1989 Toyota Celica Transmission Question

klaus

Administrator
1989 Toyota Celica with Automatic Transmission.
Can someone ID the type of auto trans based on the picture or tell me what to look for ? I need to change the trans and someone told me they made a computer controlled and non-computer controlled trans for that year.

The shifter handle has an O/D button and there are cables going inside the trans.

Attachments

yotatech

Im sure you could call the parts dept of a toyota dealer and they would be able to tell you via the VIN#. Sorry i dont know the type off hand.

FABRICATOR

Klaus, that is very likely an A140E which is electronic. The dealer can verify with the VIN. I think the 8th digit of the VIN is the engine/transmission code on those.

orvacian

What exactly is it doing wrong? The solenoids can go bad which will cause it to mis-shift or do intermittent wierd stuff. You may not need to replace it if that is the case, just the solenoids which are inexpensive.

klaus

Administrator
Its "slipping" I have to rev it up at over 3000r's in order to drive 5mph. forward or reverse.

It did it before this major failure once and I changed filter and fluids. Then it worked for 2000 more miles or so..and now its stuck at what its doing. The car is not worth much but is otherwise in ok shape. The idea was to replace the trans (or fix) and then sell it. So the repair shall not cost more then $500.00 to make it profitable.

I can get a replacement salvage-parts trans for less then $500.00.