1600 vs UTV trade offs

nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto
Not sure who you are talking to but that's simply false. lol Its rough but not that rough. Ray Griffin just co rode the entire more race in a 1600. And he's a trophy truck guy.
Desert Assassin Guys. I was gonna throw out the names but I’ll leave it with you pointing out that there’s no way that happened and move on.

offroadracer516

RDC Crypto
Website
www.race-dezert.com
Desert Assassin Guys. I was gonna throw out the names but I’ll leave it with you pointing out that there’s no way that happened and move on.
200 miles. Its not that bad :)
sfdfsfdsfdsfsd.PNG

Advertising supports this site

Troy_3

RDC Crypto
IMO 1600 is the way you should go. $20k upfront and you've got a great car you'd be competitive at smaller events. Top guys could take that same 20k car and win in it. Don't plan to be competitive in bigger races because when the good drivers show up, and there's a lot of really good drivers, they are crazy fast.
Like has been said, a 1600 chassis and almost everything on it will last decades. Cartwheel it and it's usually not too much $ fixing.
I've seen some mid-level race UTVs wad up and it's a yard sale, and the lower main frames are crap that crack apart and junk in a couple years.
Is a 1600 hard on the body? If you have any back issues already try a different class lol. My wife mainly races our 1-1600, she's just a little better than mid-pack at the big races (she's gotten 1 paycheck, yay!). She finished one of the days at RAGE (as I recall) and absolutely had a concussion. Just racing, didn't roll it or anything. But when the repeated questions kept happening it was pretty obvious LOL
And like Dan200 said, you won't have to out yourself....
How bad of back issues are we talking? Are a few slipped disc’s going to be that big of an issue, or just be sore for a week?

Troy_3

RDC Crypto
Both are great classes, and have there advantages. Getting sponsors, either product or finances will be easier in a UTV. If your good and can win or are consistent you could even get manufacture support. There are 4 classes of UTV to choose from. The Stock class which is going to be the most affordable is growing. Do people spend 6 figures in a UTV? Some do, but most don’t and I don’t believe you need to. Guys like Brandon Sims, Brandon Schuller both race in Pro Turbo. Both can win and are both in top equipment with Polaris backing and their cars are not 6 figure cars. Sims raced using a off the shelf Lone Star suspension kit that anyone could buy. Schuller still runs a factory muffler. But like others have said as the UTV models change, or as the race series change the rules to support those new cars, it can make racing a competitive UTV harder. But what is nice is the amount of series that offer UTV classes. D38 which is a local series that races in Plaster City is great for guys who want to race, but can’t afford or compete in the top tear series. Entry fees are $150, no tracker fees and no prerunning to control costs.

1600 cars are a true drivers class. The racing is close on the shorter courses. You better be brave to hold it wide open, learn how to keep momentum in the corners, if you want to win races. Mechanically I think there is less to break and are more simple to work on, which makes it cheaper to maintain. But don’t expect to find as much product or financial sponsorship support as a UTV. A 1600 car is going to be more durable then a UTV hands down. The front can take a beating like not other. The limited travel suspension will beat you up way more then a UTV will. But one of the best parts about a 1600 car is a 1 year old car or 10 year old car are still going to be legal, and competitive. Sure little things change, but it’s only bolt on parts. Offroadracer516 is a perfect example of racing an older car and being very competitive. Sure he’s upgraded the shocks, engine etc. to todays standards, but his 20 year old chassis is still competitive today. Also let’s say you race for a couple years and then stop for a few years due to life. You can start back up with that same car and race anywhere that has a 1600 class and your car will be legal and can be competitive. (Let’s hope they keep smart shocks out of the class)

One other thing to consider is what series you are wanting to race, and where. You don’t see as many 1600 cars racing the top series like Score & BITD anymore. So if those are the races you want to race with larger entries, maybe the UTV is your vehicle. If you want to race a more budget friendly series in the local deserts like MORE or SNORE, then a 1600 would be the better choice.
Thanks for all of this!

Bro_Gill

Live. Laugh. Love.
RDC Crypto
How bad of back issues are we talking? Are a few slipped disc’s going to be that big of an issue, or just be sore for a week?
Well, have a couple buddies stand on your shoulders while you climb a ladder up 24 feet about 100 times and see how you feel, then get back to us.

Robin Hood

RDC Crypto
If you even think you have back issues, you may want to consider not just passing on 1600 but desert racing in general.

I had back surgery 25 plus years ago and have fought back pain my whole life. It never stopped me from racing and my most recent race was in a 1600 car about a year and a half ago. Use a good hard shell seat, make sure the compartment fits you well, make sure the belts are mounted at the proper angles and you will be fine.

McCredie A

RDC Crypto
I had back surgery 25 plus years ago and have fought back pain my whole life. It never stopped me from racing and my most recent race was in a 1600 car about a year and a half ago. Use a good hard shell seat, make sure the compartment fits you well, make sure the belts are mounted at the proper angles and you will be fine.

I would highly suggest getting the above set up correctly. It is night and day different on your body when the ergonomics are correct.

10 shot

RDC Crypto
Buy a nice 1600 car for say 45k race it keep it for 3 years. When it's time to sell it you can probably get your original price of the car back of course minus all the prep and parts you put into ot those 3 years that money is out the window. Buy a utv and build it put say 80k into it and race it 3 years. Well after 2 years it is out dated and not the current cutting edge car it was 2 years before. By 3 years it is time to sell it for whatever you can get for a old non competitive utv. Probably in the 30k range if your lucky. For me I'll take the 16 car all day long!

offroadracer516

RDC Crypto
Website
www.race-dezert.com
We took 2nd last month at the SNORE Battle at primm against brand new 1600 cars with my 1982 Race-co chasis. That ain't gonna happen with a UTV. One class you can race for decades with the same car. The other you are gonna need a new one to run up front every few years. 1600 is where its at.
277785378_4918002051586397_8156911301013243318_n (2).jpg

278588074_4976800932373175_4403437327593302821_n.jpg
278910428_4976801035706498_1205000936465132185_n.jpg
277227850_4887372211316048_4686600071620864271_n.jpg
275175252_4835439629842640_3202439055724590861_n.jpg

Andy4

RDC Crypto
If you are a off road Racing purist race 1600

If you are trying to be apart of the ever changing future of the sport race UTV

In the end it’s all a lot of money and work

10 shot

RDC Crypto
Utv racers are a different breed. Most of them have never even sat in a 1600 car or any other offroad car. It has been a utv from the start and they know nothing else. There are a few that came from other desert cars but very few. Probably all desert racers own a utv or two including me. I think there great for trail riding, exploring , getting groceries, golf and shorter pre running. I can tell you there is nothing like driving a purpose built offroad car. Class 5u, 1600, 10, 6100 class 1 or tt. The fastest on the course or not unless you have raced one of those machines you have no idea what the difference is, you can watch them all day but you have no clue.