1986 Ford Ranger Buildup

oorracing

Since I'm new (Kinda) to posting here, I figured I'd show the story of my trucks life.
(Sorry if it's lengthy, but it's hard to document 5 years and try and make it short.. Haha:rolleyes:)

I bought this thing back in 2004 (freshmen year of high school) off Ebay for $3000. Obviously it wasn't the nicest thing around, but it had alot of good parts and was relatively worth it.

It had a bad trans, so we fixed that and used and abused the truck a few trips.. Till it fell apart. The bedside mounts broke off, horrible welds on the truck, and a severe lack of triangulation. Rather then band-aid her back together, we cut it all off for a fresh start.
Me and my dad built the truck ourselves in our driveway. I designed the cage layout and he did most of the bending..

We decided on running an external B-pillar (I'm 6'4" tall, so it helps).

These are the rear shock mounts my dad made from solid 1.5" Chromoly.

Fast forward a few months and here's the completed cagework.

I drove the truck like this after it was done for quite awhile as my Daily driver and weekend toy. It has many dezert trips on it, from spectating races, to pitting at races, to the Lucerne to Barstow with the guys from Dezertranger.com, to just random weekends.

Random pics;

All the while I had slowly been stockpiling parts for operation redo: "Round DOS".

Specs when completed will be:
-Bumper to bumper cage
-1" Kingpin Equal length front end with 3.0"x14" coilovers/4" hydro bump (not using the beams in the pics)
-Deaver pack with 3.0"x14" Finned bodies and 4" hydro bump
-35" Goodyear GSA's on 15" Alcoa Ford rims Powdercoated in Black MetalFlake
-2.3l motor with a mild cam, and equal length header Also %100 Smog Legal
-Trussed 9" rear with (i think) Chromo 31 spline axles and 5:43's with a limited slip
-Factory dash with heater (no AC), factory door panels, full carpet, and LOADS of sound deadener. Also working on a radio system with Ipod connect and a 10" sub for tunes. :)

Overall goal is to have a semi-luxurious prerunner that is super reliable, street legal, simple, and easy to maintain. The list of "To-Do's" is long, but we are slowly plugging away at her.. And All on a In-n-Out Burger budget.

oorracing

Haha yup it's on DR! like a 9pg thread on there full of drama and nonsense. :p

And I wish I owned one.. Last year my manager made into the 6 digits.... AT A FAST FOOD PLACE! I was shocked.. haha. Not to mention his wife works at another store, so they are pretty well off.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Looks pretty damn good for your first build. It'll be interesting watching this come along.

And In-N-Out is the highest paying of all the fast food franchises. All the managers make it into the 6 figures.

oorracing

I do have a video of her back when we finished the cage. The rear shocks weren't dialed at all and they packed up like they were leaving the country. :p

But at Christmas I got a new Canon video camera so I can't wait to finish her up and go testing and dial her in.

It should be pretty close right off the line though because I'm going with a .18/.10 up front and a .12/.08 rear.. With flutter stacks on the compression side F/R to help with the DD aspect of the truck.

oorracing

Figured I'd bump this thread.

Whole new front end. I built my own Kingpin beams. Using some radius arms I had to re-work that I got a deal on form Keith S. Engine cage getting there slowly. Just finished my radius arm brackets. Still using the Giant motorsports beam mounts. Big fan of those brackets..
As for the interior, going to build my own dash/center console someday. Right now I'm just trying to get the truck driveable.
Lastly for the rear suspension, I'm going to convert my shocks to 3.0x18" coilovers and do a CORR style link setup with the shocks on the axle and leaned forward. I have it drawn up in autocad and it's cycling 23" bumped/strapped.

Attachments

mikeyfrombc

what make where the old beams you had in the truck ?? i should be subscribing to this thread , my DD is a 86 extra cab that i plan to prerunner when it gets retired down the road .

oorracing

It had stock bent beams with a 2.5x12" coilover. I don't recommended that setup.
After that, I got some BajaShop equal length kingpin beams. They hey same flaws, so I build my own.

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
what make where the old beams you had in the truck ?? i should be subscribing to this thread , my DD is a 86 extra cab that i plan to prerunner when it gets retired down the road .
Get beams from an old 70s f-100 the 7/8 king pin is just fine on a ranger, and has a 5x5.5 bolt pattern. and they weigh WAY less than one ton beams (1inch king pin)

the build looks awesome!

oorracing

Get beams from an old 70s f-100 the 7/8 king pin is just fine on a ranger, and has a 5x5.5 bolt pattern. and they weigh WAY less than one ton beams (1inch king pin)

the build looks awesome!
I don't believe the spindles are front steer though.. Our 71 wasn't.
Thanks by the way. :)

oorracing

Long overdue thread bump..
New front end will be bumped and strapped at 19" with a 3.0x14" Coilover alongside a 2.0x4" Hydro. The truck is sitting near-ride height and will have 9.75" up travel and the rest down.

New parts:
Camburg Housing.. Going to get Blitz 2.5" hubs, havent decided if 35 spline of 40 spline yet.
I have 5 pairs of springs for my 3.0" coilovers. two pairs of 2.0x4" Bumps, custom purple tie down straps, 50" Rigid LED bar, and many more goodies waiting to go on. I have pretty much everything for the truck waiting to go on.. Waiting on tubing/funds and mostly time.

Dezertpilot

truck is coming along, looks good! Should be that much more of a fun(ctional) truck when it is done. Looks to be some quality fabwork on there.

D_ROOTS

Looking awesome! Any reason for running the Blitz hubs over Camburg?

oorracing

truck is coming along, looks good! Should be that much more of a fun(ctional) truck when it is done. Looks to be some quality fabwork on there.
Thank you for the kind words sir. I'm trying my best with this truck and hoping to enhance my skills as much as possible. It feels good to have my efforts get noticed :)

Interesting radius arms. . .particularly where they mount to the beams.

Do you have any more pic's of them???
I'll snap some more of the driverside radius arm as I build it.

Looking awesome! Any reason for running the Blitz hubs over Camburg?
A few different reasons. One being pricing, seeing as my work is Blitz's main dealer or whatever you want to call it. Reason two is that the truck I currently help prep/chase/pit for runs Blitz hubs so if needed I can always pull a hub off my truck and put it on theirs (Highly doubtful though.. but always good to have spares available) Also I want to run the same hubs front/rear with a bolt on front snout. I do not believe Camburg makes a bolt on 2.25" snout whereas Blitz makes a bolt on 2.5" snout. And they also make Kingpin spindles as well.