1974 Jeep J-10...Anyone Know This Truck?

John N

Reaction
Hi all, I'm new here. I am a former racer in the old Mid-Atlantic 4 Wheel Drive Association in the '80's. Mostly a sand dragster, but ran some motocross, too.

My son just bought this truck and we're trying to find out if it has any real history or just a retro paint job.

It's had some suspension work, engine work on the 401, has duel gas tanks and the Valvoline paint job. In shadow adhesive it still says "DOUG" on the driver's door.The interior is pretty beat stock stuff.
Thanks in advance...

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Not a race truck, but maybe a chase/prerun truck. Doug could be Doug Robinson. Jeep racer from way back of note.

TROPHYSEDAN

Reaction
DARREN and DOUG YORK out of INDIO

Bryan Racing

Reaction
Got any contact information for Doug York. I'd like to see if he could tell me any history on this truck.
Thanks...
I have known the York family for 45 years.I never knew them to have a jeep truck,they were all ford guy's in racing and their business as they were sponsored by Mike Burn's Fiesta Ford.Darren is no longer with us and Doug York is not out and about much.I know Darren's father in law ( Doug Hunt) had a jeep truck possibly painted this way but I lost contact with him when they moved to Midway Utah.If it was Doug Hunts then there is some history there,in that he bought his truck from Clarence Shook,the founder of Rancho suspension.

John N

Reaction
Thanks for the info...that'd be some interesting history. It does have an aftermarket suspension that was probably pretty good for it's day. Lots of thin leaves, limiting straps and clears 33's well. We're getting into working on it. The 401 came out today and will be going to a local shop to be checked out, rebuilt if needed or just correct the oiling/valve noise issues. The interior has been pulled so the cab can be brought back to good condition.

La Tijereta

Reaction
Here is Darren and Doug running the 92' Parker 400...

1992.Parker. 724.York.21x.jpg

John N

Reaction
That's pretty much the same paint job we have on the J-10. The hood is all white now, but you can see the decal residue of the "V". I know it wasn't a race truck, but I'm just the curious type, trying to figure out if it has any real history. We know it came from Texas and from Arizona before that. We have the name of the last owner, in Texas, who owned it from 2009 to 2016. The 401 was rebuilt recently, somebody just missed something...we think.

Bryan Racing

Reaction
That's pretty much the same paint job we have on the J-10. The hood is all white now, but you can see the decal residue of the "V". I know it wasn't a race truck, but I'm just the curious type, trying to figure out if it has any real history. We know it came from Texas and from Arizona before that. We have the name of the last owner, in Texas, who owned it from 2009 to 2016. The 401 was rebuilt recently, somebody just missed something...we think.
For what it's worth, when Doug bought it from Clarence it was the original paint,what I would call Rootbeer brown.Doug was the 2nd owner as Clarence owned it new as he was the owner of a Jeep dealership in Long Beach ca. called Rancho Jeep thats how he and his sons Gene and Keith came up with the name when they started Rancho suspension.Doug has a son that lives in Phoenix az.not sure if he had the truck at any time.Doug raced with my dad in the 60's and early 70's then he pitted for me and thats how Darren got into off-road racing,his first two races were riding with me.Your post has brought back a ton of memories.If I think of more clues I'll chime in.

John N

Reaction
Thanks, that's a lot of great information. We believe that someone named Jim Kelly had it at some point. His name appears on some of the paperwork and inside of the valve covers.
This truck has been around, but definitely needs some work to bring it back.

Doug Hunt

Reaction
I bought this truck from Clarence Shook in 1980 for $4,000 We lived in Palm Desert Ca at the time and we were
building a cabin in the mountains and needed a truck to haul building materials. We also used it for vacations and it has been all over the western states. Our son-in-law Darren York, Day Racing, began off road racing. His father Doug York was his co driver, and I became his chase truck. It was brown and white and he had it painted to match the race truck. National Spring built it up to carry 1,500 lbs, so I could carry spare parts such as transmission, rear end, springs, tools, floor jacks, etc. This truck went up and down the Baja for races and pre runs, I never counted the times. It also had a cab height camper shell. It was a great truck and so much fun to drive. When I bought it it was full time four wheel drive and it cornered so sweet. We sold it to a neighbor in 1992, his daughter drove it to school and then they moved about a year or so later. I amazed it's in Virginia. I can have my wife
look for some pictures of before and after if you like. When I rebuilt the engine we bored it 30 over. Edelbrock cam and hooker headers. It had a Detroit locker. Doug Hunt, Midway Utah PS Feel free to ask anything else and if you find out how it got to Virginia from California let us know.

John N

Reaction
I bought this truck from Clarence Shook in 1980 for $4,000 We lived in Palm Desert Ca at the time and we were
building a cabin in the mountains and needed a truck to haul building materials. We also used it for vacations and it has been all over the western states. Our son-in-law Darren York, Day Racing, began off road racing. His father Doug York was his co driver, and I became his chase truck. It was brown and white and he had it painted to match the race truck. National Spring built it up to carry 1,500 lbs, so I could carry spare parts such as transmission, rear end, springs, tools, floor jacks, etc. This truck went up and down the Baja for races and pre runs, I never counted the times. It also had a cab height camper shell. It was a great truck and so much fun to drive. When I bought it it was full time four wheel drive and it cornered so sweet. We sold it to a neighbor in 1992, his daughter drove it to school and then they moved about a year or so later. I amazed it's in Virginia. I can have my wife
look for some pictures of before and after if you like. When I rebuilt the engine we bored it 30 over. Edelbrock cam and hooker headers. It had a Detroit locker. Doug Hunt, Midway Utah PS Feel free to ask anything else and if you find out how it got to Virginia from California let us know.
Doug thanks for the information, sorry it took so long to reply. I don't come on here much. My son would love to have any old pictures you might be able to dig out. The truck came to Virginia from Texas through EBay, maybe that's where you old neighbor moved with it. The 360 has been built for it and in our garage. The body shop is almost done, it's probably coming home this Friday. Then the reassembly begins...my son is not a patient person....he wants it running last week.

I'll try to message you my direct email, if you can find any pictures.

John N

Reaction
IMG_0078.JPG
Doug thanks for the information, sorry it took so long to reply. I don't come on here much. My son would love to have any old pictures you might be able to dig out. The truck came to Virginia from Texas through EBay, maybe that's where you old neighbor moved with it. The 360 has been built for it and in our garage. The body shop is almost done, it's probably coming home this Friday. Then the reassembly begins...my son is not a patient person....he wants it running last week.

I'll try to message you my direct email, if you can find any pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

John N

Reaction
Just a small update, we're slowly getting going with the reassembly.

Plus, we've been in touch with Doug and Carol Hunt. They were great and managed to find and send us some pictures of the truck as they got it and with its race support paint. They owned the truck from 1978, when they bought it from Clarence Shook, to about 1992 when they sold it to a neighbor.