1600 vs UTV trade offs

Troy_3

RDC Crypto
So I’ve been on here for a while but mostly just read forums due to the lack of my knowledge in the industry compared to all you. I’m finally in a financial state in my life where I hope to start racing within a year or two. The the affordability of picking up a used 16 car that is still able to compete seems like the best option for me I believe.

Seems like Building a UTV would cost well over 70k, and I don’t even know it would be able to compete at that budget. Not that winning is the only thing I’m trying to do.(even though that would be the end goal) I’m sure the 4wd helps out in certain areas as well I just don’t know how I feel about UTVs at the moment.

I would be the one prepping the car etc. can you guys give me some pros/cons of both?

turbodon

RDC Crypto
I used to hate the carts but they're sorta starting to grow on me. Picking a cart class makes a huge difference. Some are straight up full tube chassis race cars with a stock style drive terrain, some are built up off bolt-on parts you can order online. I love following along with Jamie and see how well they're doing with the simple Honda Talon platform and guys Like Mario G who dominated in their Textron XX.

1600 cars are sick. IMO you get more speed and smiles per dollar in 1600 than you can in any class. Much like the carts, 1600 is super competitive. You need a legit chassis, low comp engine, and you have to be a very fast aggressive driver to do well.

I think it takes more brains to prep a 1600 car than a cart. You have to be engine savvy, it's an AC VW. Once you know your way around them they're not so bad. Getting your feet wet in the beginning you can probably skimp a little more and do a basic prep:

Wash car down & inspect it, look for chassis cracks, beat your skid plates back straight, bolt check everything.. twice, tear the front end apart and check your pins & spindles, re-grease and re-assemble, change engine oil, check the valves, change spark plugs. Service and inspect the CV's.

Once things heat up and you're working your way towards being a front runner plan an the engine and trans coming out each race. Trans goes out to builder for full tear down, mag check, inspect and re-assemble. Same engine prep as above plus compression check, oil sample to lab. Dyno it if it feels even a tiny bit down on power.

Mag the spring plates, service the cv's & replace the stars, mag the axles, mag the front spindles, link pins, arms. Rebuild the shocks.
Plan on replacing some parts, these things get run on the ragged edge and stuff gets torn up. Spend plenty of time testing.

If you buy a legit car up front and keep it maintained you'll probably do good on resale. If you buy a fixer-upper and have to put a 10K low comp engine in, update the shocks, trans, etc, you will for sure go backwards on resale. You'll probably spend as much on updates as the purchase of the car, and it's unlikely it'll up resale anywhere near dollar per dollar ratio.

Advertising supports this site

Bro_Gill

Live. Laugh. Love.
RDC Crypto
Another benefit of a 1600 car besides lower initial cost is, after a season and a half to two seasons, you won't have to replace a cracking at every pivot point frame.

Troy_3

RDC Crypto
If I go the 16 route I would like to buy something that is competitive over a fixer upper, not only to keep me sane, but to know where and what to look for with a well built car that I could use for years with updates of course.

offroadracer516

RDC Crypto
Website
www.race-dezert.com
1600 you can get a car that last decades. literally. UTV you seem to need a new car every few years. 1600 is still growing in popularity. Its actually hard to find used cars right now. We just had over 20 at bap and over 30 at the recent more race all in one month. This is the 1600 group on FB if you have any questions. 登录 Facebook

Last edited:

GageFamilyRacing

RDC Crypto
UTV's have a bunch of different classes to choose from as well as small grass roots races all over the country. UTV's range from $20k to $200k plus depending on what you want. Both classes are very competitive but I've seen how the top 1600 guys drive and you need to be on the crazy side to be competitive. Not saying the UTV teams are slow its just different.

Troy_3

RDC Crypto
Thanks guys I appreciate all the feedback. Are 1600 harder on the body? I understand everything will be, but what can I expect for longevity of both car and body after a race like V2R?

Klaus

Administrator
Solutions
RDC Crypto
I am 1600 biased. Its old school. Has a proper gear box.

However... looking at media exposure the UTV classes seem to get more of it. Might be easier to get a sponsor. Appears to be a fad, however I said that 10 years ago and it its here to stay.

Both groupings get plenty off entries. Maybe not at every single race but if you pick and choose the ones with high entry counts you will have competition cut out.

If I would go start racing again today it would be between those two categories. Good thread so far.

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks guys I appreciate all the feedback. Are 1600 harder on the body? I understand everything will be, but what can I expect for longevity of both car and body after a race like V2R?
1600 is definitely harder on the body, no doubt about that.

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
How do you know? Have you raced both?

...and is that a bad thing?

It certainly looks hard.
Haven't raced either. But have ridden in both. The 1600 is fun as hell to push hard! But it pushes back even harder on the driver 😂. Takes a real maniac to win 1600. But the win will feel that much better!

notime

NTR Films media guy
RDC Crypto
Website
www.codeoffroad.com.mx
Raced in both and yes 1600 it’s a lot harder on body specially if you not so young lol

Raced Vegas to Reno a few times (Class7) and for a 1600, usually BITD uses a lot of graded roads here and there you only worry will be a good gearing

For other courses like Laughlin Parker etc I’ll say a UTV had the plush ride you will like

For courses like Barstow Lucerne etc can’t comment never been there racing just a few test on Barstow main

Baja it’s a lot different animal so depends where you gonna race

Mike_McCluskey

RDC Crypto

dan200

wholesome chickens
RDC Crypto
The hardest part about racing a UTV is telling your family that you're gay.

Theo James Joke GIF by New York Comic Con

Troy_3

RDC Crypto
I am 1600 biased. Its old school. Has a proper gear box.

However... looking at media exposure the UTV classes seem to get more of it. Might be easier to get a sponsor. Appears to be a fad, however I said that 10 years ago and it its here to stay.

Both groupings get plenty off entries. Maybe not at every single race but if you pick and choose the ones with high entry counts you will have competition cut out.

If I would go start racing again today it would be between those two categories. Good thread so far.

I do like the gear box, makes me wonder how many belts you can go though in a longer race. Especially with how hard they are pushed.

dan200

wholesome chickens
RDC Crypto
I do like the gear box, makes me wonder how many belts you can go though in a longer race. Especially with how hard they are pushed.
if your set up is right, you have a quality belt and you know how to drive- belts should last a whole race.

Klaus

Administrator
Solutions
RDC Crypto
Ha!
I despise automatic transmissions in anything. Even Los Angeles rush hour traffic. Never understood how one can possibly enjoy an automatic Corvette/Mustang/Charger without the 3rd paddle.