1981 SCORE Baja 1000 ..Who was there

La Tijereta

RDC Crypto
Some interesting facts found in the notes..
Mark Stahl ..the original "Ironman" winning again in class 1
Jeff MacPherson running out front in class 1..
Klawitter's first class 5 Baja 1000 race, before going on to dominate the class later
Ron Bishop winning class 38, then being DQd for using air support...

La Tijereta

RDC Crypto
Beerman..
You had more to celebrate in 85'....

Attachments

• 1985.Steve Sourapas. OA Winner.jpg
    1985.Steve Sourapas. OA Winner.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 787

PAB

40's rock!
RDC Crypto
I was there, this was the last year I watched from the sidelines. The next year I rode with my Dad.

In this 81 event the results show my Dad lost to Mike Leon Sr., the creator of Mikes Sky Rancho by 6 minutes and 3 seconds. Bummer!

Rory

Crayola Killer
RDC Crypto
Website
www.racers-only.com
Interesting.........

Rolf Tibblin #107 on the incident with the motorcyclist: "I just ran over him. The horn didn't work, and he was in front of me. I tried to pass him, and he crashed right in front of me. The bike went one way, and he went the other. Instaed of slamming on the brakes, i let the car go straight ahead. I ran over his lower legs, right above the knee. I thought I had really hurt him. I was scared as hell. So I go back to find him, backed up, and here is this guy up, kicking his motorcycle. He yelled at me, 'I'm all right. Take off. I'm fine.'"

pedal2metal

RDC Crypto
My dad (Bobby Neth) and uncle (Tom Neth) raced their #199 1-1600 to 4th overall that year- still the highest overall finish by a 1600 car at the 1000, to my knowledge anyway. My dad was the fourth 4-wheel vehicle, on the road, to reach the halfway point at Punta Prieta, and they figured that at one point, they were up to 2nd overall on corrected time when the fuel pump went south less than 100 miles from the finish. In his exhausted dilerium, my uncle forgot the instructions my dad had given him that all he needed to do was flick the light switch on the dash and the fuel pump would re-start (my dad had wired the two things onto the same switch at the last minute). More than an hour later, a spectator came by and helped figure out the problem, sending my uncle on his way. At the finish, had they not lost an hour, they'd have finished less than half an hour out of first overall. It's still one of their favorite stories!

Will_Higman

Dakar Finisher
RDC Crypto
Website
www.willhigman.com
Here are a few pics from the race... I was there as meat in the seat in a Class 2 car, also we fielded the first Reliable Lumber sponsored entry with a Class 9 car driven by Ray Croll and Mitch Mitchell.

So many memories…. Looking at all the names throughout the notes it’s amazing how many of the competitors that I am still friends with!

Thanks for posting the race notes.:)

Attachments

• Baja 1000 1981-1.jpg
    Baja 1000 1981-1.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 675
  • Baja 1000 1981-2.jpg
    Baja 1000 1981-2.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 709
  • Baja 1000 1981-3.jpg
    Baja 1000 1981-3.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 631
  • Baja 1000 1981-4.jpg
    Baja 1000 1981-4.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 604
  • Baja 1000 1981-5.jpg
    Baja 1000 1981-5.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 507

La Tijereta

RDC Crypto
Thanks..
Posting the notes was something I thought would bring back some memories.. It was one of only 40 years of racing down through Baja.. Been there since 1977

Dancin Pedistals > Check out the race notes #88/ 89 about your Dad's and Uncle's run.. Great story!

Old School 8

RDC Crypto
1981 was my first adventure into Baja. I was signed up as a driver for the Lowell Arnold class 8, which DNFed in the pine forest (tree head-on). We then became another chase for the class 4 Honcho Jeep, which also DNFed around rm 500.
There is always something special about one's first trip to Baja.

Mark_Miller

RDC Crypto
Thank You for posting that! That was my first win in a Baja 1000, And you see it was on a Husqvarna 125 for 5th overall. It brought back great memorys of my early days. in case you didn't read the file, Dan Smith and I were on the Husqvarna team.

I'll be Racing in Morocoo at end of the month in the Race Touareg 2, long way from the 1981 Baja 1000....

ML Racer

RDC Crypto
Here are a few pics from the race... I was there as meat in the seat in a Class 2 car, also we fielded the first Reliable Lumber sponsored entry with a Class 9 car driven by Ray Croll and Mitch Mitchell.

So many memories…. Looking at all the names throughout the notes it’s amazing how many of the competitors that I am still friends with!

Thanks for posting the race notes.:)

Hey Will, is that Ray Bates with Mitch putting his hand around his neck? Another name from the "Good Old Days" past!

Will_Higman

Dakar Finisher
RDC Crypto
Website
www.willhigman.com
Hey Will, is that Ray Bates with Mitch putting his hand around his neck? Another name from the "Good Old Days" past!

Randy

Yes that is Ray Bates... One of my favorites!:)

I just talked to him a couple of weeks ago and he is doing fine. You probably don't know but he was involved in a really bad motorcycle accident this year and is very lucky to still be with us....

He is still doing his machining business and looking at life a little differently now. He also told me that he is going to sell the 10 car that he has been building over the last couple years. It has an Xtrac transmission and an Ecotec motor to go with it.

:D

OldStroppeTeam

RDC Crypto
My wife and I were there, chasing Manny and Bill Baldwin in the Couriers I helped build at Stroppe's in 1978. Manny had gotten the cars ,a 5th wheel trailer and F350 from Firestone. I had just moved to Parker,so I introduced myself to Manny, told him I knew a lot about the cars,and would be willing to help him. Wow . MEMORIES !!
Thanks !!

FABRICATOR

RDC Crypto
Nice find. Things were quite a bit more interesting back then. Lots of innovation and a wide array of personalities.

200MPHTape

RDC Crypto
I was there pitting for the Pfeiffer brothers and Paul Eddy and a couple of others I just can't remember thier names. We pitted 9 bikes just out of Punta Prieta, Kent gave us a location by miles in from Punta Prieta. When we got there it was up on top of a hill no shade dusty as heck, so we went back a couple of miles just before a water crossing. In those days they ran two strokes, when he came in his first words were "IS THIS $&#*% 18.2 MILES IN?" we dumped his fuel and off he went. All 9 bikes came threw and our job was done and we started to party waiting for the cars. I remember Larry Ragland coming in with 3 flat tires, being a bike pit the biggest hammer we had was 2lb'er. His rears, the rims were smashed down over the lugs and I just about knocked my self out when the hammer bounced off the Centerlines. We got boulders out of the stream bottom and beat the rims enough to get the lugs off. We took the one good front and his spare was a front and placed them on the rear and put the rims up front and sent him on his way with a "GOOD-LUCK"!
Thanks for the memories everyone!