1736 Silver State 300 report

Pee Wee

Reaction
Sometime after our victory at Vegas to Reno we realized if we were to run the final two races in the BITD series we could have a championship at years end so the decision was made to prep the jeep during the short gap between races. Bk Fabworks handled the chassis preparation and Doug Maxwell made revisions to the motor to add an external oil cooler due to the engine temperatures we experienced at V to R.
The Jeep was tested for a few laps at the recent MORE race and the new cooling system was working fine. While the jeep was getting a final run down on the Wednesday before the race the motor backfired and quit. We discovered the gear on the camshaft that drives the oil pump and distributor had shed some teeth and needed replaced or another motor would have to slide in. Doug made the call to leave the motor in place and replace the cam and oil pump, no small feat. Doug and Brian Munson went to work and had the motor running like a top in one day. Barry Karakas came to our shop to pick up the jeep because he was going to haul it to Mesquite for the race. When he got it to his shop he notices a leak a the transmission tail shaft and decided to replace the seal by himself and he completed the task sometime early Friday morning while the rest of the team was home in bed.
Friday we all hooked up at around 6:00 a.m. for the long drive to Mesquite arriving around 1:00 for Tech. Minimal entries made for a quick trip through signup and tech inspection.
Race day and we trailer the Jeep 95 miles to the start in Alamo Jeff is in for the start with Wesley Hall because his usual co rider Doug is out due to prior commitments. Around 25 miles into the race Jeff hits a wall of silt hits the brakes and stalls the motor, restart, gas it, nothing, reverse, first, gas it, wham! He’s slammed by a driver of a mini truck. Not stuck anymore so let’s go. At the first road crossing they are told they pitched the spare tire into the desert, not again! We lost two at Vegas to Reno.
They stop at pit 1 and Barry throws on a new spare and adds another strap to hold the tire because the rear cage is about a foot shorter than it was at race start. Wesley apparently was a little shook up from the impact and feeling nauseous and wanted out at pit two. Wes manages to keep his breakfast where it belongs for the run to pit 2 where his dad Charley Hall gets in for the ride to Caliente where who knows who is to get in with me. Somewhere along the way Charley’s breakfast decides it wants out and he unloads in his helmet, yuck! At around mile 147 the come upon the race stoppage due to a class 7 truck that has crashed into power pole shearing the pole downing the wires and burning the truck to the ground. Best In The Desert manages to re route and re start the race for around 25 vehicles. They have a trouble free run to pit 5 Caliente where I am ready to get in but Wes is still a little green in the gills and he now has a belly full of roast beef sandwich. In comes the Jeep, 2 dump cans of fuel, the Light Force light bar is installed, Jeff and Charley are out me and my not so chipper co rider are in. We have a good run going until Carp where a difficult creek crossing we were warned before the race that might give the racers trouble and require an extraction, you think! oh yea we got stuck! 33” tires, 2 live axles, we were like a turtle straddling a railroad track. BITD was ready and it took a Jeep about 5 whacks with a heavy strap to get us on our way. What followed was some of the most challenging yet scenic terrain I’ve ever had the pleasure to race on, it reminded me of a good dual sport ride on my bike.
While I was enjoying the scenery Wes was once again considering extracting his last meal. The call was put out for a co rider that wasn’t lime green to get in at pit 6. Jeff was feeling good and more than happy to get back in with me for the finish, now we just need to make it to 6 without….oh no! he couldn’t hold it, just glad he peeled his helmet off so I didn’t hear it through the intercom. We continue the rather uncomfortable trip to pit 6 where Jeff gets into the chunk filled passenger seat and we are off for the finish. The remaining 50 miles are completed without issue and Jeff and I cross the finish line together in the same car, something we haven’t done since The Great American Race about 25 years ago in a 1915 Model T Ford. Ok so now I can tell you we were the only entry in our class so we finished first and last as I see it. The good news is all we have to do is start the final race at Henderson and we have won the BITD championship. As usual thanks must go out to…..
Bk Fabworks, TCS, Goodyear, Light Force, Maxwell’s Racing Engines, and the gang at Chase Motorsports for the added pit support. See you all at Henderson.
Jeff Adds:
This was a rather hectic race to make and the last minute issues with the motor and trans did not help,there was a time when we doubted making the race but with the help of the fore mentioned we made it .
Perry and I both thought this was one of the most challenging races we could remember, not your usual desert race, very technical to drive for sure.
Just to make sure we have the Karma Dog on our side for the next few races I was able to pull a few cars out of the silt along with turning one back on its wheels, I think they were all able to make it to the finish so it was a feel good race also.
This was the fourth 300 plus mile race in a row the Jeep has completed without a major mechanical problem(that was not self inflicted),we believe we have created a very durable-competitive race car and are trying to even better after each race.
I too wish to thank all that help us get us to the desert to race….

Later.
Pee Wee and Jeff

CHASETHISTOO

Reaction
Congrats guys. It sounds like getting to the finish was a win in itself.

I didnt know Wes lost his lunch too. Thats funny...Like father like son. haha

LRS1972

Reaction
Congrats guys. It sounds like getting to the finish was a win in itself.

I didnt know Wes lost his lunch too. Thats funny...Like father like son. haha

There's nothing wrong with puking during a race. It's the guys that puke just before the race that I question. But for us maybe it's good luck.