1776 vw engine

2fast_Eddie

Reaction
I'm pretty new to the offroad world, but when i tasted it that was it i'm hooked!!!, so I was just curious about how much a 1776 vw engine has in horsepower? Or possibly, what it could have. Might get a buggy with that engine.

Either it's on or it's off. . .

ntsqd

Reaction
Really depends on what level of 'kill' it's been set on. Basically you have a stock stroke with bigger bores (90.5 mm vs. 85 mm). Several of the guys I used to off-road with ran those in glass buggies. I nearly did too, but then found a killer deal on a 76 mm stroke crank. The 90.5 is the best bore size for longevity. It has the same, or nearly the same cylinder wall thickness as the stock barrels. Everything else is thinner which leads to cylinders that go out of round quicker.
If it's fresh or hasn't been flogged unmercifully that's pretty decent combo.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

michael_loomis

Reaction
the current crop of class 12/SCORE lite motors (1776-1835) range from 125 to 160hp at the crank.

Wayne_Nosala

Reaction
I had great luck with 1776 config on my last buggy motor. It had almost
10 years of screaming & hammering & over-reving. The combo i had
was a 69 mm counterweighted crank, 90.5 "thick wall cylinders" use the
90.5s you have to bore the case with, they are thicker walls they will
last much longer, ...there are 90.5s you can slip in the stock case bore,
stay away from those, they have thinner walls, it doesn't cost much to
have the case bored out

with the addition of a cam, & some mild dual port heads
overall, it is a very inexpensive way to get some power of a VW

Nosala.com

BeevDawg

Reaction
take a look at the post of my 1776 powered baja bug i have been building up, im almost done with it, look at the attachments in that thread.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=shop&Number=31201&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&part=all>http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=shop&Number=31201&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&part=all</A>