1969 K20 PreRunner.

Rider993

Reaction
Looking at build my 69 k20 into either a class 8100 or class 8000. but had a few questions on what I can do for suspension. Can I do 4 link all the way around or does it have to remain stock? What do you recommend for spring if I have to stick to factory?

Bert is my name

Reaction
Get a score and b.i.t.d. rule book and build from that. Class 3/4 would probably be an easier class to build for . Not trying to sound like a dick. But the questions you are asking about springs tells me that you should probably go to a race or two and talk with racers that are running the classes you are interested in. Then go find a builder who knows how to build to that class. Deaver, atlas, north county spring , any decent spring shop can build springs to your spec. Spring rate should be calculated after you know the final weight of your truck. Not something to be done at the beginning of a build.

Bert is my name

Reaction
Start with a set of cheap off the shelf springs to set ride height and axle location. Build the rest of the truck. Go weigh each corner. Then go buy your custom springs. You will probably have to change mounts for both shocks and springs after purchase of new springs.

Reaction
Restore the 50 year old truck, sell it for top dollar on bringatrailer.com, then buy an existing truck.

You will be years and thousand$ ahead.

Here's a couple interesting "budget" truck builds.

We report, you decide. ;)

My D-I-Y Class 8 Chevy

New Doherty Motorsports class 8

Note the time spanned in those threads.

BTW, what's your budget?

Bert is my name

Reaction
The post above is the reason I'm selling my f100. I have the skill and resources to complete the truck. But I don't have the time energy or patience. Is rather be out in the dirt. Not rolling around in the dirt next to the garage. With a baby and school it's too much. I don't even want to restore it. Classic race cars are cool. Classic trucks that deserve restoration are cool. Old rotten trucks that don't deserve restoration make horrible candidates for off road. All the body work still has to be done correctly to build an off road truck. Go buy a ranger or f150. You can be racing by next year with one of those if your pockets are deep enough. I've learned that vintage or old school style off road builds usually means that the person doesn't have the cash flow to make it happen.

Rider993

Reaction
Restore the 50 year old truck, sell it for top dollar on bringatrailer.com, then buy an existing truck.

You will be years and thousand$ ahead.

Here's a couple interesting "budget" truck builds.

We report, you decide. ;)

My D-I-Y Class 8 Chevy

New Doherty Motorsports class 8

Note the time spanned in those threads.

BTW, what's your budget?
The trucks too far gone to be a restored truck and I’m not selling this thing as I’ve had it since I was 14.

Bert is my name

Reaction
Mine too. Need another truck with better sheet metal, drive train , frame and suspension to swap under mine. Oh and wiring plumbing and interior.

Bert is my name

Reaction
What i meant to say was i need another truck. Too far gone to restore is too far gone to build for offroad. The vibrations of offroad driving will tear apart a good cab. Too far gone is too far gone. Good luck.

Rider993

Reaction
Thanks I’ve already got another cab I’ve restored that I was gonna use. The frame on this one though is straight and sturdy.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Are you going to race it? If you are, start with something more practical. Long bed is not great for wheelbase needs, Straight axle up front really sucks for wheel travel. And reality is, it will never be competitive in any class that allows 2wd. If your desire is to build something that works better in the dirt and can go kind of fast, you are OK. But as a racer, this will be a bottomless pit of never ending hell.

Reaction
The trucks too far gone to be a restored truck and I’m not selling this thing as I’ve had it since I was 14.
Auction it anyway. Along with the cab, or separately, it's a popular era model (67-72).

You don't want a garage queen.

Again, what's your budget?

BTW, 11 years is but a moment to an old like me. I have socks older than that. ;) I can't help but think of the 5-year-old interviewed on TV: "I've never seen anything like it IN MY WHOLE LIFE!"

Last edited:

Bert is my name

Reaction
I've seen those trucks as hacked together piles of bondo and rust fetch 15 grand. That buys a whole lot of well built prerunner.

Rider993

Reaction
Are you going to race it? If you are, start with something more practical. Long bed is not great for wheelbase needs, Straight axle up front really sucks for wheel travel. And reality is, it will never be competitive in any class that allows 2wd. If your desire is to build something that works better in the dirt and can go kind of fast, you are OK. But as a racer, this will be a bottomless pit of never ending hell.
Thanks for the input and from the sounds of it that truck just won’t work so I might just start restoring the old thing, or do something else with it.

Attachments

Rider993

Reaction
Auction it anyway. Along with the cab, or separately, it's a popular era model (67-72).

You don't want a garage queen.

Again, what's your budget?

BTW, 11 years is but a moment to an old like me. I have socks older than that. ;) I can't help but think of the 5-year-old interviewed on TV: "I've never seen anything like it IN MY WHOLE LIFE!"
Haven’t really looked at a budget yet was thinking just in cage work I’d be around $3200 or more

Bert is my name

Reaction
Those frames need a lot more than cage work to hold up. Playing and boxing are needed first . Especially around the steering box. If a cage is welded directly to an unreinforced fram the frame will tear and crack at the welds.

Bert is my name

Reaction
Restore or resto-mod the thing. A late model drive train (read l.s. or 8.1) nice axles and some off road design springs with decent shocks would make a really nice driver that you can enjoy year round and still do some moderate wheeling and make a badass tow rig for the toys.

Rider993

Reaction
Restore or resto-mod the thing. A late model drive train (read l.s. or 8.1) nice axles and some off road design springs with decent shocks would make a really nice driver that you can enjoy year round and still do some moderate wheeling and make a badass tow rig for the toys.
ya too bad I’ve got a tow rig maybe ls swap and 2wd convert it?

Old School 6-7-8

Reaction
Thanks for the input and from the sounds of it that truck just won’t work so I might just start restoring the old thing, or do something else with it.
Don't waste your money racing, just fix it up or restore it. "Drive it and enjoy it....don't destroy it!"1969 Chevy 4x4-1.jpg1969 Chevy 4x4-2.jpg1969 Chevy 4x4-3.jpg