1987 Riverside Off Road Championships

Mojave Traveler

Reaction
30 years ago today a 3 day weekend of fun and racing at the 15th annual Score Riverside Off Road Championships began. The weather was hot and the racing was awesome.

s-l225.jpg

2ca0a046e11bf573a54997574d1cf5b7.jpg

Last edited:

TROPHYSEDAN

Reaction
Thank you so much for posting these.

Mojave Traveler

Reaction
Thank you so much for posting these.
You're welcome! I hope they give everyone who wasn't there, or doesn't remember, a better perspective on how great our sport used to be.

y2kbaja

Reaction
I was there and raced it, Quad #6.

wheeli

Funny Guy from the North, eh
Reaction
Ahhhh ya the original world championships and landrush start those were amazing weekends right in the heart of the world center of offroad racing. we trucked down from canada in 85/86/87 racing class 44 odysseys absolute epic times. I remember being in a drivers meeting in 87 and suddenly realized i was standing between the Unsers and Rick Mears and i just started shaking lol....really glad i came across this thread/vid thx for sharing

AZFR8TRAIN

Reaction
Always wished I could have gone to one of the riverside championship races I did how ever go to the one SCORE championship in Phoenix after riverside was shut down I know many cant that because unfortunately there were not many of us spectators there.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

crafty

Reaction
I was there from the age of 1 through 7. Don’t remember much but my dad has a bunch of pictures.

harleys dad

Reaction
Raced it in 51600 engine problems stopped us

Reaction
Ahhhh ya the original world championships
Nope, the original off road world championships were held in the Santa Ana River bottom lands near what was Pedley, several years before MT started SCORE in 1973, and kicked off the RIR event.

But '87 at RIR was a hoot to boot. And 24 hours a day a party. Hot cars, hot racing, hot days and hotter nights.

How did we make it to Monday?

Broncodawg

Reaction
Just too cool, thanks for posting! Shaucoffer's 55, a Ranchero, Camaro and all the F100s racing with the big boys made my Turkey day!

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Wendell, GRT's car was a Hi-jumper. May have had the rear suspension hung by Kreisler since they knew each other, but the chassis was from San Fernando Buggy Center.

wheeli

Funny Guy from the North, eh
Reaction
Does anyone remember that yellow class1 buggy withe a v8 and abig sprintcar wing on the roof ??? I think Rick Mears drove it a few times.was crazy fast along tompsons ridge

Reaction
Roger drove it in '87, IIRC. Ate transmissions, if I remember right. Think Roger made it to north end of Thompson's Ridge on first lap and went out.

germancarsonly

Reaction
Nope, the original off road world championships were held in the Santa Ana River bottom lands near what was Pedley, several years before MT started SCORE in 1973, and kicked off the RIR event.
That river bed race was called "Brian Chuchua's Four Wheel Drive Grand Prix" Not the World Championships.
Carl Jackson won it two years in a row with a fairly stock 4 cylinder Jeep CJ5. He won this Bronco one year and the other time he won he got a new V-6 CJ5 I think
Carl Jackson 1967.jpg

Wendell #527

Reaction
Wendell, GRT's car was a Hi-jumper. May have had the rear suspension hung by Kreisler since they knew each other, but the chassis was from San Fernando Buggy Center.
. Wow. I got rid of it many years ago but I was told it was a Raceco. The red one in my pics posted is a Hi Jumper chassis? I got hold of GRT and he said he raced it some and used it as a pre runner for quite a while. He wasn’t real talkative though so I didn’t get many details. Interesting to learn about it. Damn. I wish I hadn’t sold it. Thanks

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Yes, I think it is Jack Wayre or close to that. He had a very nice 8 truck Ford as well.

y2kbaja

Reaction
[QUOTE="How did we make it to Monday?[/QUOTE]
My family went to Riverside since the very first one in 1973. I remember one of the years having motor home issues on the way home on top of the all weekend party my parents attended, so either drunk or hung over, but driving to my dad's work on the way home and dropping him off from the RV. That had to be the longest Monday for a construction worker.