1968 c30 build

Mr.Clean

Reaction
Well a little ways into my build now so figured I'd post it so i could more easily track whats going on with it. Long ways to go still tho.

I picked up a 1968 chevy c30 cab which was resting on a 1974 2wd c10 shortbox frame. No motor or trans when I bought it. Just roller with interior. Truck was a retired Chevron Oil work truck that was used in Texas up until 1994 when it was sold at auction to the gentleman I bought it from in Oklahoma where it sat in a barn since 1995. He is the one that did the body swap(set the body on the frame, never made mounts).

Basic plans for the build. Turbo ls running on e85, backhalfed, full cage, linked 9", equal length beams up front, on 37"s glass front fenders and bedsides.

The truck is super solid with only 3 very small rust spots that I have to address.
The day I picked the truck up.

Took it right away and power washed it good and fell in love with the patina look. So once its done I'll be only putting a heavy coat of clear on the truck and keeping the patina.

drivetrain going in the truck is going to be a 02' 4.8ls with a 76mm turbo and I have a built 2wd TH400 behind it.

Got the motor and trans in right away had to build motor mounts and a new transmission and engine crossmember as both were missing off the chassis.

Tabs I machined for trans and engine mounts

Buddy got the fat trimmed out of my ls harness for me and made me a stand alone.

Got a equal length axel 9" for the rear that is going to be linked and the truck is getting back halfed. Tab zone 9" truss and then I built the upper link mounts. Still needs fully welded.

Wheels and tires for starters are just cheap steels and some used 37" bfg KM2's I've had laying around. Eventually will be looking for beadlocks and some bfg bajas

Cut the frame off behind the bed and started laying links out. Trailing arms need plating yet.

Making my trailing arm frame pivots(everything I make is made with a cut off wheel and hand drill. All I got no fancy plasma haha)

Starting on the cage.

started back half with rear axle at bump

axle at ride height

The last picture is as of today and how it is currently sitting. Lots of work left to do still. My beams are getting laser cut as I type this so As soon as the cage and back half work are done that is next on the list get the truck to be a full roller with suspension done. After that will be onto making the turbo ls fire for the first time.

Mr.Clean

Reaction
Not to much to update just spent a lot of time welding to get caught up before I go much further. Was able to get enough welded to get is strong enough to cycle the rear some.

Mr.Clean

Reaction
Bump

Ride height

droop

and my fiberglass showed up but unfortunately they send me the wrong fenders so still waiting on the correct fenders to get my front and engine cage built.

Mr.Clean

Reaction
trying to get the cab cage finished up and knock out the back half as well.

playing around with spare tire mount ideas. Eventually these will be more of paddle tire mounts as this truck with primarily see sand dunes.

Going to build my own fuel cell to fit the open space in between the tires in the center. Then build saddles to hold tires were they are in the pics

Sreidmx

Reaction
I'd ask yourself if you "need" dual spares.. That's a lot of weight hanging off the rear and somewhat high up.. Think pendulum, of you can move them so the mass of the truck is somewhat centralized it would ten to be more predictable when sliding around, less chance for snap oversteer and other weird characteristics.. Weight does weird poop when put out at the ends.

Slippery P

Reaction
Cool build, dig the patina.
Why the 4.8L?

JDDurfey

Reaction
Cause why not. And the fact I bought it complete harness and ecu for $200, and it's going to be boosted. Looking to hit 500hp to the tires no with no problems.

Since money doesn't grow on trees...I don't blame you if it will make the power you need and be reliable, why not.

Reaction
Now, if you can match that patina when you paint the 'glass. ;)

Mr.Clean

Reaction
I am going to try actually. I have some decent experience in painting cars, and I think I can pull it off.

Reaction
Don't touch that bumper and put dog dish hubcaps on it.

Mr.Clean

Reaction
Well haven't touched the truck until tonight in about 3 weeks. I'm am waiting on my order for my beams are being held up at the laser cutter waiting to be cut so once they get cut and welded they should get under the truck. Here is a picture of the beams I will be running Griffen Fab Works beams.

I did get some work done tonight. Lots of welding. Got most of the back half welded up. Good enough to check out droop and bump with the back half and the glass fenders.

RIDE HEIGHT

BUMP (although this is an unrealistic bump as more then likely the beams won't be able to clear the motor this low)

DROOP

Kyle D

Reaction
That's gonna be an awesome truck when you finish!! I love 67-72 bowties more than any other truck in the world. I had a 69 the same color blue as that with the same patina look but I was a street geek at the time and slammed/tubbed it for racing of the straight line style. I think it's great to use a boosted 4.8 too. Awesome build Mr Clean!

Mr.Clean

Reaction
Got the truck on my trailer today. First time the truck has moved off jack stands in months. Gonna be dropping the truck off at Griffen Fabworks Friday morning to get the beam work started. I backed the trailer back in the shop for now as i still have a few things I want to wrap up, but can't wait to see this thing with beams on it!