On Topic 1975 Power Wagon Prerunner build

Mudd-Flapp

Reaction
I first bought the truck from my uncle back in 2014, it was a truck used on a potato farm in sulphate springs Idaho (near a damn my uncle worked at for the corps of engineers) he brought it down to Arkansas and I bought it basically as a toy, I mean what 14 year old doesn’t want an old creamy power wagon to play with. Before that I was already a mopar guy, my dads best friend is a die hard power wagon guy he’s always had one since I’ve known him.

When I first got it, I drove it around and more or less let it sit. When I turned 16 I did some work on it, got it back started and pretty much fixed the neglect.

As I Got older I really got after it, I started welding in my metal shop class, and eventually my junior year worked for an old alcoholic chainsmoker diesel mechanic who really brought out my mechanical side. Him and my grandpa really made me want to learn and teach myself. When I saved up some money I bought a carb, Intake and headers, just to give it some more thump. One summer night after 10 hours of changing wheel seals and pulling motors on log trucks I decided I wanted to paint it green with a white top like my dads high school truck, a 68 Chevy Cheyenne. Anyway I raffle canned it in our backyard and let me tell you, it looks like poop, but I like it and I really don’t care cause it looks good from about 15 foot away.

At the end of my junior year I decided to build full on Prerunner high clearance bumpers, and since I was taking college welding classes at my local Votech, and I was a wiz with a mig machine, I welded it up and made it look the part.
Also every part (with the exception of the stainless) was hand cut by me with a torch, the only thing I used a grinder for was to clean up the metal before I welded. (This is cocky, but I’m damn good with a torch)

My goal was to make it like the old school Rod Hall trucks that were just beefed up with as many shocks as they could fit.

There’s some of my inspiration. We refreshed the motor with all new gaskets and a Comp 268H Cam, lifters and full timing set. The 650 carb, 268 cam, and 2.5 inch exhaust with super 10s should really flow and be good on the street and the dirt.
there’s me and my buddies yanking the motor.
us redoing the heads

Hopefully I can get some money saved and buy a set of either Deaver or Alcan springs mad then run resivoir bilsteins or maybe dual tuff country (since they’re fake rancho) shocks at all four corners. I plan on taking the bed off when I swap the springs so I can build a tube shock hoop that replaces the other one and runs up about 2 inches through the bed floor, so I can run bigger shocks. More fluid=less easily heated oil. I figure the soft mid travel springs with about 35s will be good for pretty minimal rock crawling in all the rock pits we have out here in southwest Arkansas. The springs should do really good in all the other trail riding and logging roads the natural state has to offer. I really just wanted to make something I could Baja across our fields with and ramp water bars in, but I figure 12 inch travel packs should really flex good on rocks and other trails. When I get the spring packs and 35s I plan to regear with 4.10 with a lunchbox locker in the rear, and some kind of limited slip in the front just for the off camber stuff and rocks.

When I throw the motor back in I’ll take it to the gravel pit and tell y’all how it does in low range. Anyway I just wanted to show y’all what I’ve been building, I’ve never really posted anything on here but I’ve read other peoples threads and y’all helped me every step of the way. So thank y’all, and I know I’m just a dumb 18 year old kid but I know a lot, and I’m already an up and coming back yard fabricator, and a damn good welder. I hope my skills grow and I’m able to progress this build and progress my trades. Anyway money is kinda tight right now since I’m a senior andI’m saving money to go to Cat diesel school in the fall, so if y’all have any low buck tips and tricks for suspension, motor, or anything else, please tell me I’d be verry appreciative. Thanks for reading my long rambling post, hope y’all enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudd-Flapp

Reaction
Thanks for the encouragement, I was hoping someone would kinda push me in the right direction on how to get the leaf springs dialed for the time being while I save for deavers or alcans. Any kinda help to get it to flex or cycle better would be a step in the right direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jon coleman

Reaction
longer leafs are better, run a flex shackle or lengthen stock one .then junk yard leaf pack it, mixx & match.thats what i did when iwas broke.shox iused to run wear a duel shock part number for factory blazer duel front .lighter valving.motor on....

Josh 8

Reaction
^^^^^ agreed ^^^^^ with that!