• Forum membership has its advantages....

1976 Funco "ST"

luvbaja2

I have a 1976 Funco that started life as a two seat car. It was stretched and turned into a tandem. I have been working on it for the last few months and plan to race it at the 2017 NORRA race. My goal is to try to do a build thread as it progresses. I'm new to the posting thing so be gentle. I have raced NORRA in a 1969 Meyers Tow'd, 1968 F-100 Class 8 truck, and last year in a RZR. Looking forward to next year.

Attachments

Last edited:

Quailhunter

Covert Troll.
Very cool !

luvbaja2

So I signed up the first day for NORRA 2017 in the 1976 stretched Funco Bandido I am restoring. I always thought I wanted a tandem car until I sat in the backseat with my feet wrapped around the driver, looking at nothing but the back of his helmet.. I couldn't ask anyone to do that! So there was enough room to move the drivers seat left and the passenger seat right. And I ended up with a "staggered tandem". Not sure if there was ever anything like it? I've been buying cars, tires and wheels, parts and pieces, the last few months to make this thing work.
The car is entered in the Legend buggy class #4, as it was raced with that number along with #16, which was already taken. I have pictures and video of the car racing in the late 70's. The original owner/driver was Roy Kozlowski, who did all his own work in his garage, and modified the original Funco frame using a gas welder and all his wife's wire hangers! I am in contact with his son who has provided me with some pictures and backstory.
I will upload photos to follow the progress. Frame was sandblasted, rust cut out, areas reinforced due unknown interior rust. Alum side panels were pop riveted into the frame and holes drilled though the frame for attachment points. I have added stiffeners and gussets where I thought they were necessary. Any constructive criticism is welcomed. Bruce
image (2).jpg
IMG_1480.JPG
IMG_1478.JPG
IMG_1478.JPG

Attachments

scary fast hummer

Cool! I am doing a tandem buggy in the pre-runner buggy group. I will send a pic when i get it back from the fabricator with seats all mounted down. Rear seat is 10" higher than the front so he can see over my head!

luvbaja2

Here is the update on the Funco "Staggered Tandem". I've been adding parts and pieces slowly. I'm trying to get all the brackets, braces, gusssets, etc welded in before I take it all down and paint the frame. Worked on the front end and have it pretty much ready to go. 6" wider beam, king kong spindles and arms (stock length) Single 8" or 10" Bilstein shock. Rear is 3 x 3 arms with triple Bilstein shocks. Eliminated the original shock mounts for 8" shocks and fabbed up some new mounts for 12" Almost a roller now. Alum. floor and side panels tomorrow.
IMG_2236.JPG
IMG_2236.JPG
IMG_2237.JPG
IMG_2237.JPG
IMG_2273.JPG
IMG_2382.JPG
IMG_2383.JPG

Attachments

Bro_Gill

Looks like a 5" wider than stock beam. Bolts that hold the steering rack are 6" apart. One thing to pay attention to is track width front and rear. Withe the much wider rear tires on most buggies like yours, rear track width gets much wider than the front if you don't watch numbers. Makes the cars not want to turn without a lot of body roll. Example is Front width + 6" wider beam with 2 7.00 series width front tires and stock width arms is at 20" total. Rear with 3x3s and 2 10.50 series wide tires is 27", so the rear ends up wider than the front.

luvbaja2

Thanks Bro Gill. If I understand correctly you want to keep the front and rear track width close to the same. Is there an allowable differential that wont effect the handling?

Bro_Gill

Most factory road cars come with about 1' wider in front. But, yeah, try not to have the rear too much wider than the front.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Think he might mean " '' " instead of " '." ;)

LantanaTX

Isn't this the tandem that was in the movie "Dirt"? Welcome to the Legend Buggy class! See you at NORRA!

luvbaja2

Yes it is. Talked to the son of the original owner, Roy Koslowski, and he gave a little history of the car. I think that clip in the dirt movie is from the 1976 Baja International (500)? I bought the motor from you for this car.

LantanaTX

Yes it is. Talked to the son of the original owner, Roy Koslowski, and he gave a little history of the car. I think that clip in the dirt movie is from the 1976 Baja International (500)? I bought the motor from you for this car.
Yes, it was good talking to you. Yes, that was the 1976 Baja 500. Our two Cars will look like a reinactment of the movie! The guy who overalled the 1976 Baja 500 will be racing with us in Pioneer Buggy.

Start watching at 6:20 your car is at 6:40

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LantanaTX

No, I don't think our Chenowth will be done so we will probably race the Funco.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

scary fast hummer

Don't want to hijack this thread but if you are interested in tandem cars, this is what I will be driving in the M1K this year. We are running in the pre-runner cate gory. Used to be a 4 seater that I have converted to fore and aft tandem. My co-driver is a retired Royal Navy helo navigator, I am retired US Navy, and this works for us. His seat is 10" higher than mine which gives him complete view over my head (which, if I am not listening to him, he can whack to give directions!) Subaru 2.0 turbo power gives it plenty of juice. Pic is from New Years in Lucerne Valley. I have to admit that I like sitting in the middle of the car. The cable shifter is up on the dash a short grab away from the steering wheel. Still have things to work out but it is coming along well. Really looking forward to rally racing in Mexico. If you have advice, comments, questions or bad dad jokes, please send them to me!

IMG_6188.jpg

Attachments