 7 doesn't? This my friends compares the two classes.

I said you can't compare them and then went off on what I think is wrong with the mini truck classes.

who cares it's the Internet!!!! Yeeee

I'm not mad at anyone! I'm bummed the way these classes are all split up!

Wahl_7s

Reaction
So Cam what do you think mid-sized trucks should be, 7 open and every thing else in 1 class stock? You know I run a 7100 in BITD as did Heidi. We've been arguing about this among ourselves for a long time(the 7s guys). What is your perspective?

EncLocal

Reaction
I have never given much attention to Point's Champions - I want to see Race Winners in classes with high entries and tough competition - those are the drivers I respect and want to be.
Wow ! :eek:

We both know people who have raced for years, then the points championship and race wins all happened in the same year. :cool:

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
So Cam what do you think mid-sized trucks should be, 7 open and every thing else in 1 class stock? You know I run a 7100 in BITD as did Heidi. We've been arguing about this among ourselves for a long time(the 7s guys). What is your perspective?
Sort of hard to brake down while in the car but the entire mid size truck thing needs mouth to butt badly. I think those that race these mid size classes should be some of the goat of desert racing and I think they would be and there would be more teams with real sponsors or availability of getting sponsors if TV and other media didn't have to explain for 20 minutes what the hell the trucks are and why each class if different. This is why there is really no coverage, same like he buggys....too many classes with too much to explain.

Someone said it "keep it simple stupid"!

I race Unlimited Trucks. Easy

I race unlimited buggy. Easy

I race unlimited mid size trucks. Almost easy

I race a semi unlimited truck that has to have a frame. Ahhhh

I race a limited truck that has to me under 3 litre and has stock pick up points but there is another class with a little more more and a little more suspension but they really look the same. Geeez

I say put 'em in a blender.

I don't have a good answer but if we were racing 7sX still and score said next year it's all gonna be 7, all trucks with frames are class 7, I would have just made the move. Those that don't want to can race sportsman truck untill they are ready to race a class or untill the class gets some interest.

People hate me on this topic but at least they all can't lie and say there is nothing wrong, it is the biggest mess in desert racing.....

Written on my iPhone, don't be hating

Wahl_7s

Reaction
Unfortunately I have to agree with you, I wish we got more exposure. To many different things going on w/mini trucks. I just wish there was an easy solution

Thanks man
Mike