• Forum membership has its advantages....

1968 c30 build

Is radiator backwards? :confused: Looks like hose bibs facing front???

Mr.Clean

Updating this thread.

haven’t posted in quite some time. Truck has been finished and several things redone and rebuilt along the way. Have logged over 10,000 dirt miles with the truck in the last 3 years and is now going thru yet again another overhaul. Making some things better adding other things.
Going to do my best to update the thread and get it current so I can stay more up to date as I continue to dial this truck in.

Truck is still running the 4.8L I built for it. Still N/a with plans for turbo still once I stop changing and messing with everything else.

Attachments

Mr.Clean

More pictures from Getting the truck running and driving the first time with a few pics from the first couple times out with it.

Attachments

Mr.Clean

After running no bed and fiberglass the first year I finally found a color matching long bed so I decided to go back to the original steel front fenders and cut the bed down to fit the wheel base. Had to do some fender trimming in the front and cut out some of the inner support in the bed to get the tires to bump and clear lock to lock.

Attachments

Mr.Clean

Some of the random things I started machining for the truck. Which caused me to want to incorporate as many components i could make myself into the truck. To date I have my own machined parts in the motor, chassis, shocks, rear end, and interior.

Attachments

Mr.Clean

Some different shots from places I've been with the truck. To list Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Oklahoma Little Sahara Dunes, Glamis Sand Dunes, Pismo Sand Dunes, Laughlin desert NV, Arizona (some random place idk where).

Attachments

Mr.Clean

This brings me a little more current to date. I tore the truck apart winter 2019 (offseason for Michigan) to do a lot of changes to get this truck working better then it does now. Driving this truck as much as I have I know it can be better so this is me applying what I learned building it, then driving it, and now going back and making the changes I feel it needs to be better.
One of those things is the beams and spindles. For now I won’t get into the beams as the beams I have are as good as they are going to get and until I build new beams can’t fix the issues there (which Isn’t terrible, still capable beams)
For the knuckles(or uprights) I decided to do something about those. Being a dual vertical uniball beam design I have no adjustment for camber and have been running positive 1-3 degrees camber which I don’t want. ( causes the truck to have excessive body roll on the front end when pitching it hard into a corner. I’ve had to watch how I enter any corners because of this and doesn’t help build confidence when driving.) I could have lowered my ride height to correct to the camber I wanted but that would have chewed up a lot of my bump travel. Which is the opposite of what I want. Also I wanted to relocate my steering arm and be able to make my beams and drag links the same length. So I designed and then cut some new billet for some uprights. Got to take advantage of scrap material from work and machine run time on my lunches. So new uprights only cost my time. Uprights came out how I wanted and achieved the things I was after along with

Attachments

Mr.Clean

I’ve always run a single 2.5” ibp(internal bypass) coil over in each corner in the front. Because that’s what my budget allowed. I picked up some used 2.5” 3 tube bypasses that need some love a few months back. So cut the shock mounts off the beam and cage and started working on packaging c/o and bypass in each corner. Took a bit because of clearance issues on the drivers side. Brake master cylinder, steering shaft, steering pivoting ,and beam pivot all have me problems. Finally got them where I wanted them and have been working on finishing plating mounts and welding them in.

Attachments

Mr.Clean

Interior has always been pretty basic in the truck. Just the stuff you need to go. Now wanting to make it a little more finished I started building a wooden dash that uses billet aluminum mounts and also has a billet aluminum center section that holds a tablet. I’ve always wanted a truck with unlimited rocker switches so I put 25 of them in it. Plus a couple auto meter gauges. I still need to finish the dash build but as of now this is its current state. I have a rugged radio/ intercom setup to install yet and remove the old switches on the center council and replace that area with some cup holders(wife’s only request in the rebuild)

Attachments