1988 RaceCo - change of plans

9one8racing

Reaction
Well I was on the fence about pulling parts off of her to get my class 5 build rolling or leave it as is and race it. My kids both race (pewee dirt bike and RZR 170 with AZOP) and I want them to learn about wrenching, fabrication and racing a big car, so I picked up a 5 car chassis to start building. A good friend of mine from Oregon essentially gave me the RaceCo and wanted me to do something with it since it's been sitting in a shop for the past 10+ years. After taking possession of the car, seeing how well put together it is, and some advice from some people that are smarter than I am, I have decided to keep the car together. And I want to race it!

So for now, I plan on prepping it with the help of the kids and finding a race in Baja to run it. Any suggestions on smaller races, preferably in San Felipe area, that I could run her? I cant run it in class 12 due to the engine size. I could run it in a vintage class but I'm not sure what races other than NORRA are running a vintage class. I don't want to run in sportsman class just because there's no way in hell the car would be competitive, might be worth the fun though.

Specs on the car from what I know or was told:
Dry sump 2332 motor with TF-1 aluminum case stamped 001 (prototype)
Dual Webber intake
Bus box with all Weddle internals and a locker (about 50 miles on rebuild from German Transaxle in Bend, OR) geared for 97mph
Car was allegedly built in Dick Weyhrich's Las Vegas shop for the original owner
Summers brothers hubs
All original fox shocks
Rebuilt fuel cell about 12 years ago
Everything else appears to be original

Attachments

• raceco.jpg
    raceco.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 483

J Prich

Reaction
Well I was on the fence about pulling parts off of her to get my class 5 build rolling or leave it as is and race it. My kids both race (pewee dirt bike and RZR 170 with AZOP) and I want them to learn about wrenching, fabrication and racing a big car, so I picked up a 5 car chassis to start building. A good friend of mine from Oregon essentially gave me the RaceCo and wanted me to do something with it since it's been sitting in a shop for the past 10+ years. After taking possession of the car, seeing how well put together it is, and some advice from some people that are smarter than I am, I have decided to keep the car together. And I want to race it!

So for now, I plan on prepping it with the help of the kids and finding a race in Baja to run it. Any suggestions on smaller races, preferably in San Felipe area, that I could run her? I cant run it in class 12 due to the engine size. I could run it in a vintage class but I'm not sure what races other than NORRA are running a vintage class. I don't want to run in sportsman class just because there's no way in hell the car would be competitive, might be worth the fun though.

Specs on the car from what I know or was told:
Dry sump 2332 motor with TF-1 aluminum case stamped 001 (prototype)
Dual Webber intake
Bus box with all Weddle internals and a locker (about 50 miles on rebuild from German Transaxle in Bend, OR) geared for 97mph
Car was allegedly built in Dick Weyhrich's Las Vegas shop for the original owner
Summers brothers hubs
All original fox shocks
Rebuilt fuel cell about 12 years ago
Everything else appears to be original
I dig it!

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Thank you, from the bottom of my old school heart. If it matters that much, I am sure you could get some cash for that ride that would put you well on your way to the 5 car build you were going to do. People Dig old Racecos because they are so cool.

9one8racing

Reaction
Now to find some places to race it! I will probably try an AZOP race or two since my kids are already racing that series. I really want to take it to Baja though.

jon coleman

Reaction
if you do rebuild, please, Lots of pics!, us fab and prep junkies cant get enough!, thanx for saving!!

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
I’m thinking you would be very surprised how competitive that car could be in Sportsman or in Vintage (BITD/MINT 400/NORRA). Old Raceco’s are solid cars, as are Chenowth’s, Funco’s and Jimco’s. Shock tuning is the key but most of the older cars already have it figured out. I had been looking for a 2 seat Raceco for a loooong time and finally found one last December. You really can’t go wrong with a Raceco.

here’s mine when it was raced by Greg Symonds back in the late 89’s, early 90’s.....
(photo credit Trackside Photo)

4AF71E19-9460-469B-A4F7-124FC63C1998.jpeg

Here it is now, but soon to go back to the factory fiberglass side panels and front nose wing And new front bumper...

7FDD57DB-89D1-40C1-A044-C09867C01409.jpeg

trailready

ADVERTISER
Reaction
2021 NORRA 500 would be a great way to get your feet wet with a Baja Race

harleys dad

Reaction
my 1982 1600 race-co is still exstreamly competitive has been fast qualifier against huge 1600 class at Battle at primm and rage at the river. When I say huge 60 plus. Great design and all race-cos are built to last. Nice car Rory and the single seat car is real nice find

9one8racing

Reaction
Anybody know where I can find the chassis number on this car? I’m hoping to race it in Mexico and probably need that info to get across the border.

docramo

Reaction
Very unlikely to find a chassis stamp from David Kreisler at Raceco. Pretty sure he did not stamp chassis #’s. If car was green stickered in CA., there would be a VIN plate and stamp. You will need some type of registration of the car to get across the border. They do check and require paperwork. My humble opinion

jon coleman

Reaction
Arizona, I've read on other related issue threads thats the hot ticket to get Anything vehicle related registered

9one8racing

Reaction
I'll talk to a state trooper and see if I can stamp a frame number and get it registered. Might have to go through Vermont DMV though. In the mean time I've got her pretty much stripped down to her skeleton so I can prep for the first race.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
I am sure you can get it registered in Vermont. I got my Raceco that had never been registered, serial number plated by the CHP then titled and registered...here...in California. It is a process, but it can be done.

9one8racing

Reaction
I'll see if I can go through the process here in AZ first. They might be able to assign it a AZ number for special construction.