1989 F350 8 lug to 5 lug conversion?

BajaBronco13

Reaction
Hello everyone,

I have a 1989 F350 (2wd I Beam front end) that I want to convert to 5 on 5.5. It currently runs 8 lug hubs. Can it be converted to 5 lug and if so, what is required? Spindle, Brakes, etc.?

Thank you in advance.

Chris

Giant Geoff

Reaction
Here are some budget ways to make this work so you don’t have to buy expensive hubs and machine rims.

The 1980 F-125 did a bunch of different combinations and one of them where a 1”, one ton king pin with a ½ ton 5on5.5 rotor.

I’ve also herd of taking a ½ ton Dodge 5on5.5 rotor and machining out one of the race seats to fit the van 1 ton bearings.

FullsizeFun

Reaction
F350's have 8 lugs for a reason. That is a very heavy truck to be running around on only 5 Lugs. Why would you want to do this? Did you get a good deal on 5 lug wheels or something?

Wendell #527

Reaction
F350's have 8 lugs for a reason. That is a very heavy truck to be running around on only 5 Lugs. Why would you want to do this? Did you get a good deal on 5 lug wheels or something?

That's just what I was thinking. I broke my 5 on 5.5 lugs off on my Jeep so I ended up going to 8-lug when I upgraded the front and rear ends to one-tons. The 8-lug eliminated the problem. It also ended the problem of breaking the outer hubs. That's another reason not to switch in my humble opinion.

BajaBronco13

Reaction
Thanks Geoff. I appreciate you posting up some suggestions.

I just bought a 1989 F350 Centurion Bronco that I will be building up and have a set of 5 x 5.5 wheels from a previous project. I may end sticking with the 8 lugs if I got with 17 beadlock wheels.

CP

BajaBronco13

Reaction
That's just what I was thinking. I broke my 5 on 5.5 lugs off on my Jeep so I ended up going to 8-lug when I upgraded the front and rear ends to one-tons. The 8-lug eliminated the problem. It also ended the problem of breaking the outer hubs. That's another reason not to switch in my humble opinion.

Just curious but were you running standard or 5/8 studs?

CP

Wendell #527

Reaction
Just curious but were you running standard or 5/8 studs?

CP

When I first broke the standard ones I upgraded to 5/8 and I broke them, too. Mind you, this is a rock crawler Jeep and it is very heavy. I have a 401 motor with 200 hp nitros shot, detroit lockers and at the time I had 36" tires. We do extreme 4 wheeling. I was also breaking Ford 9" axles. I upgraded to a Dana 60/14 bolt and that's when I changed to the bigger hubs, 8-lug and 38.50 boggers. I really went through a lot of heartburn trying to run the smaller outers before I switched. I am definitely not slamming you at all because I tried to stay with that set up, too. I just learned the hard way and I am very much glad I went with big outers and 8-lugs. I've been wheeling with my club since 1983 and several other members of our club have done the exact same thing--switching to bigger outers and 8-lug set ups. It seems a shame to take the good big strong 8-lug and make them smaller and weaker on purpose when most people strive to go the other way. Just lending our experience, that's all! If you use it on the street only or very light wheeling with open diffs you'd be fine with small outers and 5 lug.

BajaBronco13

Reaction
Thanks Wendell. I don't feel like you are slamming me. I appreciate the info and you sharing your experience. Sounds like it's a better idea to stick with the 8 lug.

Chris